Facebook killed message board forums, how long before forums officially die off | Page 4

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by TidWell, Apr 15, 2018.

1. fonzob1 Red Belt

fonzob1
    Technology is constantly changing. Message boards could make a comeback if the federal government decides Facebook is a monopoly and splits it up.

TidWell likes this.
  2. TidWell Black Belt

TidWell
    Thats what sucks about Reddit the threads go down and if someone replies they dont get bumped up, I mainly post there for help forums, but a lot of my questions dont get answered, they have to get upvoted a lot to maintain the position,

I wish it were like a forum where you can bump it to see if others can answer your question.

3. TidWell Black Belt

TidWell
    Facebook said they will make a private membership for those who dont want their personal data tracked but you have to pay monthly, people will either be turned off for having to pay monthly so their data doesn't get saved or they will pay it because they are so obsessed and brand loyal to facebook.

I hope forums make a comeback, I don't care about posting on facebook, I like forums to learn and read and ask and share stories and come back to interact

4. DaleBoca Silver Belt

DaleBoca
    I’ve never had Facebook, IG or any social media. I’ve always said, I talk to the people that I need to talk to. And if I run into old friends or schoolmates and say they’ve wondered where I was I say my number has never changed. I’ve never seen the point of social media for myself.

5. FierceRedBelt Red Belt

FierceRedBelt
    I doubt it will happen dude as we're way too far down the rabbit hole to go superficially anonymous again.

Mike likes this.
  6. TidWell Black Belt

TidWell
    I don't mind facebook, my parents use it and they are old its nice seeing them being able to contact and stay in touch with long lost relatives and friends, the issue I have ist he privacy aspect.

If you lost your password they force you to fax them or email them a picture of your photo id, other forums you just have to get a password reset and answer the question.

when I lost my password and they decided I needed to send id photo I said fuck them.

7. TankAbbott4Eva Red Belt

TankAbbott4Eva
    I was on a kickarse metal forum for about 10 years, we have a closed FB group now but it's not the same. Was a clique of about 30-40 regulars, so much fun when there was a new member or a new retard ha ha, forums get kinda boring when everyone knows each other.

TidWell likes this.
  8. 21 Savage Double Yellow Card

21 Savage
    woah what this mean

9. lsa Maître d' at The Pussy Lounge

lsa
    I know that cat.

10. Legumes Shoe String Belt

Legumes
    I've seen quite a few forums that were long-standing die off in recent years. I still prefer specialized forums vs. facebook or reddit. I like the layout of boards like this one much better than those others.

TidWell likes this.
  11. BisexualMMA Don't Put My Name in the Name of Steroids!

BisexualMMA
    Facebook has to adopt Halloween colors if it wants to get to the next level.

12. Clear Winner Big Poppa Pars

Clear Winner
    Youngsters don't even use Facebook. It's all about Snapchat for them.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/feb/16/parents-killed-it-facebook-losing-teenage-users

I can only assume places like rap forums are dying off because they're not niche enough and there is too much competition. Every rap site has a comment section, so it's much easier to just rant on those instead of joining a forum.

TidWell likes this.
  13. moreorless87 Steel Belt

moreorless87
    It depends on the kind of subject of the forum I'd say, something like bodybuilding seems naturally well suited to facebook as its heavily focused on personality activity not indepth discussion

14. Clear Winner Big Poppa Pars

Clear Winner
    Kind of agree, but FB is an easy way to find out about what's happening and invite people to events. If I host a party for 100 people, I'm not going to call all of them. Also much easier to click a button and add them to a group. Also easier to keep track of who is attending as they click to confirm.

15. Bubzeh Pink Belt

Bubzeh
    I always get hit with the "BUT YOU USE FORUMS" when I say I despise social media. Different imo.

Twitter = number 1 problem in the world, over Syria and other war torn countries imo. Needs to die.
    Facebook = started out good. turned into garbage.

Instagram is actually good I'd say - ironically because you can't go on huge tangents writing wise and post nudity.

16. Clippy Ask me about chocolate bars

Clippy
    Another explanation could be that everyone's too fat to body build any more

17. Halifax Purple Belt

Halifax
    Not true.

The hfboards hockey forum still has thousands of members a day posting, and Hockey being a less popular sport makes me assume lots of other sports forums are going strong. Sherdog certainly is

IGN boards vestibule is still mega busy.

Facebook caused a decline, particularly once commenting got linked to news articles, but Reddit is a larger culprit in terms of message board decline since it is a one stop forum shop and people do not search for forums like they used to.

It is the smaller forums that are truly dying.

18. MRDOG Brown Belt

MRDOG
    Forum layouts 100 x better then Facebook layout.

Not to worry TS .. Facebook will soon start to loose it's firm grip on social media. New social media sites that pay content providers are on the rise.

Sites where Upvotes and Likes earn you money and being downvoted cost you money are the social media sites of the future.

19. ShinkanPo Gold Belt

ShinkanPo

Yup I see this trend even nich groups like collectors of a particular Brand of Guitar is much more active in Facebook than other forums nowadays.

Mike and TidWell like this.
  20. JSN #NotMyNelly

JSN
    hockey is probably the perfect sized sport for a big forum because it’s big enough to have a lot of fans but small enough where a lot of people probably can’t talk hockey with real life friends without getting blank stares.

TidWell likes this.