Facebook killed message board forums, how long before forums officially die off

Yeah wtf why did they close the forums that was the only good thing about imdb, if i had an issue with a movie or wanted to know what the meaning was id ask it there and people would help answer. I heard they even forbid you from listing actors ages or something.
The is an absolute crime against humanity. It's our generation's Holocaust.

The funniest trolling I ever saw was on their Last Samurai board. Some guy made a thread that as a real life practitioner of ninjutsu, he was highly offended that none of the ninjas in the movie turned invisible or jumped 50ft into the air and somehow got ~100 pages of butthurt responses. It was glorious.

Doesn't make sense to me. MMA updates from YouTube? It seems like that would be very time consuming to have to watch videos to piece together the news instead of just going to Junkie or glance at the front page of Sherdog.
Its lazy youtube and facebook is where most people get their updates, a lot of people are lazy to read, so they just put headphones on and listen to some random youtuber rehashe news, while checking email or social media responses, a lot of these youtubers make a living reading news clippings its weird, i read some guy on reddit he posts five videos a day of some breaking news and gets traffic, puts multiple ads on his ten minute video and needed help with taxes, he asked people about taxes since he was making 95 thousand a year off his channel he was 21 and said he never worked before and was just a college student.

I have no idea is he's guilty or not, but I think it's bullshit that a group of people try to bury dissenting opinions, regardless of how well-argued or thought-out they are.

It would be like a liberal trying to bury any conservative opinion just because it's a conservative opinion (or vice versa). That defeats the whole purpose of message boards as an open exchange of ideas.
Well the alternative with that much traffic is shit just gets buried between a thousand other responses anyway. I don't think that you can really have meaningful debates between large groups of people anyway.

The EAR/ONS board on there might be a better test of their system. I'm sure it's much lower traffic (probably much lower than mayberry too).

Well I can say in my case the interface is such a turn off that I simply don't use it all.
There’s a couple of sub Reddit’s I visit like wood working and 3D printing.
Its a great source of knowledge for diy stuff.

Well the alternative with that much traffic is shit just gets buried between a thousand other responses anyway. I don't think that you can really have meaningful debates between large groups of people anyway.

The EAR/ONS board on there might be a better test of their system. I'm sure it's much lower traffic (probably much lower than mayberry too).

Well there's a lot of people on Reddit as a whole but that doesn't mean every subreddit is overloaded.

But if you look at a forum like Sherdog, you have a Like system where you can express your approval but you can't effectively silence someone's voice. Everyone gets a fair hearing.

It's not just body builder message boards effected. All hip hop or music related boards are pretty much dead, MMA save for Sherdog, all gone. Which really is a shame. Not on this board but another I used to frequent I've met a lot of really cool, honest people in real life based off the relationships built off posting

forums are already mostly dead outside of large authority sites. sherdog for mma, bb for bodybuilding etc

niche forums or non alphas are dead and dying.

I've noticed it for sure, I think it's a combination of Reddit, Facebook, etc. Even on Sherdog this place used to be way more busy, it's still really active compared to other forums out there but you can tell it's dropped off some, which has actually been a good thing imo. The biggest one I've noticed though is the Digital Press video game forums, back around 2010-2011 that place was really one of the most active forums I had ever come across, by 2014-2015 it was dead, the place is like a ghost town now. Also the Friday The 13 fan site message boards were zapped just a while back, that place had been around for a long time but was completely dead there towards the end.

It's a message board, but not like a forum. We come here for off topic discussion, but it's primarily a MMA forum. We're probably all combat sports fans in some way. Reddit is a haven for everything. If you want to discuss it, there's a subreddit for it. It's an umbrella that destroys the specialized forum ecosystem that existed in the early to mid 2000s. The fact that Sherdog is still as active as it is is a miracle.

I think it has more to do with the rise of UFC in the mainstream media since TUF1. Nowadays it's pretty common in general media to hear mma/ufc as the toughest fighter rather than boxing which was the norm even 5 years ago.

Apparently, with people like HI around, our privacy here is fucked too.

It's not just body builder message boards effected. All hip hop or music related boards are pretty much dead, MMA save for Sherdog, all gone. Which really is a shame. Not on this board but another I used to frequent I've met a lot of really cool, honest people in real life based off the relationships built off posting

its weird people just disappeared.

Man youtube is where young people get their news, nobody searches google anymore they go straight to youtube thats where the money is at, youtube killed the blogs and facebook killed the forums

You may be right, but what I meant was (young) people would rather leave comments on youtube than facebook or forums.

I went to look on that bodybuilding. Com forums, the supplement section used to have lots of activity, now the first page of that section it has posts with replies from yesterday, before you post a topic and a few hours later your topic would be pages down.

The pro bodybuilding section is dead, i used to read that section now nobody posts, the misc is dead as well or dying

Very Sad, i prefer message boards over facebook. But facebook has killed off forums, people are too lazy to register or log in for forums even though now many forums allow you to register with your facebook instead of filling out a form

Sherdog is the only forum thats moderately active, most other forums are dead or dying.

Its crazy just three or four years ago bodybuilding.com was still popping now its slowly dying.

Look at rapmusic.com that forum has died with posts dating back to two or three years ago.

The only thing we can hope for is the facebook privacy backlash makes people jump back onto message boards and they get active again.

Sherdog still seems to be going strong...

I just don't understand these kids today. They prefer to say stupid shit under a Facebook account with their actual name instead of under the anonymity of a message board account.

Underground - has the oldest MMA fans as a group posting

Sherdog - In between

Reddit - By far the youngest MMA posters on average

Reddit MMA will be alive and kicking long after sherdog is abandoned

That said Reddit is a fucking echo chamber and if your opinion isn't in line you get downvoted to oblivion

We are all dying.

We are all dying.

latest

\\
Sherdog still seems to be going strong...

I just don't understand these kids today. They prefer to say stupid shit under a Facebook account with their actual name instead of under the anonymity of a message board account.

Sherdog is the only forum that is going strong but it still isnt like it was 5 or so years back, I remember visiting the ufc section during fights and you would have to log in the traffic was so high in those days no thread would last without being pushed back to the second or 3rd pages in a matter of minutes, its the only MMA forum probably thats why and they put up news articles so the traffic comes in.

Back