Facebook killed message board forums, how long before forums officially die off

well young people.my cousin who is 22 said he just searches youtube for mma updates and warches young turks for his news.

Doesn't make sense to me. MMA updates from YouTube? It seems like that would be very time consuming to have to watch videos to piece together the news instead of just going to Junkie or glance at the front page of Sherdog.

FB steals all your info and makes you a hard target for the next world war that is to come.

Beginning of the end for me when they killed IMDB's boards....man that effin place lol

Those boards live on through MovieChat.

Granted, MC is not nearly as active as IMDB was, but the movie-specific boards are still pretty active. The place isn't a ghost town.

It's a message board, but not like a forum. We come here for off topic discussion, but it's primarily a MMA forum. We're probably all combat sports fans in some way. Reddit is a haven for everything. If you want to discuss it, there's a subreddit for it. It's an umbrella that destroys the specialized forum ecosystem that existed in the early to mid 2000s. The fact that Sherdog is still as active as it is is a miracle.
Never posted on reddit, very ugly site and not a good system IMO.

It's a message board, but not like a forum. We come here for off topic discussion, but it's primarily a MMA forum. We're probably all combat sports fans in some way. Reddit is a haven for everything. If you want to discuss it, there's a subreddit for it. It's an umbrella that destroys the specialized forum ecosystem that existed in the early to mid 2000s. The fact that Sherdog is still as active as it is is a miracle.

What you're saying is Reddit is like Wal mart?

Never posted on reddit, very ugly site and not a good system IMO.

Reddit Enhance Suite (RES) is mandatory, but once you get a style you like, it's actually really usable.

Quality of discussion is way better here, and the community has it's draws. But for news and memes, reddit delivers. I think there's room for both, I mainly lurk on there.

I don't really like the way Reddit is set up. It's ugly and the upvoting system kind of sucks.

So I don't get why people would rather spend time on there than time on a forum that actually uses decent software and doesn't look like a clusterfuck from 1998.

Yeah its shocking how sherdog is still decently active, compared to other forums that have died off.

The thing i dont like about reddit is that your thread just dies off you cannot bump it it has to get Voted to the top, ive posted several questions that got no answers, i needed help on my computer overheating and so,e gardening issues and got no answers and couldnt bump it, thats my big pet peeve with it.

You guys are acting like its hard to get upvotes

I have 1,073 upvotes on reddit and I hardly post on it

Sherdog is a lot better than the Facecrap.

If there were some decent pussy here I would have deleted my fb but unfortunately only males))

Pussies are too busy to spend their time reading forums...

You guys are acting like its hard to get upvotes

I have 1,073 upvotes on reddit and I hardly post on it

Can't tell if this is a serious response but there have been a lot of instances of people downvoting (and therefore burying) legitimate responses just because the reigning click in that subreddit doesn't like the poster's viewpoint.

I remember it was a big problem on the Serial subreddit. Not sure if you listened to Serial, but that subreddit was basically taken over by people who thought Adnan was guilty and they would all downvoting any post that argued for Adnan's innocence. The whole system just enables a kind of censorship that stifles unpopular ideas and opinions.

Reddit IS a message board. It's just designed like something you'd find on the Internet 15 years ago for some reason.
I think theres something to be said for a clean, simple, layout. A lot of the most successful social media sites are like that and I have limited exposure to others but I mean myspace was a fucking nightmare.

I have never actually used Reddit and while I see the utility of the voting system (particularly when it comes to scale), I just prefer a community around a niche interest with linear responses.

Tidwell- I believe the authorities started cracking down hard on "supplements" in the late 00's. I could see that helping to kill off bodybuilding.com.

Plus we entered the hipsta era.

I think theres something to be said for a clean, simple, layout. A lot of the most successful social media sites are like that and I have limited exposure to others but I mean myspace was a fucking nightmare.

I have never actually used Reddit and while I see the utility of the voting system (particularly when it comes to scale), I just prefer a community around a niche interest with linear responses.

The problem with Reddit is that while I would regard it as simple, I wouldn't call it clean.

And the upcoming system is prone to abuse, as I discussed in my last post.

Beginning of the end for me when they killed IMDB's boards....man that effin place lol

Yeah wtf why did they close the forums that was the only good thing about imdb, if i had an issue with a movie or wanted to know what the meaning was id ask it there and people would help answer. I heard they even forbid you from listing actors ages or something.

Reddit IS a message board. It's just designed like something you'd find on the Internet 15 years ago for some reason.
Reddit is designed to use minimal resources so people with 15 year old computers can still use it.
With the traffic they get, the less things to go wrong the better as well.

Reddit is designed to use minimal resources so people with 15 year old computers can still use it. With the traffic they get, the less things to go wrong the better as well.

Well I can say in my case the interface is such a turn off that I simply don't use it all.

The problem with Reddit is that while I would regard it as simple, I wouldn't call it clean.

And the upcoming system is prone to abuse, as I discussed in my last post.
Adnan is guilty tho. Rabia's defense is essentially, "no like I know this guy and he's from the same community as me."

Adnan is guilty tho. Rabia's defense is essentially, "no like I know this guy and he's from the same community as me."

I have no idea is he's guilty or not, but I think it's bullshit that a group of people try to bury dissenting opinions, regardless of how well-argued or thought-out they are.

It would be like a liberal trying to bury any conservative opinion just because it's a conservative opinion (or vice versa). That defeats the whole purpose of message boards as an open exchange of ideas.

Sherdog will live forever

But srs. I feel its reddit that did the job. Bodybuilding and fitness is huge on reddit. And any topic you can think off is pretty much there.

Back