Facebook Bans Russia Today From Covering Obama's Last Days In Office

TheStruggle

Yellow Card
Banned
Reaction score
Facebook has blocked news channel RT from posting video or news content on its page. The ban will remain in place until after the inauguration of Donald Trump as US President. Soon after, RT reported that it has also been denied access to Dataminr, the Twitter-based news-breaking service that supports news agencies around the world.

Details of the ban
Facebook placed the ban on RT during coverage of President Obama’s final press conference. RT confirmed the ban:

Ivor Crotty, Head of Social media at RT, said:

the live-rights strike seems to be part of an algorithmic failure to acknowledge rights acquired by broadcasters, and we hope it will be resolved in the short term…

While Facebook is a powerful distributor of live-streams it is struggling with the rights ramifications. RT will continue text-only posts to Facebook until the issue is resolved.

RT stated that it had received no direct communication from Facebook on the matter. The news channel did share what it claims are messages between their team and the manager of the News, Media and Publishing on a Facebook group.

588080f0c46188a23c8b45ef-720x284.jpg

Image via RT

Facebook decisions
The decision comes at a time of rising tensions between the West and Russia. It also occurs in a context of seemingly arbitrary and asymmetric bans by the social media giant.

Far-right group Britain First this week issued a video in which its leader Paul Golding called on supporters to take vengeance on named targets in politics and the media. His message to all politicians and journalists who opposed his ideology was:

I can promise you all, from the depths of my being, that you will all meet your miserable end at the hands of the Britain First movement. Every last one of you.

Despite clear threats of violence against named civilian targets, the video remains in place. Facebook has refused requests for its removal, claiming the video does not contravene community standards.

Screen-Shot-2017-01-19-at-10.45.19-AM.png

Meanwhile, the social media site has blocked everything from images of breastfeeding mothers to the iconic ‘napalm girl’ image which captured the horrors of the Vietnam war. With the social media site becoming the most powerful distribution network of independent news, greater transparency over decisions is in ever higher demand.

Twitter is also current working on shutting down's RT's outreach as well.

https://www.rt.com/news/374157-facebook-blocks-rt-content/

I thought Trump was killing freedom of the press?

freedom of the press is a right that exists between government and citizens.....not citizens and facebook(private industry)

assuming that this shit is even true about rt....

freedom of the press is a right that exists between government and citizens.....not citizens and facebook(private industry)

assuming that this shit is even true about rt....
You're right, Facebook is a private company and can do what they want.

Facebook sold it's soul to Hussein and the New International Order.
Off topic:But have you guys noticed that Obama and Biden always say "New International Order" instead of "New World Order?"

Google, Facebook and any other major site will be subject to sensoring. And those that don't, Congress with Obama's help just signed the "Anti-Propaganda" act to take care of that.

It's a private company so they can do this, but it's good that people know about it also.

Both Facebook and RT suck so I don't give a shit really

Obama wouldn't stand a chance. Like even worse than me trying to fight Mike Tyson, it would be over before it started.
Tyson is way past his prime. If you stay on the outside, sticking and moving, you could wear him down and start delivering some crushing blows in the later rounds. I like Rip in a 12-rounder on this one.

Tyson is way past his prime. If you stay on the outside, sticking and moving, you could wear him down and start delivering some crushing blows in the later rounds. I like Rip in a 12-rounder on this one.
You're insane. No way. He'd kick my butt in one puch.

Plus Tyson likes Donald Trump, so even if it was in some fantasy, I couldn't do it.

Censorship of a censored news agency is still Censorship. Fuck Facebook

Isn't this where conservatives point out that FB is a private company and can do what it wants?

Why so many right-wingers rustled?

Back