Fabricio Werdum vs Alexey Oleynik set for UFC Moscow

Who Wins?

• Total voters
I hope Oleynik can catch and finish him somehow, but Werdum is definitely the favorite here

There are so many promising heavyweights in Russia (Minakov,Pavlovich,Goltsov to name just a few) and this ancient,irrelevant mediocre dude is about to represent the country via losing to Werdum in a one sided fashion. Whats the point of constantly squaring off 40+ year old guys in the heavyweight division? It feels like UFC is putting zero effort into scouting and developing/refreshing that weight class. Preliminary symptoms suggest this card won't be any better than a regular ACB/FNG card and I bet most fans in Russia won't be too impressed after it's done. If UFC inserts "goat" Artem Lobov somewehere in the main/preliminary card then it's going to be even a bigger joke overall.

As far as predictions go Werdum will be a heavy favourite,it's at the very least 70% to 30% in his favour. He's literally better everywhere except for choke hold grip strength maybe. Oleinik can squeeze pretty hard and submit guys with no ground game due to that but no way his basic stuff is going to work vs a multiple time ADCC champion. Werdum is going to TKO or submit him in a fairly dominant fashion.

Last edited:
I like they give Oleynik a shot against a top contender. Looking forward to it!

Good fight. 2 guys who have excellent submission game, but none of them have good enough takedown to get the other to the ground, so the fights stays on the feet, and Werdum has the advantage there. It will probably look a little bit like Werdum vs Tybura, with the brazilian putting the pressure on the feet using his MT.
giphy.gif

I see Werdum maybe catching Oleynik with a knee.
Fabricio%2BWerdum%2BKnees%2Band%2BFinishes%2BMark%2BHunt%2BUFC%2B180.gif

There are so many promising heavyweights in Russia (Minakov,Pavlovich,Goltsov to name just a few) and this ancient,irrelevant mediocre dude is about to represent the country via losing to Werdum in a one sided fashion. Whats the point of constantly squaring off 40+ year old guys in the heavyweight division? It feels like UFC is putting zero effort into scouting and developing/refreshing that weight class. Preliminary symptoms suggest this card won't be any better than the regular ACB/FNG card and I bet most fans in Russia won't be too impressed after it's done. If UFC inserts "goat" Artem Lobov somewehere in the main/preliminary card then it's going to be even a bigger joke overall.

As far as predictions go Werdum will be a heavy favourite,it's at the very least 70% to 30% in his favour. He's literally better everywhere except for choke hold grip strength maybe. Oleinik can squeeze pretty hard and submit guys with no ground game due to that but no way his basic stuff is going to work vs a multiple time ADCC champion. Werdum is going to TKO or submit him in a fairly dominant fashion.
That´s a good post.

Oleinik was a guest on MMA Hour some time ago and said that UFC still pays hin less than he made in his last fight in Russia (against Cro Cop).
This is sad, but if he keeps winning they will have to pay him more.

There are so many promising heavyweights in Russia (Minakov,Pavlovich,Goltsov to name just a few) and this ancient,irrelevant mediocre dude is about to represent the country via losing to Werdum in a one sided fashion. Whats the point of constantly squaring off 40+ year old guys in the heavyweight division? It feels like UFC is putting zero effort into scouting and developing/refreshing that weight class. Preliminary symptoms suggest this card won't be any better than the regular ACB/FNG card and I bet most fans in Russia won't be too impressed after it's done. If UFC inserts "goat" Artem Lobov somewehere in the main/preliminary card then it's going to be even a bigger joke overall.

Well, Minakov is Bellator fighter and Goltsov said that he turned down offer of UFC and Russian commentators said that Pavlovich turned down UFC offer too.
And about Russian fans - seems like they waited for UFC event in Russia to see someone like DC, Miocic, GSP, JDS, Velasquez - and in reality UFC probably will give to them event with Russian fighters who just fought in Russia few months/a couple of years ago + some boring wrestlers/decision machines from Dagestan and some Russian fighters who doesn't have any fans aside from their relatives. And matchmaking of the event will probably look like "Russian fighters vs. Brazilian/American/Eastern European cans".

Werdum by superior standup. Would not surprise me if it doesn' t go to the ground for even 1 second.

Werdum by superior standup. Would not surprise me if it doesn' t go to the ground for even 1 second.

Very possible. Many were hoping for a great grappling match between Barnett and Mir, but that one only went to the ground when Mir's forehead bounced off it.

Harris at least has KO power. Alexey has zero chance.

You could say "at least Oleynik has a ground game."

Werdum should be favored and for good reason, but Oleynik may surprise. Despite not many KOs, he does have power.

Well, Minakov is Bellator fighter and Goltsov said that he turned down offer of UFC and Russian commentators said that Pavlovich turned down UFC offer too.
And about Russian fans - seems like they waited for UFC event in Russia to see someone like DC, Miocic, GSP, JDS, Velasquez - and in reality UFC probably will give to them event with Russian fighters who just fought in Russia few months/a couple of years ago + some boring wrestlers/decision machines from Dagestan and some Russian fighters who doesn't have any fans aside from their relatives. And matchmaking of the event will probably look like "Russian fighters vs. Brazilian/American/Eastern European cans".

There was a surely no way any of the elite Ufc fighters were fighting on a free card in Moscow. If Russians thought that than they were sorely mistaken.

Btw the last acb card which was "stacked" according to acb fansgad Askarov vs Albaskhanov as co main.

Clearly Werdum vs Oleynik is a bigger fight.

Also Askarov is likely to be on the Prelims of this card.

If it has

Volkov vs???
Zabit vs ????
Werdum vs Oleynik
Emeev, Ankalaev, Askarov, Yan, Khabilov that's way better than even the best ACB cards

Goltsov said that he turned down offer of UFC and Russian commentators said that Pavlovich turned down UFC offer too.
I bet they got offered 10+10 or 15+15 at the very max which lead to those consequences
Well yeah,my expectations are most certainly not fullfilled. The level of MMA in Russia is pretty high because there are a lot of promotions to watch like ACB,FNG,WFCA,M-1 also RCC,Pro FC,GTC and even stuff like russian MMA union championships or combat sambo tournaments. Lots of talent everywhere too..."41 year old Oleinik vs 41 year old Werdum" is not something that stands out to me,it feels like a regular next door ACB card. I guess I'm a bit picky here,I understand that "FN" cards are not PPV's and they are not supposed to be good plus UFC is just testing the new market to see how it will react. But they still could have come up with something better than this. Oleinik is almost like a sacrificial lamb in this fight too and he is set up to lose in front of his home crowd,it'll end similar to Rumble vs Gustaffson in that regard.

Back