F.C.C. Repeals Net Neutrality Rules... Thanks Trump.

The Big Bang

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/14/technology/net-neutrality-repeal-vote.html

WASHINGTON — The Federal Communications Commission voted on Thursday to dismantle landmark rules regulating the businesses that connect consumers to the internet, granting broadband companies power to potentially reshape Americans’ online experiences.

The agency scrapped so-called net neutrality regulations that prohibited broadband providers from blocking websites or charging for higher-quality service or certain content. The federal government will also no longer regulate high-speed internet delivery as if it were a utility, like phone services.

The action reversed the agency’s 2015 decision, during the Obama administration, to better protect Americans as they have migrated to the internet for most communications.

Ajit Pai, the chairman of the commission, said the rollback of the rules would eventually help consumers because broadband providers like AT&T and Comcast could offer people a wider variety of service options. Mr. Pai was joined in the 3-to-2 vote by his two fellow Republican commissioners.

“We are helping consumers and promoting competition,” Mr. Pai said before the vote. “Broadband providers will have more incentive to build networks, especially to underserved areas.”

The discarding of net neutrality regulations is the most significant and controversial action by the F.C.C. under Mr. Pai. In his first 11 months as chairman, he has lifted media ownership limits, eased caps on how much broadband providers can charge business customers and cut back on a low-income broadband program that was slated to be expanded to nationwide carriers.

His plan, first outlined early this year, set off a flurry of opposition. Critics of the changes say consumers may have more difficulty finding content online and that start-ups will have to pay to reach consumers. In the last week, there have been hundreds of protests across the country, and many websites have encouraged users to speak up against the repeal. Some groups have said they planned to file a lawsuit challenging the change.

“I dissent, because I am among the millions outraged,” said Mignon Clyburn, one of the two Democratic commissioners who voted against the action. “Outraged, because the F.C.C. pulls its own teeth, abdicating responsibility to protect the nation’s broadband consumers.”

During Mr. Pai’s speech before the vote, security guards entered the meeting room at the F.C.C. and told everyone to evacuate the room. They did not offer details but demanded that attendees leave until the room was cleared. Commissioners were ushered out a separate back door. The hearing restarted a short time later.

Despite all the uproar, it is unclear how much will change for internet users. The rules were essentially a protective measure, largely meant to prevent telecom companies from favoring some sites over others. And major telecom companies have promised consumers that their experiences online would not change.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some of you may be interested in this more in-depth discussion that references the subject in a practical manner in regards to Youtube...etc. Some of their analogies are on point, and overall, their gloomy vibe about it all is sadly quite justified.

Last edited:
a question I have about this...

if companies then choose to throttle their speeds, or charge more for certain services or whatever....

why wouldn't competition still apply? would not the company that doesn't resort to those things intice more customers?

you know, like the cell phone market and the unlimited plans? Verizon doesn't have the total dominance it used to.....
edit: I realize that if you live in a rural locale (as I do) that you could be screwed either way due to lack of competition already

Trumpers will continue to praise Trump just because liberals are butthurt while they along with the rest of us will now have to pay more for internet.

Trump is going to lose a shitload of support in the working class over this. I guess he's just another guy for sale to the highest bidder.

if companies then choose to throttle their speeds, or charge more for certain services or whatever....

why wouldn't competition still apply? would not the company that doesn't resort to those things intice more customers?

you know, like the cell phone market and the unlimited plans? Verizon doesn't have the total dominance it used to.....
edit: I realize that if you live in a rural locale (as I do) that you could be screwed either way due to lack of competition already

Maybe but wasn't it just fine the way it was?

This is how you MAGA guys, give more power to corporations. I mean what could go wrong?

Here is a brief overview:

And here is some more basic info:

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/ap-explains-net-neutrality-matter-51782914

WHAT IS NET NEUTRALITY?

Net neutrality is the principle that internet providers treat all web traffic equally, and it's pretty much how the internet has worked since its creation. But regulators, consumer advocates and internet companies were concerned about what broadband companies could do with their power as the pathway to the internet — blocking or slowing down apps that rival their own services, for example.

WHAT DID THE GOVERNMENT DO ABOUT IT?

The FCC in 2015 approved rules, on a party-line vote, that made sure cable and phone companies don't manipulate traffic. With them in place, a provider such as Comcast can't charge Netflix for a faster path to its customers, or block it or slow it down.

The net neutrality rules gave the FCC power to go after companies for business practices that weren't explicitly banned as well. For example, the Obama FCC said that "zero rating" practices by AT&T violated net neutrality. The telecom giant exempted its own video app from cellphone data caps, which would save some consumers money, and said video rivals could pay for the same treatment. Under current chairman Ajit Pai, the FCC spiked the effort to go after AT&T, even before it began rolling out a plan to undo the net neutrality rules entirely.

A federal appeals court upheld the rules in 2016 after broadband providers sued.

WHAT TELCOS WANT

Big telecom companies hate the stricter regulation that comes with the net neutrality rules and have fought them fiercely in court. They say the regulations can undermine investment in broadband and introduced uncertainty about what were acceptable business practices. There were concerns about potential price regulation, even though the FCC had said it won't set prices for consumer internet service.

——

WHAT SILICON VALLEY WANTS

Internet companies such as Google have strongly backed net neutrality, but many tech firms have been more muted in their activism this year. Netflix, which had been vocal in support of the rules in 2015, said in January that weaker net neutrality wouldn't hurt it because it's now too popular with users for broadband providers to interfere.

——

WHAT HAPPENS NEXT

Although the FCC's two Democrats said they will oppose the proposal, the repeal is likely to prevail as Republicans dominate 3-2. The vote for net neutrality in 2015 was also along party lines, but Democrats dominated then.

In the long run, net-neutrality advocates say undoing these rules makes it harder for the government to crack down on internet providers who act against consumer interests and will harm innovation. Those who criticize the rules say undoing them is good for investment in broadband networks.

But advocates aren't sitting still. Some groups plan lawsuits to challenge the FCC's move, and Democrats — energized by public protests in support of net neutrality — think it might be a winning political issue for them in 2018 congressional elections.

Last edited:
Maybe but wasn't it just fine the way it was?
oh I'm not arguing FOR it, i'm just wondering if it will be as BAD as others are implying

that's all

I live in the middle of nowhere, w/ 1 internet provider (well for cable, we have one for DSL for the satellite people too) which is TWC/Spectrum. As of now, their services are great, so I hope it doesn't change

oh I'm not arguing FOR it, i'm just wondering if it will be as BAD as others are implying

that's all

I live in the middle of nowhere, w/ 1 internet provider (well for cable, we have one for DSL for the satellite people too) which is TWC/Spectrum. As of now, their services are great, so I hope it doesn't change

Ya I guess we will have to wait and see. I doubt it will change things all that much but I think what pisses me off is the reasoning behind it. It seems like a win for the ISP's

that's all

I'm just worried about the skyrocketing prices that may lie ahead, and not having access to certain sites.

Ya I guess we will have to wait and see. I doubt it will change things all that much but I think what pisses me off is the reasoning behind it. It seems like a win for the ISP's
which one can make a case have regional monopolies....

which is even more infuriating

didn't they learn their lesson when they had to separate Bell?

Yeah, this is a pretty bad and dumb move.

It's cool. At least the wall is getting built... right?

Considering ISPs still operate in an economy of scale, I would say traditional theories of competition don't apply.

Back