Extremely motivated,New to MMA and need advice

Take one discipline in boxing, bjj, judo, or wrestling for 2 years.

(maximum 1 grappling and 1 striking. Would only really recommend this if you are just starting combat sports and you are over the age of 20)

If you still want more and you are not being a whiny fuck, then move straight into MMA.

Take one discipline in boxing, bjj, judo, or wrestling for 2 years.

(maximum 1 grappling and 1 striking. Would only really recommend this if you are just starting combat sports and you are over the age of 20)

If you still want more and you are not being a whiny fuck, then move straight into MMA.
I'm 17,pretty much doing mma with the Instructor I have now,primarily muay Thai

OP, talent is a thing, doesn't mean you can't reach your goals but it does exist. You clearly are looking for cheerleading not actual advice. Find a legit gym even if you have to go a little hungry and train

OP, talent is a thing, doesn't mean you can't reach your goals but it does exist. You clearly are looking for cheerleading not actual advice. Find a legit gym even if you have to go a little hungry and train
CheerleadIng.? If I was looking for cheerleading I'd get my girlfriend to run around the gym top less,don't need someone who's just here to argue,I respect your opinion but I think I'd refrain from your advice,find another thread,I'm here on learn,not for someone to tell me something that you can't see is real,i don't believe in religion,so why should I believe in talent <45>

CheerleadIng.? If I was looking for cheerleading I'd get my girlfriend to run around the gym top less,don't need someone who's just here to argue,I respect your opinion but I think I'd refrain from your advice,find another thread,I'm here on learn,not for someone to tell me something that you can't see is real,i don't believe in religion,so why should I believe in talent <45>
So you'll refrain from the advice.. to find the best gym possible even if it means giving up comfort and putting yourself lower on the totem pool at first to give yourself a chance for maximum success... because I said you sound insincere.. got it

And again.. I'll ask what experience do you have going against high level athletes or competitors? Oh wait you've been training less than what a month? And are 17 correct. And you're taking a quote from a very athletic person with natural power that there isn't such a thing as talent?

Here are some legitimate questions from someone who has trained at a high level and actually been around those who succeed and fail and have obsessed with something for years.
1. Are you willing to sacrifice for your goals? Including moving, living somewhere shitty, working a shitty job so you can afford to drive two hours for the best instruction at least twice a week, or break up with your gf if necessary

2. Are you really capable of handling getting beat up and manhandled like you've never trained before every day if you go to a legit gym?

3. Have you ever lived away from home?

4. Are you athletic or have other physical tools that will aid you

5. Can you take criticism, i.e. getting chewed out or told you looked like shit by someone who can kick your ass blindfolded?

6. Have you ever actually cut weight? Or ate healthy and were disciplined about it for an extended period of time

7. Are you mean? Not a bully? mean as in you'll break someones arm or rip out your shoulder and not care if you do because they didn't tap or concede position so its their fault?

Those are the questions you need to take an honest look at. If your answer is yes to all of them, have at it.
But you also responded to my criticism like a 5 year old so I can imagine what will happen when you get chewed out for the first time

I'm here on learn,not for someone to tell me something that you can't see is real,i don't believe in religion,so why should I believe in talent <45>

How you gona learn anything when you've got the worst kind of pleb-tier epistemological nominalism?

rmongler what do you do for a living if you don't mind me asking

Chief heresiarch of sorceries diegesic and mimesic, cardinal fellow of the most ancient and accepted order of the nobles of the mystic frog (pbuh).

No not really, i just value online anonymity highly; consider me just one other random funposter out of many.

Last edited:
Here is my advice on MMA:

It is easier to defend a takedown with your hands low. It is hard to defend punches with your hands low, while threatening your opponent with powerful strikes, unless you are an expert striker. It is hard to apply expert striking against a well trained opponent who is threatening takedowns if you can't defend takedowns credibly.

It takes most people about four years of regular striking training and sparring to defend strikes with a low lead hand, confidently, against good fighters, and to do so without hurting themselves. It takes about four years of 4+ day a week grappling training to win the Expert division at a NAGA, assuming you have a great athletic base.

Most people don't come into their own in martial arts until their late twenties. Look for a good, ten year game plan.

Power Lifting 3 Days a Week
BJJ 2 Days a Week - Build to 4 Days a week.
Striking 2 Days a Week - Any style that has leg kicking and face punching. It doesn't matter what, at all, when you are 17.

Your light warm up every day before working out is to perform 100 reps of your striking technique, kicks and punches. You will build to 10 rounds of solo shadow boxing and bag work and 800 kicks, every fucking day, for your warm up.

Your four year goal is to win the Expert No Gi at a NAGA and to take 4 kick boxing matches, starting in three years, to make weight and to win all of them.

If you do all that, you have the potential to be worth watching at an amateur MMA event. If you don't, you're just throwing the dice that you scramble to the top of a shit show.

So you'll refrain from the advice.. to find the best gym possible even if it means giving up comfort and putting yourself lower on the totem pool at first to give yourself a chance for maximum success... because I said you sound insincere.. got it

And again.. I'll ask what experience do you have going against high level athletes or competitors? Oh wait you've been training less than what a month? And are 17 correct. And you're taking a quote from a very athletic person with natural power that there isn't such a thing as talent?

Here are some legitimate questions from someone who has trained at a high level and actually been around those who succeed and fail and have obsessed with something for years.
1. Are you willing to sacrifice for your goals? Including moving, living somewhere shitty, working a shitty job so you can afford to drive two hours for the best instruction at least twice a week, or break up with your gf if necessary

2. Are you really capable of handling getting beat up and manhandled like you've never trained before every day if you go to a legit gym?

5. Can you take criticism, i.e. getting chewed out or told you looked like shit by someone who can kick your ass blindfolded?

6. Have you ever actually cut weight? Or ate healthy and were disciplined about it for an extended period of time

7. Are you mean? Not a bully? mean as in you'll break someones arm or rip out your shoulder and not care if you do because they didn't tap or concede position so its their fault?

Those are the questions you need to take an honest look at. If your answer is yes to all of them, have at it.
But you also responded to my criticism like a 5 year old so I can imagine what will happen when you get chewed out for the first time
Right man,gonna heed your advice,was drunk last night,last pints before I put my head down from Monday on,I have no experience against professional fighters,but that's clear because as I said before,I'm new,until I'm 19 I'm going to be doing training until I feel like I have a fighting chance against the amateurs,I'm already planning on leaving everything behind (my family has a history of that,father left his family and country to be with my mother) to join a gym in Dublin,if there's one thing I need to make clear tho man is that I really am extremely motivated, I have so many valid reasons why I want to do professional mma in the future,now to answer your questions.1 I'll leave everything behind if it gives me the smallest chance of achieving my dream. 2. Nobody can hit me the way life did,pain is temporary, but if I quit it will last forever (awesome quote) 3 haven't lived away from home in a serious matter,I've been working on my independence (learning how to cook,clean,DIY,etc) 4. I like to think I'm athletic,if there's one thing I'm sure of my best qualities would be my reflexes,agility and speed. 5 yes,taking criticism is what I do best,that's one of the most important aspects of guitar aswell,you will fuck up constantly learning a song,but if you keep at it,you'll master it (criticism from my teachers,parents,the norm) 6 I'm on a healthy diet currently,quit smoking and no more junk food,I'm not looking to cut or gain weight,I'm looking to perfect my body,I'm an ectomorph btw. 7 funny story,one of the main reasons I was pushed around was because I was way too nice bro,always trying to help people,I have never bullied anybody in my life,I'm still going to be a nice guy but im never going to let anybody push me around again.

Sorry again for the brashness, this is my first time on a forum so I need to learn how to listen to different opinions,after all I'm new to this,is this response adequate?

Here is my advice on MMA:

It is easier to defend a takedown with your hands low. It is hard to defend punches with your hands low, while threatening your opponent with powerful strikes, unless you are an expert striker. It is hard to apply expert striking against a well trained opponent who is threatening takedowns if you can't defend takedowns credibly.

It takes most people about four years of regular striking training and sparring to defend strikes with a low lead hand, confidently, against good fighters, and to do so without hurting themselves. It takes about four years of 4+ day a week grappling training to win the Expert division at a NAGA, assuming you have a great athletic base.

Most people don't come into their own in martial arts until their late twenties. Look for a good, ten year game plan.

Power Lifting 3 Days a Week
BJJ 2 Days a Week - Build to 4 Days a week.
Striking 2 Days a Week - Any style that has leg kicking and face punching. It doesn't matter what, at all, when you are 17.

Your light warm up every day before working out is to perform 100 reps of your striking technique, kicks and punches. You will build to 10 rounds of solo shadow boxing and bag work and 800 kicks, every fucking day, for your warm up.

Your four year goal is to win the Expert No Gi at a NAGA and to take 4 kick boxing matches, starting in three years, to make weight and to win all of them.

If you do all that, you have the potential to be worth watching at an amateur MMA event. If you don't, your just throwing the dice that you scramble to the top of a shit show.

Beautiful man,gonna write that all down later,awesome advice

qft

Explain that abbreviation please,no idea what it means haha,btw,I think I'm going to leave bjj for a while,I'll do 1 class a week just to write down the basics,I want to focus on stand up (muay Thai,kickboxing,tae-kwon-do) because I just feel like it's more natural to me rn,plus money is really tight so I have to choose wisely,does that change any of the advice?

Explain that abbreviation please,no idea what it means haha,btw,I think I'm going to leave bjj for a while,I'll do 1 class a week just to write down the basics,I want to focus on stand up (muay Thai,kickboxing,tae-kwon-do) because I just feel like it's more natural to me rn,plus money is really tight so I have to choose wisely,does that change any of the advice?

quoted for truth.

No. Take another job. I am a hobbyist who likes martial arts. When I was 18, I worked two jobs so I could afford to ride the bus to kung fu class, and I didn't even want to fight or teach or put on a show. That was just what I was about. You have to want that shit a lot more than I did.

Don't bullshit. Be about it.

quoted for truth.

No. Take another job. I am a hobbyist who likes martial arts. When I was 18, I worked two jobs so I could afford to ride the bus to kung fu class, and I didn't even want to fight or teach or put on a show. That was just what I was about. You have to want that shit a lot more than I did.

Right now my job is a musician,I get enough money to train 5-6 days a week so I should be alright with the stand up for now,im trying to get a full-time job currently,would it be best with early morning shifts or late night shifts? Just wondering which would impede my training less

quoted for truth.

My main motivation? Due to my shitty choices my family will be in debt for an extremely long time,I'm going to fight for the well being of my family and myself,it's really easy to call someone out when you have no idea who they are,Im not going to settle for second place,bullshitting won't get me that money back,fighting will

Chief heresiarch of sorceries diegesic and mimesic, cardinal fellow of the most ancient and accepted order of the nobles of the mystic frog (pbuh).

No not really, i just value online anonymity highly; consider me just one other random funposter out of many.
No worries just curious where you acquired such an artful vocab

Right man,gonna heed your advice,was drunk last night,last pints before I put my head down from Monday on,I have no experience against professional fighters,but that's clear because as I said before,I'm new,until I'm 19 I'm going to be doing training until I feel like I have a fighting chance against the amateurs,I'm already planning on leaving everything behind (my family has a history of that,father left his family and country to be with my mother) to join a gym in Dublin,if there's one thing I need to make clear tho man is that I really am extremely motivated, I have so many valid reasons why I want to do professional mma in the future,now to answer your questions.1 I'll leave everything behind if it gives me the smallest chance of achieving my dream. 2. Nobody can hit me the way life did,pain is temporary, but if I quit it will last forever (awesome quote) 3 haven't lived away from home in a serious matter,I've been working on my independence (learning how to cook,clean,DIY,etc) 4. I like to think I'm athletic,if there's one thing I'm sure of my best qualities would be my reflexes,agility and speed. 5 yes,taking criticism is what I do best,that's one of the most important aspects of guitar aswell,you will fuck up constantly learning a song,but if you keep at it,you'll master it (criticism from my teachers,parents,the norm) 6 I'm on a healthy diet currently,quit smoking and no more junk food,I'm not looking to cut or gain weight,I'm looking to perfect my body,I'm an ectomorph btw. 7 funny story,one of the main reasons I was pushed around was because I was way too nice bro,always trying to help people,I have never bullied anybody in my life,I'm still going to be a nice guy but im never going to let anybody push me around again.

Sorry again for the brashness, this is my first time on a forum so I need to learn how to listen to different opinions,after all I'm new to this,is this response adequate?
You're giving all the "right" answers.. to a point however you haven't trained with real athletes beyond recreational games of football on the pitch.. and you talk about your athletic abilities like well.. a musician, nothing wrong with that. It's simply that your looking at it like an academic who's read about it but barely done it yet and I can tell by the way you talk about your bodytype and athletic ablitity, which again is fine. Just stop saying stupid shit like talent doesn't exist when you've never been around or done what is being talked about except at a little gym. I'm not saying you can't overcome or achieve your goals. You just have to be realistic to achieve them. I'm speaking form experience btw

And you're going to have to take a better look about how mean you can actually be. And you really need to train your grappling... not just your bjj.. but your wrestling too. Don't be the typical Euro fighter who can strike and throw shitty subs from bottom but not much else

You're giving all the "right" answers.. to a point however you haven't trained with real athletes beyond recreational games of football on the pitch.. and you talk about your athletic abilities like well.. a musician, nothing wrong with that. It's simply that your looking at it like an academic who's read about it but barely done it yet and I can tell by the way you talk about your bodytype and athletic ablitity, which again is fine. Just stop saying stupid shit like talent doesn't exist when you've never been around or done what is being talked about except at a little gym. I'm not saying you can't overcome or achieve your goals. You just have to be realistic to achieve them. I'm speaking form experience btw

And you're going to have to take a better look about how mean you can actually be. And you really need to train your grappling... not just your bjj.. but your wrestling too. Don't be the typical Euro fighter who can strike and throw shitty subs from bottom but not much else
Yeh man I need to be more humble,it's just this is all new to me and I have a habit of doing tons and tons of research on a new passion,my first spar is on Friday so I'll let you know how I do haha

Back