Explosive decompression on Southwest Air flight. (Passenger partially sucked out of fuselage)

I remember this incident in Hawaii. I was amazed the plane flew in this condition and safely landed.

I remember that too. I remember seeing images of people who sat in those seats in the damaged section with blood all over their faces. I don't recall how many died though. And, I wonder what they did to correct the problem going forward.

That's a hell of a story to tell everyone at a house party when everyone is coked off their face and it's story time..

"No seriously! I was sucked out of a fucking plane and then pulled back in"

She died. She was the one casualty on the flight.

I remember this incident in Hawaii. I was amazed the plane flew in this condition and safely landed.

I remember watching the crappy TV movie about this when I was a kid.

Excellent job by the pilot getting that down on the ground. I'm impressed that the pilot handled the IFE that way.

Now I think about it, you could argue that it's the artificially pressurised atmosphere in the aircraft fuselage (or spaceship) that causes the egress airflow when the craft ruptures, or door opens or whatever, rather than the naturally lower pressure outside being responsible.

When you blow air through your lips, it isn't because the atmospheric pressure outside your head has lowered and thus "sucked" the air from your mouth - you've increased the air pressure in your mouth and thus "blown" the air out.

Perhaps that's why smug twats like Data off of TNG correct people?

True Story.

Westjet flights here in Canada give you access to Discovery Channel shows and one show I love to watch is called MayDay which is an examination of real airline crashes. The start of each episode usually starts with the spectacular and sensationalized crash.

So I am seated on this flight and sure enough MayDay is an option to watch. Without thinking about it I pop it on before we even take off and put my ear buds in. Sitting beside me is a couple and I look over at the horrified look on the ladies face as she is looking at my screen and the plane crash as it cartwheels into flames during takeoff unfolding in the sensationalized opening of the show. her man is looking at me in disgust.

i quickly turn off the show, and say to them, "oops I did not know what this show was about and its probably not appropriate for a flight. Boy I wish there was some type of warning" and it was left at that for an otherwise awkward flight the rest of the way. I glanced her way during take off and she was clinging to her man with her head on his shoulder.

Ya I felt bad. Wanted to watch the rest of the episode but didn't.

Tell them if they dont want to see what is on your screen that you could gouge their eyes foe them.

tenor.gif

Mate, me too. This is like one my biggest fears of flying. What if some prick has a gun and shoots a hole in the side of the plane near me? Am I going to get sucked the fuck out of the tiny hole like that Alien in that movie? Can that even happen? I don't know but its worth thinking about.

Stick your dick in the hole. Trust me.

Last edited:
Don't worry you'll lose consciousness before you hit the ground. @dc007
it would be a blessing if you did.

That said it would depend on what altitude the plane was at when the blow out happened. At 35,000 feet anyone would surely black out due to oxygen starvation but they might wake back up as they got to lower altitudes and had fresh rushing air hitting their face like a slap. They might then again pass out due to fear but with my skydiving experience I think i would be watching the entire ride down to the ground.

That would be the most excruciating ~3 minutes of free fall time ever (for whatever part you were awake) as all you would focus on is how much this impact would suck.

At that realization point I would hope that i simply embraced it and went out like a boss swan diving that bitch.

tumblr_o0cqom3RnW1s6ayelo1_500.gif

I remember watching the crappy TV movie about this when I was a kid.

I remember that flick..

I still can picture when the little kid is pointing up at the hole in the ceiling and then BOOM!

There’s 10,000+ planes in the air at any given time. It’s exceptionally safe.

From the article:

"It was the first passenger fatality on a U.S. airline since 2009."

Flying a US airline is safer than eating a sandwich. Safer than ANYTHING.

it would be a blessing if you did.

That said it would depend on what altitude the plane was at when the blow out happened. At 35,000 feet anyone would surely black out due to oxygen starvation but they might wake back up as they got to lower altitudes and had fresh rushing air hitting their face like a slap. They might then again pass out due to fear but with my skydiving experience I think i would be watching the entire ride down to the ground.

That would be the most excruciating ~3 minutes of free fall time ever (for whatever part you were awake) as all you would focus on is how much this impact would suck.

At that realization point I would hope that i simply embraced it and went out like a boss swan diving that bitch.

tumblr_o0cqom3RnW1s6ayelo1_500.gif

Thanks for the details. Now I won't be able to go skydiving. :confused: :eek:

Back