Explosions at Brussels Central Station (suspect with suicide belt neutralized, no casualties)

You made a disingenuous post defending refugees, and are a proven apologist. It has everything to do with what we were talking about.

I wasn't defending refugees and I'm not an apologist. Get off it.

I tried to give you the benefit of doubt but now I have to agree with the others in this thread that you're being disingenuous.

How so?

The original comment mentioned refugees. I said that statistically, it is more likely to be a Westerner. How would per capita even factor in? It wouldn't unless the argument were, the likelihood of the perpetrator is probably a refugee because they have a higher rate of violence per capita, which is something that I fully agree with.

A trans person actually making sense.
Bjpennnodding.gif

Blaire copied me.

No, but I already had the answer in mind. Islam/Muslim is treated as if it denotes a race of people. It's seen as a 'brown person's' religion, and since anti-Islamists tend to be white (and since there's a history of discrimination), people are quick to assume that they're criticizing Muslims as a whole and as people. It's unfortunate that we can't just discuss Islam without having to spend hours on end knocking down the same straw-man.

dde95c5880a6c19283ebacbd55a18ba3.jpg

lol, where the fuck are you getting these figures?
I don't know, but knowing Brussels quite well this guy was probably not a refugee. Lot's of third generation scum here.

problem is these suicide belts are so damn fashionable. Soon people on London runways will be wearing them.

I'm sure holiday makers and tourists are lining up to visit Belgium now

Don't see how that's relevant to my post. Was Belgium ever a popular holiday destination? I mean, I'd say I'd go for the beer but you can get it all in The NL.

Don't see how that's relevant to my post. Was Belgium ever a popular holiday destination? I mean, I'd say I'd go for the beer but you can get it all in The NL.

It's relevant because the true cost of having these fuckers in your country is huge!

When you consider:

1. Lost revenue from lack of tourists.

2. Hiring extra and better armed police and security.

3. The fact that people can't walk the streets without fear. Can't put a price on peace of mind.

4. Loss of national identity as churches close every week and new mosques open every week.

Belgium is pretty popular for tourists. Good beer, chocolate and waffles. It has a long history as the battlefield of Europe.

It's relevant because the true cost of having these fuckers in your country is huge!

When you consider:

1. Lost revenue from lack of tourists.

2. Hiring extra and better armed police and security.

3. The fact that people can't walk the streets without fear. Can't put a price on peace of mind.

4. Loss of national identity as churches close every week and new mosques open every week.

Belgium is pretty popular for tourists. Good beer, chocolate and waffles. It has a long history as the battlefield of Europe.

But you were replying to me saying that it was a 100% successful operation. Terrorist dead, bomb disarmed and nobody hurt. If they shot him more times would it've improved the tourism industry? no.

I don't disagree with any of those 4 points, and they are relevant points. They just don't seem to be related to my post in any way.

But you were replying to me saying that it was a 100% successful operation. Terrorist dead, bomb disarmed and nobody hurt. If they shot him more times would it've improved the tourism industry? no.

I don't disagree with any of those 4 points, and they are relevant points. They just don't seem to be related to my post in any way.

Yeah, I agree, I wasn't challenging that it was a successful operation. But, these kinds of attacks have repercussions far beyond someone not dying. I was just highlighting that.

Yeah, I agree, I wasn't challenging that it was a successful operation. But, these kinds of attacks have repercussions far beyond someone not dying. I was just highlighting that.

Fair enough. I'm well aware everything isn't hunky dory. I'm just glad nobody was hurt and the terrorist is dead (not detained at the taxpayer's expense).

That's absolutely true. But how do you not understand the importance of per-capita as it relates to that statement?

That's a totally meaningless statement if you don't take in consideration the difference in number between the refugees and the non-refugees.

Per-capita definitely is something to be looked at, but you also have to recognize its limitations as a tool. While they do represent a minority percentage of the population, that also means that any attacks will cause a disproportionate increase in per-capita numbers.

Look at it this way. If you have 100 oranges and 2 apples and one apple is bad, that would technically mean that 50% per capita are bad apples, but that simply isn't a good enough number to further assume that half of all apples are most likely bad. If you added two more apples and no bad ones, that percentage drops to 25% with still a minority representation of population. You could have 30 bad oranges from the oranges, and still wouldn't have reach the percentage of 2 per capita bad apples. So what percentage of the population does Islam represent?

So yes, there is a higher per-capita percentage of attacks from them, but it's not telling the entire story. And @KILL KILL is right that most just want peaceful lives without violence. It's an extreme minority that's causing most of the issues, and other Muslims are their most frequent targets.

And ultimately, any sort of targeted ban is going to be nearly impossible. The real problem in my eyes is that these guys are quite often reported and monitored by intelligence services without any sort of criminal prosecution.

Per-capita definitely is something to be looked at, but you also have to recognize its limitations as a tool. While they do represent a minority percentage of the population, that also means that any attacks will cause a disproportionate increase in per-capita numbers.
Well, that's the fucking point isn't it ?

In regards to your apples and oranges analogy it's funny how you assume that most of those who fled their countries are bad apples but most of those who stayed are good apples. How convenient!

In regards to the minority myth, it is true that those carrying out violent attacks are a minority but according to intelligence agencies that minority is between 15% and 25% meaning between 150 million and 350 million. That's a pretty big minority if you ask me. That's more or less the size of the Russian population and the size of the American population.

But even more worrying and why I said the minority thing was a myth, it has been shown time and time again that even so called moderate Muslims hold deeply radical beliefs. And not just in Muslim countries either. Just take a look at the polls carried out in the UK.

So all this "minority talk" is just a waste of time and is usually apologist rethoric. Of course not all Muslims are terrible people who want to wage jihad, but enough of them are for us to be severely concerned.

Islam is cancer.

Back