Experienced fighters (wrestlers, judokas, MMA) smashing white belts in BJJ competitions

cakemuncher

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Rules are (e.g. IBJJF rule book) that fighters with a 'proven experience' in other martial arts, such as competing in nationwide tournaments, cannot compete as white belts. However, no one seems to be checking competitors' backgrounds, so it is very common in major BJJ competitions to see such experienced fighters smash true white belts (= beginners) and easily win multiple golds.

What are we supposed to do about such cases? Report them to the organizers? Or simply ignore it because no one really cares about white belt medals?

Rules are (e.g. IBJJF rule book) that fighters with a 'proven experience' in other martial arts, such as competing in nationwide tournaments, cannot compete as white belts. However, no one seems to be checking competitors' backgrounds, so it is very common in major BJJ competitions to see such experienced fighters smash true white belts (= beginners) and easily win multiple golds.

What are we supposed to do about such cases? Report them to the organizers? Or simply ignore it because no one really cares about white belt medals?
What if you have a slow promoting coach like Holt did and you won't get promoted quickly or maybe until you win that comp...

I don't think you quoted the rules properly.

However, I don't think it is fair. A judo black belt is not allowed to compete at white belt level in ibjjf competition.

I coached judo black belts in my Bjj club and their skills really varies from one person to another. Also the judo rules are so different that it takes a while for a competitor to make the transition.

I always err on the side of caution. Let them smash white belts in their first tournament but after that if you actually do very well then move up

You answered your own question. Just report it to officials, who will ignore it because no one really cares about white belt medals.

White belt is a big rank. New white belts are supposed to get smashed. A guy with a background will go to blue faster but he won't smash other white belts close to blue belt easily and he won't smash the new white belts anymore than the legitimate high white belts will. I reiterate, new white belts are supposed to get smashed.

I won my first tournament and in my first match I had to overcome a Judo black belt. If I had lost I wouldn't have been upset. I would have been motivated.

Back