Exercises to obtain a crazy base

flikerstance

floridaman
Banned
Reaction score
trying to find some exercises t do to develope insane balance when passing guard and putting pressure at same time maybe yoga could help any ideas

Squats and deadlifts. GHDs, hyperextensions, and good mornings for accessories.

Find the guard passes that suit your body levers and mobility. That's one thing that I think most instructors fail to see in individuals, since they have to teach big groups.

W
Find the guard passes that suit your body levers and mobility. That's one thing that I think most instructors fail to see in individuals, since they have to teach big groups.
well passing is def the weakest part in Jiu jitsu atm most teachers can't chain passes well past 2 moves

That and more passing drills.

Yeah, in jiujitsu your central of gravity i.e. your hips, is the most important part of establishing a heavy, firm base.

That said, it's also good to build mass in the glutes and legs to anchor yourself to the ground.

Id have to say work on technique. I've been crushed 100 times worse by a 70kg purple belt than a 100kg white belt who was like rolling with a pillow.

Id have to say work on technique. I've been crushed 100 times worse by a 70kg purple belt than a 100kg white belt who was like rolling with a pillow.

His sig indicates that he's a black belt. I don't think technique is an issue for him.

Last edited:
Oh right.. on my phone didn't see. I'll just go fuck myself then!

Lulz. Chillax, dude.

If you turn your cellphone sideways, you can see the signatures.

Yours truly,

Thunderhead

I will look at my phone the right way up goddamit.

This. There's nothing wrong with getting stronger, if you're weak you'll be easier to handle. But practice is what's going to make guard passes happen. And yeah I rolled with Erik Paulson and it was like being parked on by a dump truck. That's a skill thing.

trying to find some exercises t do to develope insane balance when passing guard and putting pressure at same time maybe yoga could help any ideas

Exercises to develop balance? Well for one I would think you should strengthen your entire pelvic girdle. Squats and deadlifts will keep those chains nice and strong while allowing you to be flexible. From there I would say drill technique and apply the strength properly. Balance training is really about 50% proper technique and 50% practice. You just need to continue putting your body in those positions and get used to it. Most "balance training" with bosu balls and shit is useless crap. Balance is strength, technique, and practice.

i ask for my students they all seem to have horrible base just some trying tot each a basic standing guard break they cant stand properly so to get there base balance solid some drills to do exercises

i ask for my students they all seem to have horrible base just some trying tot each a basic standing guard break they cant stand properly so to get there base balance solid some drills to do exercises

Have them practice more. This sounds like a technique issue more than anything. Sit them down and have them run through the moves step by step in a super slow run through. Run through their daily drills. What all are you having them do?

Back