Exercise throughout the entire day - good or bad?

Hotora86

war in the ring, never outside
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Looking for some Sherbro advice.

I work a normal 9 to 5 job. Once a week I can work from home but I still gotta do tasks and monitor stuff on the PC for 8+ hrs - so I'm stuck at home. To relax I take tiny breaks every 30-40 min and do some basic exercise: 10 pullups, 10 pushups, 10 squats. So within a 8hr workday I do approx 140 pullups, pushups and squats. If I don't go to the gym in the evening I do some more "breaks" in the evening and end up with 200+ pullups, pushups and squats.

Questions:

1. Is that doing anything at all for my physique? Muscle gain? Fat loss?

2. Is it hurting my workout gains (3 x week in the gym, FBW for 50 min)?

3. Should I keep doing it or is it better to chill the whole day and then hit the gym in the evening?

I'm 30 yo, 73 kg (160 lbs), 182 cm (6 ft), 13-14% bodyfat.

Thanks for your advice.

Last edited:
It's a great form of training. And is basically used by every Olympic weightlifter and Olympic gymnast in the world.

If you want muscle and strength, look into the book The Naked Warrior by Pavel Tsatsouline and the internet article High Frequency Training by Chad Waterbury. The Pavel book is easy to find if you're a torrent pirate. The basic idea is to do the heaviest movements possible, tensing your muscles as hard as possible, while staying as fresh as possible (meaning you end your sets before the reps start diminishing in quality), and then doing this workout as many times as possible. The idea is to practise generating as much tension as possible in the muscles without ever accumulating fatigue... so you stop the sets before they become difficult. You must do movements that you can only do for 5-8 reps and only perform half your maximum reps in each set, but tensing your entire musculature as hard as possible.

If you want to build up reps and endurance, look up Pavel's NASA push-up program and his Fighter's Pull-Up Program.

It's a great form of training. And is basically used by every Olympic weightlifter and Olympic gymnast in the world.

If you want muscle and strength, look into the book The Naked Warrior by Pavel Tsatsouline and the internet article High Frequency Training by Chad Waterbury. The Pavel book is easy to find if you're a torrent pirate. The basic idea is to do the heaviest movements possible, tensing your muscles as hard as possible, while staying as fresh as possible (meaning you end your sets before the reps start diminishing in quality), and then doing this workout as many times as possible. The idea is to practise generating as much tension as possible in the muscles without ever accumulating fatigue... so you stop the sets before they become difficult. You must do movements that you can only do for 5-8 reps and only perform half your maximum reps in each set, but tensing your entire musculature as hard as possible.

If you want to build up reps and endurance, look up Pavel's NASA push-up program and his Fighter's Pull-Up Program.
I think I found the article:
https://www.t-nation.com/training/new-high-frequency-training

I just read the article and that's not the one I was referring to. I can't find the one I was referring to, actually. Maybe I was thinking of his high frequency training book.

Anyways, you have two options.

Do Waterbury's suggestion and do one exercise in a high frequency manner, outside of your regular training, and slowly build up to high reps.

The other is the Tsatsouline / Naked Warrior full body workout many times a day in which you try to generate as much tension as possible in your entire musculature while avoiding fatigue.

Since you're already doing push-ups, pull-ups and squats, I would go with the second option. Start working on one-arm pull-ups, one-arm push-ups and one-leg squats. So for push-ups you would do them against the wall, flexing your hands/abs/butt as maximally as possible in addition to flexing your lats, shoulders, chest and arms as maximally as possible. Do as many reps as you can before the rep form / tempo begins to falter, then stop. Do another set or two, stopping as soon as the rep quality decreases. If wall one-arm push-ups are easy, then start leaning against a counter or table.

Do the same thing with one-arm pull-ups / rows and one-leg squats as you start in a doable position and slowly make it harder.

Focus on practising your ability to fully flex all the target muscles throughout the entire movement. Moving to harder and harder positions is just an added benefit as you get stronger. It's not a workout, it's a practise -- you need to keep yourself fresh -- and you need to practise as much as possible.

You know how you can flex your bicep so hard that your entire arm and torso start shaking? Learn to flex your entire body that hard. Pecs, lats, traps, abs, butt, quads, hams, everything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back