Exciting Greco-Roman Wrestlers

ArtemV

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Can anybody recommend me of any to watch?

I have been watching Akzhol Makhmudov (Kyrgyzstan), he is a really exciting greco wrestler and I have no doubt that he will win future worlds and maybe even get a gold in the olympic games.

He won the junior Asian wrestling championship and has now won the Senior Asian Wrestling Championships and didn't really get tested.

Here is his match with Kamal Bey last year:

Apparently Makhmudov had a broken rib, which is kind of a big deal.. but Kyrgyzstan doesn't really get gold, but they have hit home with this young greco star imo.

I like the Armenian team too. Guys like Aleksanyan (3x world champ, olympic bronze + gold medalist). Maksim Manukyan (2017 world gold medalist) and Migran Harutunyan (olympic silver medalist).

Who else can you recommend? Preferably modern as I would like to pay more attention to greco this year, as I only watched the greco at worlds last year.

Life hack for finding spicy international wrestling matches: type 'GR kg: df. by VFA' or 'GR kg: df. by TF' into the youtube search bar.
(Optionally include the weight number for specific weighclasses, or names in the format for even more specific searching. For freestyle replace 'gr' with 'fs').

Last edited:
Can anybody recommend me of any to watch?

I have been watching Akzhol Makhmudov (Kyrgyzstan), he is a really exciting greco wrestler and I have no doubt that he will win future worlds and maybe even get a gold in the olympic games.

He won the junior Asian wrestling championship and has now won the Senior Asian Wrestling Championships and didn't really get tested.

Here is his match with Kamal Bey last year:

Apparently Makhmudov had a broken rib, which is kind of a big deal.. but Kyrgyzstan doesn't really get gold, but they have hit home with this young greco star imo.

I like the Armenian team too. Guys like Aleksanyan (3x world champ, olympic bronze + gold medalist). Maksim Manukyan (2017 world gold medalist) and Migran Harutunyan (olympic silver medalist).

Who else can you recommend? Preferably modern as I would like to pay more attention to greco this year, as I only watched the greco at worlds last year.

I was gonna suggest Bey himself. He just won the Granma Cup in Cuba Id check those matches out. Also, you know Migran Harutunyan is supposedly gonna fight MMA right?

Jesse Thielke is pretty fun to watch but kinda inconsistent. And Spencer Mango is retired but his HL reel is so much fun.

I was gonna suggest Bey himself. He just won the Granma Cup in Cuba Id check those matches out. Also, you know Migran Harutunyan is supposedly gonna fight MMA right?
Yep, he is signed with dominance MMA, (management of Khabib, Islam, Brunson, Gastelum, etc). I don't know when he will debut, but maybe it will be at some smaller shows first. Like FNG. It will be interesting for sure.

Yep, he is signed with dominance MMA, (management of Khabib, Islam, Brunson, Gastelum, etc). I don't know when he will debut, but maybe it will be at some smaller shows first. Like FNG. It will be interesting for sure.
I will believe it when I see it. For some reason some of these world class guys who announce their intent to compete in MMA either take quite a while or wind up staying in wrestling. I can think of quite a few wrestlers both new and older that either fought MMA once and quit of never ended up fighting. Deron Winn who fought a few pro MMA fights and looked incredible just announced he was coming back to wrestling (though not formally giving up on MMA). Bilyal Makhov as you know signed with the UFC, then was quite, then said he was nursing injuries, then started wrestling again. Aleksey Krupnyakov entered MMA a few years back and did very well but hasn't fought since. Back in the late 90s/early 2000s a whole bunch of world class guys tried MMA, lost badly, and never fought again. I guess its really hard mentally to go from being the best in the world at wrestling for a long time and then feeling like a total noob in MMA.

Back