Excited to Start a Program - Want to Review It First?

CataXL

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I took all the advice from my previous post and I have been working the past couple of days to get a routine together. I’ve been walking early in the morning and doing some light exercise, but I feel like a more established routine will help me become consistent. Hmm, I think that’s the definition of “routine,” but whatever lol. Anyway, I’ve found a plan online that I like. That, combined with advice I have read on Starting Strength, across this forum, and in the comments of the exercise program I will link has given me a good idea of what I want to do. The biggest problem is that I will need to find substitution exercises for a few of the ones I do not have the equipment for. I don’t have the money to start a gym membership just yet, but I have some gear here that will work for now.

I realize diet is also extremely important, but I want to start one thing at a time. I feel like I could research and critique all of this to the point that I never actually do anything.

Would love opinions on whether or not this is something you would recommend starting out. Because of how bad my current condition is, I will gauge how I have done in the first week and determine then if maybe doing each week twice in a row would be more helpful.

Original article: http://www.muscleandfitness.com/wor...complete-mf-beginners-training-guide-0?day=28

Somebody was nice enough to compile the original click-fest into one document: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qmZKxW3A7zxwKYROecE33g78o-VNrRqr9E2BmOCsgzE/edit

I’ll be starting the routine at 4am, and it should go as follows:

4am – 10 minutes warming up

4:10 – however long it takes to do the exercises… I’m guessing around an hour

5:10 – 1 mile walk followed with some light stretching

Tonight, I plan to play around with each exercise and find out where I need to start the weights. At least a reasonable estimation. I can always adjust it.

Equipment I have available:

The stack gym I talked about in my previous post.

Two 25lb and two 10lb dumbbells

A bicycle

15lb kettlebell

Some bricks and a 2x10 plank for a bench

Adjustable weighted vest that goes from 10 lbs to 40 lbs

I don’t have a bar or ez-bar yet, but I have a couple of straps and few giant oxygen tanks I can lift, and I have an old railroad tie I can workout with.

Any suggestions would be awesome. I'm not a very strong person. Even on the machine doing the seated bench press, I have a lot of difficulty doing 10 reps @ 40lbs. Can’t wait to get this started Monday :D

Strength training goal if I narrowed it down to just one exercise: I want to bench 120 lbs :)

I have no suggestions, but i wish you the best of luck.

Just get started, have fun and enjoy starting your routine, if it's working keep it, if something's not working for you then re-evaluate and change it.

I hope this is something that really helps you.

Whatever program you do the most important component is consistency. Stick with it and you'll get something out of it. Conversely even the best program won't work if you don't do it.

Since you mentioned diet, I'd simply recommend cleaning it up if you currently eat poorly. Just eating good whole foods in place of junk will yield benefits w/o being fanatical about counting calories.

Good luck.

Back