Excellent WAPO Article on How Trump Administration Manipulates Press

HomeCheese

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Really nice story on how Trump administration attempts to manipulate press coverage and claim false reporting. It's a quick read with several examples and paints a clear picture of what is happening. Here is a short exert from article:

[As Byers suggested, there does appear to be a strategy that Team Trump executed throughout the campaign and carried into the White House: When a journalist asks for comment on what seems sure to be an unfavorable story, do not provide one. Wait for the report to be published, then attack it as unfair or inaccurate. Maybe even act as if you didn't have a chance to tell your side of the story.]

Like many have been saying all along, no one like fake news more than Trump. This is why he hired Steve Bannon and continues to repeat false claims over and over again. This article clearly points out one of their strategies for trying to discredit the media.

A free and active press has been one of the bedrocks of our democracy and it's currently under attack. This sounds crazy but I believe there is a psychological warfare being waged right before our eyes.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...lanced-media-coverage/?utm_term=.0ee40abe4ad7

It's hard to argue with him when there's been proof of false stories being ran against him ever since he started running for president. All it takes is an anonymous tweet, then all the sudden Trump is pissing on Russian hookers.

It's hard to argue with him when there's been proof of false stories being ran against him ever since he started running for president. All it takes is an anonymous tweet, then all the sudden Trump is pissing on Russian hookers.

Hardly. NYT, WAPO are some of the most respected papers on the planet. Im guessing I could point out more bits of misinformation that have come out of PapaHair's mouth than there have been fake stories from well regarded new sources;, I would have won the popular vote if not for voter fraud, violent crime highest in 40 years, highest inauguration audience, 1,000's if Islamists cheering 9/11 in Jersey.....

[QUOTE="HomeCheese, post: 127593559, member: 35145]Im guessing I could point out more bits of misinformation that have come out of PapaHair's mouth than there have been fake stories from well regarded new sources[/QUOTE]
Politicians lie. We all know this. Why do "respected news sources" lie? Couldn't possibly be a narrative involved or any type of bias. I could tweet CNN that Trump bought a gun illegally in 1993 and it would be the top story. Anything anti-trump gets reported, regardless of if it's real or fake news, and that's sad.

Hardly. NYT, WAPO are some of the most respected papers on the planet. Im guessing I could point out more bits of misinformation that have come out of PapaHair's mouth than there have been fake stories from well regarded new sources;, I would have won the popular vote if not for voter fraud, violent crime highest in 40 years, highest inauguration audience, 1,000's if Islamists cheering 9/11 in Jersey.....

Remember when Trump accused Obama of assassination?

Politicians lie. We all know this. Why do "respected news sources" lie? Couldn't possibly be a narrative involved or any type of bias. I could tweet CNN that Trump bought a gun illegally in 1993 and it would be the top story. Anything anti-trump gets reported, regardless of if it's real or fake news, and that's sad.

At least you admit Trump lies. The rest of your post is worthless without any facts or sources to back it up. As I said before, I am certain I could point out more false claims from the administration than there have been false stories from respected news sources.

Washington Post also ran a story about how Russians hacked the power grid, then had to do a retraction after every media outlet called them out on their lack of evidence and willingness to print fake news.

Washington Post was sold in 2013, and Jeff Bezos (CEO of Amazon) purchased it for 250 mil. A Seattle billionaire and a major Democratic party donor. It's just another pro-globalism, billionaire-funded propaganda machine.

At least you admit Trump lies. The rest of your post is worthless without any facts or sources to back it up. As I said before, I am certain I could point out more false claims from the administration than there have been false stories from respected news sources.
Indeed, I said all politicians lie and Trump is a politician therefore he lies. Good deduction, you get a golden star. I have to take it immediately back though, sorry, because previosly, you said you "guess" that Trump has lied more than the media, now you are "certain." I guess you are certainly confused about the English language. Now, show me a source(s) that prove Trump has lied more than the media or else all you have to give here is your non-congruent opinion.

I'd have no issue with calling the media out for misreporting if it wasn't coming from a guy who spends a significant amount of his time lying directly to the American people and refuses to retract his untrue statements. In that respect, he and the press are made for each other.

With the exception that the press retracts false stories when pointed out and Trump doesn't.

New York Times themselves apologized after the election for how they've been covering trump

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/11/...-from-the-publisher-and-executive-editor.html

Indeed, I said all politicians lie and Trump is a politician therefore he lies. Good deduction, you get a golden star. I have to take it immediately back though, sorry, because previosly, you said you "guess" that Trump has lied more than the media, now you are "certain." I guess you are certainly confused about the English language. Now, show me a source(s) that prove Trump has lied more than the media or else all you have to give here is your non-congruent opinion.

Here is a source, The Washington Post. It's from three days ago but I think they update it pretty regularly. So far in the first 36 days in office PapaHair has made 140 false or misleading statement. This only counts his time in office and certainly there are many, many more from before but I thought this was enough to get started.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/politics/trump-claims/

No one likes fake news better than Trump which is why he hired Steve Bannon. He is waging a misinformation campaign against the American people and folks like yourself eat up this malarky with a fork and spoon. It's very sad to me how easily many people are manipulated.

So here is 140 instances, can you provide 140 fake stories from respected news outlets in the last 36 days? BTW Breibart News Network is not a respected source.

Its not so much that media outlets print objectively false facts, its cherry picking things that promote their narratives. Its the use of certain adjectives. Its double standards.

Examples:

How many murders are there a day? A murder will only make Wapo's front page if it has implied elements of white people being racist in the act.

or

Donald Trump and Elizabeth Warren speak in exact same tone about some confrontational issue:

"Donald Trump lashes out" "Donald Trumps war on,..."
"Elizabeth Warren drops truth bombs" "Elizabeth Warren persists"

C5IObIXUcAAlnkV.jpg

Okay, lets assume these three instances are legit misreporting and are misleading and lets assume they are all from the last 36 days. Thats means you only need 137 more to prove me wrong.

Okay, lets assume these three instances are legit misreporting and are misleading and lets assume they are all from the last 36 days. Thats means you only need 137 more to prove me wrong.

Then you haven't been paying attention to the Washington Post for the last 8 years. You think WaPo is a legit source?, they are a source for left wing hit pieces and agenda pushing. You think this started with Trump? Here's another Fake News article from Washington Post which claims Romney was doing KKK salutes at his rallies.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...-his-speeches/2011/12/14/gIQAXD6OuO_blog.html

I'd have no issue with calling the media out for misreporting if it wasn't coming from a guy who spends a significant amount of his time lying directly to the American people and refuses to retract his untrue statements. In that respect, he and the press are made for each other.

With the exception that the press retracts false stories when pointed out and Trump doesn't.
Agreed. With one minor hiccup.

Of what good is a retraction if it's made after the story has died down, or is buried out of sight? One would think both the POTUS and the msm should aspire to higher standards.

Then you haven't been paying attention to the Washington Post for the last 8 years. You think WaPo is a legit source?, they are a source for left wing hit pieces and agenda pushing. You think this started with Trump? Here's another Fake News article from Washington Post which claims Romney was doing KKK salutes at his rallies.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...-his-speeches/2011/12/14/gIQAXD6OuO_blog.html

It's still a top ten paper in the US. My point is that Trump misleads more than the media and you have not come even close to disproving it. You linked a blog post from over five years ago as evidence. Trump has made 140 misleading statements in the last 36 days.

Back