Excellent fact based video on universal basic income

Der Eisbär

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Cliffs:
-the current welfare state promotes being passive.
-a pilot study of UBI in Canada showed that only 1% of UBI recipients left work, and it was mostly to take care of their children
-UBI of 1,000/month could raise GDP 12% over 8 years
-With a UBI program you could eliminate existing welfare programs

Definitely worth the watch.

Discuss

I think a good starting point would be to completely scrap welfare and immediately replace it with UBI. This removes the insane waste that goes between the process of turning tax dollars into welfare dollars. Doing any sort of half-in/half-out program likely doesn't give us enough info. I'm also skeptical about claims that UBI will help reduce income inequality, which I believe will only happen if workers start receiving significantly higher wages(or everyone is given much more than a poverty line stipend of $1k/month).

UBI could potentially make things much worse given we'd now be negotiating our wages through tax/public policy instead of negotiating directly with our employers. Matter of fact I'm certain this would make things worse if there isn't also a wage increase that at least meets yearly inflation.

In the meantime it'd be nice if we got back to taxing people 90% on earnings over $1M. Maybe then we could afford Bernie's/Trump's $1T infrastructure ideas.

Cliffs:
-the current welfare state promotes being passive.
-a pilot study of UBI in Canada showed that only 1% of UBI recipients left work, and it was mostly to take care of their children
-UBI of 1,000/month could raise GDP 12% over 8 years
-With a UBI program you could eliminate existing welfare programs

Definitely worth the watch.

Discuss

Then the real world came-----

Starting in January 2017, Finland experimented with giving a random sample of 2,000 unemployed people between the ages of 25 and 58 a monthly income of roughly $690; the recipients were not required to have a job; if they did take a job, they would receive the same amount.
The idea was to stimulate people to look for paid work by eradicating gaps in the welfare system; the Finnish government thought that with existing unemployment benefits so high, an unemployed person would eschew getting a job because they would risk losing money by doing so; the more money they made, the lower their social benefits would be. The basic income was meant as an incentive for people to start working.

But now Finland is canceling the program, though the government will not say why. Kela, the Finnish social security agency, asked the government to expand the two-year pilot to a group of employees this year, but the government nixed funding it, meaning the entire program will come to a crashing halt in January 2019.

it just failed miserably in Finland.

edit - judge beat me to it.

Then the real world came-----

Starting in January 2017, Finland experimented with giving a random sample of 2,000 unemployed people between the ages of 25 and 58 a monthly income of roughly $690; the recipients were not required to have a job; if they did take a job, they would receive the same amount.
The idea was to stimulate people to look for paid work by eradicating gaps in the welfare system; the Finnish government thought that with existing unemployment benefits so high, an unemployed person would eschew getting a job because they would risk losing money by doing so; the more money they made, the lower their social benefits would be. The basic income was meant as an incentive for people to start working.

But now Finland is canceling the program, though the government will not say why. Kela, the Finnish social security agency, asked the government to expand the two-year pilot to a group of employees this year, but the government nixed funding it, meaning the entire program will come to a crashing halt in January 2019.

it just failed miserably in Finland.

edit - judge beat me to it.

One pilot study. Neither of you watched this video, clearly.

a communist and a vegan? el oh el.

Get back to sucking down that cow estrogen boyo. Your t has been acting up and you're getting too aggressive, time to counteract it with all those bovine hormones.

I haven't had cow meat in months. Cucko.

I quote you saying "get back to sucking down that cow estrogen boyo" so now other animals have cow estrogen? boyo?
How would you be sucking down cow estrogen from eating steak? What kind of steak are you fuckin' eating?

It's not the time for universal basic income.

Where are you sucking off meat?
a6152ef825edb3629a02deabb8f52478.jpg

Back