Examples of worse fighter in a long run winning twice in a row vs the better fighter?

Melas Chasma

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
For example, lets say fighter A has 33,3% chance vs fighter B, which would make him a clear underdog. Yet he would still have almost 11% to beat fighter B twice in a row. It is almost impossible these type of scenarios have not ever played out in UFCs history. There has been more than enough rematches.

Any examples you think this was the case? There are probably at least some (delusional) Canderson fans who still believe Canderson was the favorite in reality (not in betting) both times against teh Chris.

Matt Hughes vs Dennis Hallman second fight was in the ufc, although the first has not.

Does that count?

Also, in before someone says chael vs silva.

Matt Hughes vs Dennis Hallman second fight was in the ufc, although the first has not.

That might be a great example. Though I personally dont know enough of that match up to say whether Hughes was the favorite both times in reality vs Hallman, maybe Hallman just had his number. But it is certainly highly possible.

That might be a great example. Though I personally dont know enough of that match up to say whether Hughes was the favorite both times in reality vs Hallman, maybe Hallman just had his number. But it is certainly highly possible.

Hughes said that he gave up looking for a third fight against Hallman, because he thought he had his number. He said he could beat any other fighter, and that Hallman wasn't as good as him, but he just had his number.

Also, in before someone says chael vs silva.

This is probably also more likely to be true at least than Anderson over Weidman. Chael definitely proved enough that you could at least make an argument he would have beaten Anderson more often than not if they could have fought 100 times. He won more rounds at least.

It wasn’t the same fighter, but Leben beat 2 guys in 2 weeks and I think was an underdog in both.

And I think prime shamrock wipes the floor with Royce, but Royce has Royced him 2x.

Robbie Lawler was the underdog in both of his victories against Rory MacDonald.

UFC 167: Lawler +280
UFC 189: Lawler +130

By the way, when you wrote Canderson in your post, I thought you were talking about Cael Sanderson, for some reason, at first.

Between the first and the second fight, Hughes won 18 fights in a row, and Hallman was 7-4. Hughes was the clear favourite, but Matt Hume, Hallman's coach, knew how to beat Hughes. When grappling is the subject, Hume is one of the best in the business.

Best example, most recently
Odds wise- Rory was a healthy favorite vs. Lawler both times and lost both.

I'm pretty sure Edgar was underdog going into both fights with BJ

Between the first and the second fight, Hughes won 18 fights in a row, and Hallman was 7-4. Hughes was the clear favourite, but Matt Hume, Hallman's coach, knew how to beat Hughes. When grappling is the subject, Hume is one of the best in the business.
in two years lol

I'm pretty sure Edgar was underdog going into both fights with BJ
I think this may be the closest to what TS is asking

Frankie closed at +500 and +200 respectively

Edit: Pettis was the dog in both Bendo fights..... Bendo was the dog in first two Cerrone fights

Back