Evolution will no longer be taught in Turkish schools

MicroBrew

Plutonium Belt
@plutonium
Reaction score
Erdogan gradually pushing the Islamist agenda.

Re. Evolution:
Islamists and the Christian right are on the same page.

-----

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ools-to-stop-teaching-evolution-official-says

"Turkish schools to stop teaching evolution, official says"

"Board of education chairman says subject is debatable, controversial and too complicated for students"

Re. "too complicated for students"
Well that is subjective. Some Mathematics and Physics can also seem "too complicated" . The truth is that those making this "too complicated" claim are ideologically opposed to teaching the theory of evolution, so they concoct excuses.

Evolution will no longer be taught in Turkish schools, a senior education official has said, in a move likely to raise the ire of the country’s secular opposition.

Alpaslan Durmuş, who chairs the board of education, said evolution was debatable, controversial and too complicated for students.

“We believe that these subjects are beyond their [students] comprehension,” said Durmuş in a video published on the education ministry’s website.

Durmuş said a chapter on evolution was being removed from ninth grade biology course books, and the subject postponed to the undergraduate period. Another change to the curriculum may reduce the amount of time that students spend studying the legacy of secularism.

That's a good thing.
You don't want a nation like today's Turkey under the reign of Erdogan (and his successors which will be in alignment with his ideas) to become too powerful.
Systematically making your own people less educated is one little aspect working in favor of that.

Those damned Gulenists teaching heresy to the population.

That's a good thing.
You don't want a nation like today's Turkey under the reign of Erdogan (and his successors which will be in alignment with his ideas) to become too powerful.
Systematically making your own people less educated is one little aspect working in favor of that.
Yeah increased religiosity and Islamism will lead to dumbing down of the population and a brain drain , which will hurt Turkey's technological ascent.

Yeah increased religiosity and Islamism will lead to dumbing down of the population and a brain drain , which will hurt Turkey's technological ascent.

Couldn't be more happy to see it. Better castrate themselves intellectually now, than when they've already developed into a threat.

The military kept the typical islamic stupidity at bay but you cant change muslims.
They want ignorance and fairy tales let them have it.

13-031PersianInnerFish.jpg

Even Iran teaches evolution.
Turkey going that Saudi rout.

That's a good thing.
Keeping the populace ignorant makes them vulnerable to propaganda and easier to radicalize for terrorism. This doesn't help anyone.
However, even in these theocratic shitholes, their scientists and academics do believe in evolution. It is the backbone of modern medicine.

Keeping the populace ignorant makes them vulnerable to propaganda and easier to radicalize for terrorism. This doesn't help anyone.
I'm aware of the fact that many people think like this, I simply disagree.
There's a point when you notice a certain nation simply won't be a modern Western society or an equivalent thereof with similar values but different culture.
It's just not going to happen in the near future. And a well-educated and capable society doesn't guarantee decency or rejection of radical ideas at all.
Germany was neither uneducated nor unfamiliar with the idea of a Democracy when Hitler took over.
So at this point, it's in your best interest that a nation like this simply doesn't become too powerful.

That's a good thing.
Weirdest optimism

Turkey went "fuck it" after they were staunchly denied membership to the EU

Weirdest optimism
I'd call it pessimism. I don't believe Turkey will be a decent, secular nation anytime soon, no matter what happens.
The situation will become worse and they'll drift away from Europe and possibly from NATO.
Therefore I rather have a radical, uneducated nation with a troubling economy in this position than a radical, powerful, prosperous nation which is home to the world's top performers in science, engineering etc
The liberal point of view that those two things are incompatible, that the right ideas, science and some sort of enlightenment will combat authoritarianism and radicalism is wishful thinking and disproven by history.

I'd call it pessimism. I don't believe Turkey will be a decent, secular nation anytime soon, no matter what happens.
The situation will become worse and they'll drift away from Europe and possibly from NATO.
Therefore I rather have a radical, uneducated nation with a troubling economy in this position than a radical, powerful, prosperous nation which is home to the world's top performers in science, engineering etc
The liberal point of view that those two things are incompatible, that the right ideas, science and some sort of enlightenment will combat authoritarianism and radicalism is wishful thinking and disproven by history.
They don't need to learn evolution in school to hold a significant power position, learn applied sciences and have a strong economy though.

Turkey was long the West's "pet project" to create a Westernized, secular, Muslim-majority nation. Tons of money and effort were poured into building up its infrastructure, and sometimes "undemocratic" measures were resorted to, in order to uphold secularism in the country.

It's becoming obvious that the project has failed. It's best to count our losses and move on.

The liberal mentality is to keep throwing money at the problem, hoping it eventually goes away, as living standards improve. But it's plain and obvious that a lack of funding here, isn't the problem. It's the lack of a will.

Not surprised. The entire region isn't even really a fan of genetics at all because of their open secret that huge portions of the Muslim population in the region are marrying their first cousins and shit. Consanguinity is insane in the ME. I know someone who developed a genetic test for diseases and tried to market it in Saudi Arabia and Oman. Ended up not selling it to them because they didn't want the genetic cross-over of relatives being exposed like that.

I'm not surprised by evolution in Turkey. Hell we have asshole Christians in America who think it shouldn't be taught in our schools.

They don't need to learn evolution in school to hold a significant power position, learn applied sciences and have a strong economy though.
Sure, which is why I initially called it one of many aspects, it's a step in the right/wrong direction.
They also banned access to wikipedia this year, not sure if it's available now. Or had hundreds and thousands of judges, professors, teachers, and policemen arrested or fired.
The government will be forced to strengthen the Islamic influence on society and hold down 'Western' ideas in order to hold on to power.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cartoonq123
Back