Evolution of man

shs101

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Topic I've been thinking about for a while on my own and wanted to see what other people thought about this.

In simplest terms, why "back in the day" did men seem so much "TOUGHER". Seriously.... and what this has to do with stand up forum because my first thought were boxing in the early 1900s. From real savage bare knuckle boxing to doing 15 rounds with horse hair gloves in the ring.

Look back at WWI and II. Kids drafted at 18 (or younger) and gone to fight WITH BARELY ANYTHING/NO TRAINING and made it work. Some were terrified, some wanted it.

Not to get too off topic of stand up, but you can clearly see the difference in man in the 2000s.

Do you think the boxers now could box 15 rounds with barely anything protecting their hands? Or bare knuckle boxing?

Another example, I was in the boxing gym a few months ago and see an old trainer I worked with when I was a kid. I asked him if he's still training anyone and how's that going... his response was how he's training a teen and the kid asked him "if he could take off on Friday's". Meanwhile the teen is or was competing in the golden gloves at the time. He response to me after was; "they don't make em like they use to." And went on to explain how it's hard to find people dedicated anymore. Now I don't care much about that example (so don't take the teens lack of dedication too literal) but more so with the entire topic. BTW real old school trainer, good guy.

Where was there a paradigm shift in man? Would love to see what people think.

Men weren't tougher back then, you are basing your opinion on the western millennial men. You go to any war torn or impoverish country in Eastern Europe, The Balkans, Middle East or South America and you will find men tough as hell.

Are you suggesting human beings have evolved in the last 100 years?

Nope, not at all. You'd need a tiny closed population that reproduces thousands of times quicker than we do for it to happen that quick. We're just a bunch of softened pussies now because that's how we were raised.

Topic I've been thinking about for a while on my own and wanted to see what other people thought about this.

In simplest terms, why "back in the day" did men seem so much "TOUGHER". Seriously.... and what this has to do with stand up forum because my first thought were boxing in the early 1900s. From real savage bare knuckle boxing to doing 15 rounds with horse hair gloves in the ring.
They "seem" tougher because you weren't alive back then and are romanticizing it.

Look back at WWI and II. Kids drafted at 18 (or younger) and gone to fight WITH BARELY ANYTHING/NO TRAINING and made it work. Some were terrified, some wanted it.
What is this supposed to show? That human beings will adapt when necessary? What makes you think modern men wouldn't be able to "make it work"? Plenty of 18 year olds fought in Iraq and Afghanistan and "made it work." Same in Vietnam.

Do you think the boxers now could box 15 rounds with barely anything protecting their hands? Or bare knuckle boxing?
Under the same circumstances, absolutely.

Another example, I was in the boxing gym a few months ago and see an old trainer I worked with when I was a kid. I asked him if he's still training anyone and how's that going... his response was how he's training a teen and the kid asked him "if he could take off on Friday's". Meanwhile the teen is or was competing in the golden gloves at the time. He response to me after was; "they don't make em like they use to." And went on to explain how it's hard to find people dedicated anymore. Now I don't care much about that example (so don't take the teens lack of dedication too literal) but more so with the entire topic. BTW real old school trainer, good guy.

Where was there a paradigm shift in man? Would love to see what people think.
There was no paradigm shift. Old men have been complaining about the youth for as long as there have been old men.

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for
authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place
of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their
households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They
contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties
at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."

ATTRIBUTION: Attributed to SOCRATES by Plato.

I also don't think it's a crime if a teen thinks there's more to life than hitting other teens in the head with hand pillows.

They "seem" tougher because you weren't alive back then and are romanticizing it.

What is this supposed to show? That human beings will adapt when necessary? What makes you think modern men wouldn't be able to "make it work"? Plenty of 18 year olds fought in Iraq and Afghanistan and "made it work." Same in Vietnam.

Under the same circumstances, absolutely.

There was no paradigm shift. Old men have been complaining about the youth for as long as there have been old men.

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for
authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place
of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their
households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They
contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties
at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."

ATTRIBUTION: Attributed to SOCRATES by Plato.

I also don't think it's a crime if a teen thinks there's more to life than hitting other teens in the head with hand pillows.

Lol looks like you took this personal? Relax, I didn't agree or disagree with everything in my post I was just referencing examples.
Just wanted to see what everyone else thinks on this. Not coming at anyone or this "day and age".

They had to or they'd probably die. War and life overall was simplier back then with fewer distractions (no youtube, sherdog, Fake'sbook, etc..) to waste their time from the meats and potatoes of living.

Most were just born into a life of hard work and perserverence so they are used to it.

Yeah, I think that cultural evolution has made more people in western society more "softer" in general.

When you get put in difficult situations, where you have to make horrible choices, you find you're stronger than you ever imagined.

At least, that's my experience.

people have more of a sedentary lifestyle now. we are constantly more comfortable than men in the past. simple really, haven't you heard the study that showed sleeping without a pillow can boost testosterone? the harder your life is, the higher your testosterone.

call it bioscience, but I call it go fuck your mother

Back