Evolucao Thai or Mecha MMA Toronto?

BabyJ187

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hey I'm looking for a new gym MMA gym in Toronto. Right now I'm considering Evolucao Thai or Mecha MMA (but I'm open to suggestions, needs to be downtown).

Does anyone have any experience with these places? I like that Evolucao is right on the subway line, but I like that Mecha has a wrestling program.

I've trained at both and was personally a bigger fan of Evolcao. I liked rolling with Fernando and the timed rounds.

Mecca (mecha?) was great aswel but it just wan't for me.

My advice would be to do a few sessions at each and see which you like more, both gyms are fantastic and have a good reputation.

If you're downtown you can also consider openmat, younge and bloor.

Im probably biased cuz I train w Veio and Fernando on a regular basis when Im in Toronto as they are both good friends of mine.

I've trained at both and was personally a bigger fan of Evolcao. I liked rolling with Fernando and the timed rounds.

Mecca (mecha?) was great aswel but it just wan't for me.

My advice would be to do a few sessions at each and see which you like more, both gyms are fantastic and have a good reputation.

If you're downtown you can also consider openmat, younge and bloor.

Hey thanks for the response. Yep I work downtown at Bay and Front and I live in Bloor West (for now).

Yeah it's Mecha now, why wasn't it for you?

Evolucao Thai would actually be better, as it's right off of Lansdowne at Bloor.

I was planning on checking out openmat, however the reviews I read online made it sound VERY expensive and restrictive.

Do Veio and Fernando teach there regularly? I've seen some gyms list bigger name guys as instructors, but they rarely (if ever) teach.

Hey thanks for the response. Yep I work downtown at Bay and Front and I live in Bloor West (for now).

Evolucao Thai would actually be better, as it's right off of Lansdowne at Bloor.

I was planning on checking out openmat, however the reviews I read online made it sound VERY expensive and restrictive.

Do Veio and Fernando teach there regularly? I've seen some gyms list bigger name guys as instructors, but they rarely (if ever) teach.

There are not too many bigger names than Fernando in the Toronto area for bjj.

Open Mat has some absolute monsters, Ostap just won the NY Trials at purple -143 and there some other really good guys and girls there. If I lived in Toronto that is the place I would choose to train. Well, that or Gringo's

Fernando is there all the time, for the most part anyways.

Veio teaches all the MMA/Muay Thai classes, unless hes traveling. If you combine all the days that he is gone for a year, I would say maybe 2-2.5 months of the year, at most. Also, when Dida visits, he will also teach the classes.

Veio is currently in Brazil helping Shogun at his camp and will be back in December. However, Fernando is there teaching BJJ and MMA I believe.

If you have any questions about Evolucao Thai, please dont hesitate to ask.

Hey thanks for the responses everyone.

@ffejk: On my way home from work yesterday Fernando was on my subway! (a sign?) When Mauricio isn't there, who teaches thai boxing? Are the BJJ classes strictly gi? (I've only done no-gi) Do you have any idea what it costs?

@climax: I think Mecha is combining with Bang Fitness, which makes sense. I've heard that Toronto BJJ is great for BJJ, but I want legit boxing or thai boxing instruction as well.

I had no real reason regarding their training why it wasn't for me, it pretty much came down to proximity to the subway station.

Regarding openmat, it is fairly expensive and a bit restrictive on new whitebelts (I think they might only be able to do beginner classes?) but once you know the basics you can do all the classes. I also really like Elliot's and Ostap's techniques, those two are really the reason I signed up, they are very specific on the details of where to put your weight down. Wow, sounds like I drank a bit too much kool-aid.

I would honestly try all of them for a few classes and see what is the better fit for you, but really you can't go wrong with any of them.

Wow, sounds like I drank a bit too much kool-aid.

I would honestly try all of them for a few classes and see what is the better fit for you, but really you can't go wrong with any of them.
This.

and

koolaid.jpg

Hey thanks for the responses everyone.

@ffejk: On my way home from work yesterday Fernando was on my subway! (a sign?) When Mauricio isn't there, who teaches thai boxing? Are the BJJ classes strictly gi? (I've only done no-gi) Do you have any idea what it costs?

@climax: I think Mecha is combining with Bang Fitness, which makes sense. I've heard that Toronto BJJ is great for BJJ, but I want legit boxing or thai boxing instruction as well.

Haha Must be a sign. I always believe, everything in life happens for a reason. It changes when Mauricio aint there. I believe this time its Sergio (he fights in Score) and/or Ainsley (fights in Bellator) helping out.

Fernando teaches both Gi and No-gi and his credentials speak for themselves.

Unfortunately, I dont know exactly how much it costs cuz I live in Cali. Mauricio and Fernando are good friends of mine, so when I come back to Toronto I come train and hang out with them. I have an idea and its a VERY GOOD price compared to others. Drop by for a free class, you wont be disappointed. Talk to Kara while Mauricio is gone.

Anything else, feel free to ask.

Go to both, take at least two classes (so you know when you're willing to return, if at all, after the first class), and see which one you like best.

Sometimes, the better school isn't the one that suits you. I live near CSW, Checkmat, Gracie Barra, and more schools. For jiu-jitsu, I would have automatically went to Checkmat, but I didn't like it there, so I landed at CSW (not QUITE known for their amazing Mundial performances, know what I mean?)

Yeah, I agree with this. It is worth checking out your options first. That being said, the only negative thing I could say about Evolucao is that their trial is only one class (I think you can get a private or something if you are new which is cool) which means you only get one class to try it out. Most gyms range anywhere from 1 week to 30 days.

Yeah, I never quite understood the one free class only deal. Well, I do, it sucks more customers in, but it doesn't seem too honest to me when the only deal is a 1 year contract (like GB).

Sergio is a beast on the mat as well! I assume his striking is great but on the mat, those leg locks are lethal :cool:

The pricing was great compared to the other gyms in the area. It is about the same as you would pay at Mecha, depending on how long you sign up for.

I really enjoyed training there!

Yeah, I agree with this. It is worth checking out your options first. That being said, the only negative thing I could say about Evolucao is that their trial is only one class (I think you can get a private or something if you are new which is cool) which means you only get one class to try it out. Most gyms range anywhere from 1 week to 30 days.

That being said, I think that if you have pricing and liked the gym and know you enjoy training already then the 1 class is fine.

What I liked about Evolucao is that you go in do the trial, they give you pricing and there is no pressure to sign up on the spot. There is no tactics to get you to sign up on the spot like some other gyms. IE - you sign up today there is no activation fee, the price I gave you only works for today, etc..

Haha yes Serginho (Im assuming you're referring to Sergio Moraes) is a beast on the mat. He is of course a part of the Evolucao Team as well, but hes the BJJ coach at the Evolucao Thai Brasil location.

Again, if you are serious about training and what not and just really wanna get a feel of whats going on at Evolucao, talk to Kara. Let her know whats going on, how you feel, what you want to do, etc. Im sure they can work out something with you.

Oops! I was actually thinking of Sergej! He fights for the score (was on the last card and won) and does train there now and I assumed you were talking about him teaching some classes when the regular instructor was away!

Yeah, I'd recommend the place to anyone! I only train jits so I can't speak to striking but it had a good vibe, price, and everyone I've talked to that is a member is really happy!

Oh yes. Sergei (the one who you are referring to) is helping out in the interim, while Veio is gone. Haha. Sorry for the confusion.

Regarding openmat, it is fairly expensive and a bit restrictive on new whitebelts (I think they might only be able to do beginner classes?) but once you know the basics you can do all the classes. I also really like Elliot's and Ostap's techniques, those two are really the reason I signed up, they are very specific on the details of where to put your weight down. Wow, sounds like I drank a bit too much kool-aid.

We have a 12 month beginner curriculum for brand new students that they are encouraged to follow in order to learn the fundamentals in a safe and controlled environment. Once completed, they can progress to intermediate classes where they are taught more advanced techniques. As for concerns regarding pricing, we feel that we have competitive rates in place. We also have a 30 day free trial which you can take advantage of to make an informed decision.

Last edited:
hands down Evolucao. some of the coolest instructors you could ever ask for.

hands down Evolucao. some of the coolest instructors you could ever ask for.

So you're a Purple belt AND an instructor under Rafael Lovato (Ribeiro affiliate) and you're saying that the hands down best BJJ in Toronto is at Evolucao and not at Toronto BJJ (also a Ribeiro affiliate)? Now I'm not saying you aren't entitled to your own opinion, nor am I suggesting that you have to drink the affiliation kool aid... but wow. This is crazy to me.

So you're a Purple belt AND an instructor under Rafael Lovato (Ribeiro affiliate) and you're saying that the hands down best BJJ in Toronto is at Evolucao and not at Toronto BJJ (also a Ribeiro affiliate)? Now I'm not saying you aren't entitled to your own opinion, nor am I suggesting that you have to drink the affiliation kool aid... but wow. This is crazy to me.

To be fair to the poster, did say coolest instructors and not best.

But, things have changed a lot since this was posted. I think when this thread was posted at the current time of the post I believe Evolucao had Fernando (no affiliation to Lovato) teaching BJJ who was quite possibly the best competitor in Canada.

Evolucao has now moved locations and has a brown belt instructor under Lovato (who is also the striking instructor). I don't think they have an "affiliation" with Lavato/Ribiero. I am not sure of the arrangement but he goes down to Lovato's and does striking seminars and gives Lovato striking instruction and Lovato gives him BJJ instruction and grading.

Toronto BJJ is a Ribeiro affliate and the owner of Evolucao used to be a striking instructor at TBJJ before there was a falling out.

Hey I'm looking for a new gym MMA gym in Toronto. Right now I'm considering Evolucao Thai or Mecha MMA (but I'm open to suggestions, needs to be downtown).

Does anyone have any experience with these places? I like that Evolucao is right on the subway line, but I like that Mecha has a wrestling program.

This is obviously a few years removed but for others looking for a new academy in Toronto to train at I'd probably give Evolução Thai a pass if you're serious about learning and getting into competition. There's no question that Mauricio has some of the best credentials of any MMA coach in Canada having come from Chute Boxe and as a fan it's definitely pretty cool to get to hang out with the UFC fighters that come up from Brazil from time to time but the fact is Mauricio is a poor coach and it's an unsafe training environment with shitty facilities. Mauricio doesn't have the business sense to upgrade the facilities and he more or less ignores any students that aren't competing. I trained there for 2 years and not once did I even have my form corrected, nor are there mirrors with which to view and correct your own form. I was injured repeatedly and for that reason I haven't been able to compete. I'm now at another academy in Toronto and I can see how a proper academy is run and my coaches tell me I'll be ready to compete in 5 months. Evolução Thai had the potential to be a great academy in Toronto but that will unfortunately never be the case.

Seems like as good a place as any to ask; I'm likely moving to Toronto next month and looking for somewhere to do no gi/sub wrestling. I'm a purple belt in the gi but far prefer without it. I see mixed reviews of Toronto No Gi (regarding teaching style and prices) and OpenMat (pushy sales & rough pricing), but those seem like the two places that have a real commitment to having no gi regularly on their schedules.

Any input ? For the record, I'm not making those criticisms of Toronto No Gi and OpenMat, just that they were things I read a couple places online that raised concern.

Back