Evidence Based Jiujitsu?

King Creatine

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Research Nerd/Jiujitsu Players... I need some help. Anybody know of any research (preferably evidence based) on the efficacy of jiujitsu?

Not sure what you are looking for. Effectiveness is subjective. People defending themselves against people in a one on one unarmed situation? How breaking arms, dislocateing shoulders, elbows ect.. effects a fight. 1 vs multiple attackers. Man vs weapon? Ground fighting only?

There is a lot to effectiveness.

I don't know or think there would be any research on the topic. I'd be astonished if there were any papers or studies done on self defense statistics based by martial art.

Good luck getting an IRB approval for that study and getting statistical significance at the same time

What would evidence for efficacy look like? Seems a stupid question without detauls

There are a lot more armed assaults with blunt objects, and it is a lot easier to wrestler over a bat than wrestle over a blade. 99.9% of the time, when wrestling over a knife, the guy with the handle wins.

So I guess you have to pick the right tactics for the right weapon.

In before someone posts some dumb ass teaching a wrestling two on one against a knifer.

Research Nerd/Jiujitsu Players... I need some help. Anybody know of any research (preferably evidence based) on the efficacy of jiujitsu?

Written based evidence? That's too specific. BJJ evidence is shown by winning or overcoming your opponent. It's that clear cut-- not sure exactly what else you would want. "Study has shown that BJJ fighters in MMA do this and that.."? Efficacy can be shown in many videos, however correlation doesnt mean causation. The best you can do is just look at evidence thats all over youtube. Sorry if this doesn't get you to your answer.

You're a purple belt and asking this question? As for evidence, the entire existence of the UFC is all the evidence you need.

Vincent and Kframe: This is a tough endeavor for me, as I'm developing a behavior management system to market to group homes for out of control kids. Safely being able to restrain a kid that is throwing punches so you and the kid are both safe is tailor-made for jiujitsu, right? Not the joint locks and chokes, mind you, but the takedowns and positioning. The reason for my post is I'd like to be able to source a study from some type of peer-reviewed journal that examines the safety and effectiveness. Unfortunately, I'm thinking youtube is the best I can do.

MANDT should work but it's so fuckin' watered down is ineffective. I think there's a fine line between actual competence and potential for injury, especially with an agitated child, not to mention the legalese around liability.

Meanwhile, if you're a cop you can fuckin' body slam brown kids with impunity. At least in North Carolina.

#murica

saku-roycegif.gif

Back