"Everything happens for a reason."

• Thread starter Significance Deficit
  • Start date
S

Significance Deficit

Is this the dumbest phrase that gets repeated on a regular basis? What is going on in a person's brain when saying it? Is it solely due to religious ideology, or just something that people have to tell themselves to deal with all the injustice in the world? I don't get it.

I mean, you can make the argument that there's some sort of takeaway from every situation. There's always knowledge or insight to be gained, but I don't understand people pretending that there's some deeper purpose to it in the first place. Like some tragedy or unfortunate event only happened to teach you a lesson. It seems like the most self-absorbed shit in the world to me.

A lot of times that reason is I'm drunk and make poor choices.

Yeah I call bullshit on that saying...I prefer the term "Learn from your mistakes" rather than "Everything happens for a reason."

well, there is a reason why everything happens, sans the value judgement put on said reason.

its stupid because of course it happens for a reason, its cause and effect not some mystic bullshit

Shit happens when you party naked, too

AsRCteb.jpg

It seems like the most self-absorbed shit in the world to me.
It's the other way around.

People say this in response to whatever we're bitching about -- because we think our problems are huge and insurmountable and WHY DOES THIS HAPPEN TO ME.

Yeah. It's okay.

technically its true. since time isn't linear and everything is essentially predetermined

“When you pass through, no one can pin you down, no one can call you back.”

-Kenny Florian

Last edited:
It's sorta true, on a literal level. The door closed - because I shut it. There is no water in the cup - because I poured it out.

Not a believer in fate, however. There is no plan, there is no higher purpose. Things happen because we decided to make them happen.

I like to think everythread happens for a reason.

I think the point is that people who aren't negative Nancies try to find a positive in every life circumstance.

For example - I'm in this thread to educate you.

I dont mind the saying, its a good saying actually, for every action their is a reaction its how you interpret the saying, what bothers me is who delivers the saying, and when a shallow lying cheating slut uses it, you know its so they dont feel guilty for their horrible actions. These Kardashian and Amber Rose style hoes use that saying and even support anti slut shaming.

Whenever i read a girls instagram or facebook and she posts inspirational quotes while showing off her body, I already know she is not a good person and a narcissistic person. pretending to be deep but is really shallow.

There are two lines I dont like coming from most hot females, everything happens for a reason and I have no regrets, whenever a hot chick uses these two lines do not fall in love or show any emotion avoid her at all costs, chances are she has no guilt emotion which is the most human emotion we can have its what makes us compassionate and not repeat bad mistakes.

The reason women get away with devious things is because there will always be a man who will tell them its not your fault and everything happens for a reason, these desperate cuck style men ruin it many of them are feminist and want the admiration of women not realizing they are in the friends zone or they are with a woman will leave them for a man who is the opposite of a feminist.

I mean it is true.

Everything does happen for a reason. People associate this saying with destiny; fate, the universe.

If you want to believe it's one or all of those resulting in what happens then fine but it's your or whoever else was involved reason for whatever happened.

TS yes it is tied to the same underlying aspects that make people cling to religion.

The idea that there is a plan beyond our knowing and control.

For many it is a way to either absolve themselves of responsibility or to find comfort in a situation they cannot understand.

It is generally the unintelligent view some accept to avoid dealing with reality.

The way I see it - if it helps them make sense of what's going on in their life, if it brings them some sort of peace, then they shold use it. I don't judge them for it. Not my cup of tea though personally.

Back