Everyone needs to chill on the GOAT talk!

OrigFan255

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
GOAT = Greatest Of ALL Time!

I will 100% Guarantee anyone that the Greatest MMA fighter of ALL time will never have a definitive answer. They are in the future. All Time = The future also.

Athletes always have and always will get better. I seriously believe that the greats of the early 90's would not even win a TUF show.

MMA is and will always be a non-stop chess match. That is why I love it.

If anyone wants to discuss the Greatest Up Until Now, be my guest.

Fedor = GUUN Ran through the best of his time for a LONG time AND he did it in the heavyweight division, where fighters are fighting with nukes, not .22 calibur like in the lighter weight divisions.
AND, I absolutely believe that Fedor did not do steroids.

My 2 cents for the weekly GOAT talk.

If GSP keeps winning titles... he will be the clear GOAT

The 6 GOATs all have a similar amount of title wins....

I broke the 6 GOAT's wins down in a unique way. I added up the number of title fight people that did well after they lost to the GOAT. I did it this way so as not to give unfair advantage to a GOAT beating someone who was at the end of their significant career or just simply a can. The list came up like this...

Spider = 9 - Franklin (twice), Marquardt, Cote, Leites, Maia, Belfort, Chael & Hendo
Fedor = 8 - Arona, Sobrol, Big Nog (Twice) , Cro Cop, Hunt, Arlovski, & Monson
GSP = 8 – Bisping, Jon Fitch, Jake Shieds, Condit, Penn (twice) Hendricks, Hughes (but the 2nd win not counted due to Hughes losing a lot & fighting people about to retire.) (Bisping had the belt at the time so that’s a GOAT point for sure)
Mouse = 7 - Benevidez (twice), Dodson (twice), Moraga, Kyoji, Cejudo (keep an eye on Borg)
Aldo = 7 - Uriah, Lamas, Jung, Edgar (twice) Mendez (twice)
Jones = 6 – Shogun, Machida, Vitor, Gus, Teix & DC (Once… 2nd due to no contest & doesn’t count)

Shout out to Couture with 9 title winz spanning 2 weight divisionz. - (I didn't do a breakdown of how his opponents did after fighting him though since 9 titles is much less than the others.)

I never understood this GOAT talk. Everybody has their own premis and rank their premisses in different orders, so this discussion is just stupid IMO.

It is an extremely stupid point of contention.

There will never be a definitive answer so everyone needs shut up about it.

If GSP keeps winning titles... he will be the clear GOAT

GSP is awesome and everything but I hate these stupid free title shots people have been getting lately. Winning one fight against a shit champion like Bisping in a division that he never fought in is not as crazy as everyone is making it out to be. I will be far more impressed if GSP can beat Whitaker.

I broke the 6 GOAT's wins down in a unique way. I added up the number of title fight people that did well after they lost to the GOAT. I did it this way so as not to give unfair advantage to a GOAT beating someone who was at the end of their significant career or just simply a can. The list came up like this...

Spider = 9 - Franklin (twice), Marquardt, Cote, Leites, Maia, Belfort, Chael & Hendo
GSP = 8 – Bisping, Jon Fitch, Jake Shieds, Condit, Penn (twice) Hendricks, Hughes (but the 2nd win not counted due to Hughes losing a lot & fighting people about to retire.) (Bisping had the belt at the time so that’s a GOAT point for sure)
Mouse = 7 - Benevidez (twice), Dodson (twice), Moraga, Kyoji, Cejudo (keep an eye on Borg)
Jones = 6 – Shogun, Machida, Vitor, Gus, Teix & DC (Once… 2nd due to no contest & doesn’t count)

Shout out to Couture with 9 title winz spanning 2 weight divisionz. - (I didn't do a breakdown of how his opponents did after fighting him though since 9 titles is much less than the others.)

I'm not sure what all that means but GSP has won 13 title fights, including his last 11 consecutively.

I'm not sure what all that means but GSP has won 13 title fights, including his last 11 consecutively.
I actally underlined the key component of why I chose the people I listed.

"people who did well AFTER fighting the GOAT"

Last edited:

"I added up the number of title fight people that did well after they lost to the GOAT."

English is not my first language, but what does that mean?

{<huh}

GSP is awesome and everything but I hate these stupid free title shots people have been getting lately. Winning one fight against a shit champion like Bisping in a division that he never fought in is not as crazy as everyone is making it out to be. I will be far more impressed if GSP can beat Whitaker.
Obviously Whitaker is a key win... but Bisping has been in the top 10 for over a decade for a reason. Call it luck, or whatever you want, but no scrub is going to knock out Rockhold. That took skill. Bisping has been one fight away from the title almost his whole career... so to say he wasn't valid as a champ is something I don't get.

As for GSP... nobody had a problem with him moving up for a super fight with Spider back when he was active. The one & only reason this now seems like a problem is because of the time off. & wtf... he won... so apparently time off wasn't an issue.

per my original statement... I said "If GSP keeps collecting titles" he will start walking away as the true goat. I said it that way because i believe he is still submerged in the big 5 or 6 atm.

It is very easy to acknowledge that Jon Jones is the GOAT, unless you are biased

"I added up the number of title fight people that did well after they lost to the GOAT."

English is not my first language, but what does that mean?

{<huh}
Perhaps I could re-word that to be more clear.

It means that I made a list of all the people the GOAT won a title fight against

& then I checked to see how well each person did after that fight.

Fedor would be an excellent example of why I did it this way. Obviously he had more wins as he held the top spot in Pride... but many of them were not legit contenders. Also consider Mark Coleman... who was a UFC champ & a major force for a very long time... but by the time he fought Fedor, he was at the end of his career & got no significant wins "AFTER" fighting Fedor. (He doesn't get credit for a significant win off of the weird arm sprain that happened during the Shogun fight) So I did not give Fedor a GOAT point for fighting a Mark Coleman at the end of his career.

I will 100% Guarantee anyone that the Greatest MMA fighter of ALL time will never have a definitive answer. They are in the future. All Time = The future also.

Athletes always have and always will get better. I seriously believe that the greats of the early 90's would not even win a TUF show.

MMA is and will always be a non-stop chess match. That is why I love it.

If anyone wants to discuss the Greatest Up Until Now, be my guest.

Fedor = GUUN Ran through the best of his time for a LONG time AND he did it in the heavyweight division, where fighters are fighting with nukes, not .22 calibur like in the lighter weight divisions.
AND, I absolutely believe that Fedor did not do steroids.

My 2 cents for the weekly GOAT talk.

Uhhhhh...NO.

GOAT discussion obviously refers to the past, and present. Give your head a shake.

It’s GSP, btw.

Perhaps I could re-word that to be more clear.

It means that I made a list of all the people they won a title fight against

& then I checked to see how well each person did after that fight.

Fedor would be an excellent example of why I did it this way. Obviously he had more wins as he held the top spot in Pride... but many of them were not legit contenders. Also consider Mark Coleman... who was a UFC champ & a major force for a very long time... but by the time he fought Fedor, he was at the end of his career & got no significant wins "AFTER" fighting Fedor. (He doesn't get credit for a significant win off of the weird arm sprain that happened during the Shogun fight) So I did not give Fedor a GOAT point for fighting a Mark Coleman at the end of his career.

Ah ok i get it now... fair enough. It doesn't take in account that some fights can almost literaly break a fighter (and thus they underperform in the fights after, which doesn't mean the goat fought a "weak" version imo), but it is better than just counting all wins, agreed.

Ah ok i get it now... fair enough. It doesn't take in account that some fights can almost literaly break a fighter (and thus they underperform in the fights after, which doesn't mean the goat fought a "weak" version imo), but it is better than just counting all wins, agreed.
Thanx bro. It's just something I thought about one day & spent a crazy amount of time researching. lol... If nothing else it is food for thought... & another way to look at this discussion that really has no definite answer.

I really don't agree with this argument. When we say greatest of all time it is implied we mean "until now". No one can look into the future, and never will. So by that logic we would never be call someone the greatest, in any sport. Even a michael jordan, gretzky, sugar ray robinson etc.

So to me it is always implied GOAT means greatest of all time until now.

It is an extremely stupid point of contention.

There will never be a definitive answer so everyone needs shut up about it.
Let me guess you seen that episode of DBZ Super yesterday ? Was a pretty good episode btw.

dan henderson
gsp
mcgreg
cormier
fedor
couture
vitor
liddell
tito

proven roided excluded ( legal T at the time included)

Not only is he not in the discussion, those last 3 wins are nowhere near relevant. Dodson is a good fighter but never really accomplished greatness himself so that's sketchy. Benevidez is pretty much the only competition that can even begin to be mentioned with the names you've been listing and that's a stretch and a half.

Back