Everyone is copying Jones' set up technique these days...

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Unheralded Truth, Jul 17, 2017 at 3:34 AM.

1. Unheralded Truth White Belt

Unheralded Truth
    ...Since they, of course, have seen in every one of Jones' fights how these MMA refs are real cowards, who won't do shit about it. It makes sense if you ask me.

I mean, can anyone remember this was the strategy to set up your strikes on a very vulnerable opponent, before Jones started to get away with it around 2011? It feels like him and the refs started this epidemic, and no, I don't "hate the player". If the refs won't do anything about it I understand why it keeps happening. Still, the fighters all know what's up though.

[​IMG]

Yesterday was no exception as the pic above proves.

It's no coincidence them eyes has taken more damage after Jones was able to get away with it every time. Say what you want, it's all about winning and getting advantages during the fight, so the only ones who can stop this from getting way out of hands are the refs. Do you guys think a change will come soon?

2. RTL Inflatable Balloon Belt

RTL
    There's definitely a correlation between Jones and Herb Dean, and Cormier knows it: https://www.mmamania.com/2016/3/23/...laint-herb-dean-referee-jon-jones-rematch-mma

Jones declined to go into too much detail about why he didn’t want McCarthy to referee his fight with Cormier other than saying it wasn’t a good "energy" to share in the Octagon.
    SOURCE: http://www.foxsports.com/ufc/story/...ones-issues-with-referee-john-mccarthy-062916

Also, just want to confirm that John McCarthy is the GOAT referee.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017 at 3:42 AM
  3. Swarthy Winds of War come.

Swarthy
  4. Fight Professor Silver Belt

Fight Professor
    It reminds me of low blows in Combat Sambo that are sort of discouraged but not penalized. Fighters just have to expect the pokes until/if the rules are changed.

Kim Jong Un likes this.
  5. Silverstar17 Black Belt

Silverstar17
    Well, that's what makes it worse. The rules have been changed already. Reaching out with open fingers like that is illegal by now.

The problem is this new rule does not apply everywhere right now. No clue if it does in the UK. I guess not.

It's a problem and the ACs sort of tried to do something already. Now I agree that it takes refs to show the balls to apply it.

Swarthy likes this.
  6. Kumason MMA freak!

Kumason
    Chuck Liddell had a very strong poke game

7. MaveDeltzer Brown Belt

MaveDeltzer
    Same with Koscheck and him doing it to Rumble gave him that power.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Swarthy likes this.
  8. Kim Jong Un Absolute Boss

Kim Jong Un
    You get 1 warning, and thus one poke.

9. Swarthy Winds of War come.

Swarthy
    BJM is onto Jones Him and His camp always whine when they get him as ref.

Herb is blind to pokes.

10. Mikey Palangio Purple Belt

Mikey Palangio
    Only warning if the referee didn't see the poke.

But if the referee sees the poke, that is automatic deduction. Especially if the fighter had his fingers extended the through out the fight.

There shouldn't be any warnings. Fighters should step inside the cage with the added pressure of knowing, an eye poke is an automatic point deduction. Especially, if the referee sees it.

In many occasions, the referee doesn't even see the poke, and the fighter has to stop the fight himself.

Why didn't Gunnar stop the fight when he was poked, like so many fighters do?

I made a thread with the title "Gunnar is not a fighter" which was removed by the moderators. In that thread, I noticed that when Gunnar and Ponzi touched gloves to start the fight, Gunnar's guard was really down and trusting, and I thought to myself, "if Ponzi was an asshole, Gunnar could have gotten KO in that situation" and just as I was about to finish the thread, Gunnar got KO'd.

There is something about him that makes him less successful. He has too much sports mindedness and instead being more fight minded.

More evidence is when he stated "there was no need" to smash Jouban after he had him on queer street. Come on, son. A fighter SMASHES, a martial artist gives passes. This is fighting not sport martial arts.

Be an asshole in the cage, and you could win more fights.

11. christer Purple Belt

christer
    Before Jones there was the Eyesman, and before him other great masters, like for instance the great Gerard Gordeu who permanently blinded Yuki Nakai.
    Jones may be the best at it right now, but I feel it's disrespectful to not honor the old ones who paved the way.
    Gustafsson seem to be learning and be doing it at a pretty high level now too.

Such a shame that Travis Browne seem to have taken in some of the honorable spirit of Edmond so he can't poke and win anymore :(

josh345 likes this.
  12. Unheralded Truth White Belt

Unheralded Truth
    I'm not sure if Chuck ever did it on purpose though, to get an advantage because he knew the refs wouldn't care anyway.

To me he was just a bit careless sometimes and therefore didn't close his hand. But maybe I'm wrong here lol.

christer likes this.
  13. McDego Blue Belt

McDego
    Chuck "The Eyesman" Liddell

OG of eye pokes.

The rest are just copying him.

14. Fight Professor Silver Belt

Fight Professor
    It is definitely up to the refs to take off points for those violations. The rules are definitely a step in the right direction but refs can still screw this up.

15. wonderbread STIFF MEMBER

wonderbread
  16. Silverstar17 Black Belt

Silverstar17
    Definitely. But we have to respect that they have a tough job. It's impossible to see it all. And we had fighters faking fouls before. They have pressure and it happens very fast. No easy task.