Everyday I'm Rustlin'

Have you changed your belt recently Jim? Gone from a lever to a prong? Or do you use both? I seem to remember you having an Inzer (Forever was it?).

I'm considering getting a second belt to keep at work for when I move onto permanent days as I don't want to be lugging my other one back and forth between my home gym and work gym. Will likely get an Inzer prong.

The first belt I bought was an Inzer 10mm lever belt. Sometime before my meet last June, I decided to get a 13mm single prong. I didn't use the new belt for the meet, as it wasn't what I was used to or had been training with. I didn't want to change any equipment right before the meet. It was kind of a bitch to break in when I started using it, but I really like it now. Much prefer it to the lever, but that's just me. I haven't used the 10mm lever since.

10mm vs 13mm is your preference, but the good ol' single prong isn't a bad choice. Some people like 13mm for squatting, but then prefer the flexibility of a 10mm for deadlifting.

W10D1:

Squat:
625x2x2 (15lb PR x 2)

Hammer Curls:
30x12x2
35x10x2
30x10x2

Notes: Wow...Squats get a lot easier when I don't scrape my sack off the floor. It felt like I was half-squatting these. Had a rep left in the tank on each set. Really great last squat session before the meet.

W10D3:

Bench Press:
405x2x2 (5lb PR x 2)
355x7 (rep PR)

CGBP:
315x8

Face Pulls:
lots

Notes: Feeling pretty beat up, but these moved okay.

W10D5:

Deadlift:
475x1
545x1
615x1
665x2 (10lb PR)

SLDL:
315x5x2

Notes:
I'm feeling pretty beat up from the squatting and benching, but these were pretty easy. 675x2 would have been pretty cool, but I'll save the grinding for the platform.

Hey Jim good lifts man. I was wondering what kind of program you follow. Is what you post here the extent of ur training or are you just posting your working sets?

Hey Jim good lifts man. I was wondering what kind of program you follow. Is what you post here the extent of ur training or are you just posting your working sets?
Thanks, bro!

I've been following the same 10 week peaking cycle that I used for my meet last June.

When I'm not getting ready for a meet, I do a lot more volume and assistance. Right now, though, what you see is what you get. Especially towards the end, when things got really heavy. Mentally and physically, I'm pretty drained after my top sets.

Even now, I do a lot of stuff I don't log. Mostly prehab/rehab stuff.
Neck, shoulders and arms are bloody massive.

Thanks, brah. No brag, but I definitely am pretty fucking swole right now lol.

How's the meet prep coming along Jim? Still aiming for 1800+ next month?

How's the meet prep coming along Jim? Still aiming for 1800+ next month?
All finished up, brah.

I did some light squats today and will do some light benching on Wednesday. I compete on Sunday.

That's still the goal. Based on my training, I feel like 305/192.5/320 is very, very realistic.

Updates Jim?
HI BRO...

I ended up going 7/9, totaling [email protected]. It was my first time trying to cut weight and, honestly, I did an absolutely terrible job at it. I really underestimated what it would take to drop the weight and didn't make the necessary dietary adjustments to do so. If I'm going to attempt to cut in the future, I need to not be a fucking idiot about it. Anyway, onto the meet...

Squat:
280kg - Good lift
295kg - Good lift
305kg - Good lift, 22lb PR (Heaviest squat of the meet, wrapped or unwrapped). Hard, but never thought "I might not get this."

Bench Press:
167.5kg - Good lift
182.5kg - Good lift
192.5kg - Good lift, 2.5kg PR. Super easy.

Deadlift:
292.5kg - Honestly, my knees look a little soft, but good lift.
312.5kg - No lift
Pass

My goal going into the meet was to go 305/192.5/320 for a total of 817.5kg/1802lbs. So, 2/3 of the meet went exactly according to plan. The last third, deadlifts, I was crippled by cramps. Everywhere. Pecs, lats, hamstrings, quads, triceps, etc, etc. I just couldn't stop them, regardless of what I tried. If you want to know how they felt, just watch what happens after I drop my second deadlift attempt...

All in all, not really the day I wanted. That being said, the incredibly shitty total doesn't really tell the whole story.

I think you did great Jim. The beauty of the meet is that it tests everything. People think they have a 1500 gym total because they fucking lift a PR squat one day, a bench some other day and a DL another. Fuck that noise. Things happen in a meet and I would never take a total's word for it. There is always a story and you should be proud that you scored some sweet PRs. Great showing Rumplebroskin! I know I sound like a gehy fucking dad but I get so inspired when I see people put it on the line at meets. I want to punch the fucking gym douches at my gym who brag constantly about their lifts but have never put themselves out there!

I think you did great Jim. The beauty of the meet is that it tests everything. People think they have a 1500 gym total because they fucking lift a PR squat one day, a bench some other day and a DL another. Fuck that noise. Things happen in a meet and I would never take a total's word for it. There is always a story and you should be proud that you scored some sweet PRs. Great showing Rumplebroskin! I know I sound like a gehy fucking dad but I get so inspired when I see people put it on the line at meets. I want to punch the fucking gym douches at my gym who brag constantly about their lifts but have never put themselves out there!
Thanks, buddy. Like I said, I'm not really disappointed with the day. My total was really shitty, based on my goals going in, but there's a very specific reason for that. 2/3 of the day was perfect. I nailed my third attempt calls and hit what I wanted to, including two PRs.

And nah, that's cool, Dad away lol. I had a lot of older men I didn't even know at the meet coming up and congratulating me on my squat. I'm really so appreciative of those comments. They mean a lot. At least for me, I don't appreciate the weight on the bar so much as I appreciate the effort someone puts forth.

I've been at this for 7+ years, and I'm definitely at the stage now, both experience and numbers wise, where I don't really care about my gym lifts. I only look forward to putting my training and preparation to the test on the platform. I'm definitely not saying everyone should think like that, though. Being proud of gym PRs is more than acceptable. It's just not the line of thinking I've arrived at, given my lifting experience, goals, and strength level.

I've been at this for 7+ years, and I'm definitely at the stage now, both experience and numbers wise, where I don't really care about my gym lifts. I only look forward to putting my training and preparation to the test on the platform. I'm definitely not saying everyone should think like that, though. Being proud of gym PRs is more than acceptable. It's just not the line of thinking I've arrived at, given my lifting experience, goals, and strength level.

Words of wisdom, right hurr.

Nice work JimRussel, impressive lifting. Any plans to compete again this year?

Nice work JimRussel, impressive lifting. Any plans to compete again this year?
Thanks, MilkMan! I left it all on the platform. Just couldn't win the physical battle with my body on the deadlifts.

I'm going to try and be ready to go again for October 30. No weight cut, same total goal.

Very impressive Jim, the deadlifts always take a hit after a weight cut and long day. You'll get it next time for sure. Everything else was looking great.

Back