Every UFC champion is a wrestler right now

No it wasn't. Well, it was, but Conor was winning that match up anyway. He can beat any standup fighter who wont shoot and he has significant size and reach on them. But those days are over, he cant protect himself by starving himself anymore.

total fluke. you know it.

What about Rose?... started of with Taekwondo, then went on to Karate, Jiu-jitsu and finally Kickboxing in college before transitioning to MMA, Nunes was pure Jiu-jitsu. So, three champions have no real wrestling background.
rose-namajunas-ufc-195-qa-2.jpg

With all these wrestlers UFC is starting to look like.
Ugkg4fp.jpg
One of the fighters that is not a wrestler has primarily taken the reins on that <FookIsThatGuy>

125 - Cejudo, Olympic gold medalist
135 - TJ, 3x NCAA qualifer
145 - Holloway, ok everyone but him
155 - Khabib
170 - Tyrone Woodley, 2 time All American
185- Whittaker, Australian Cup champion, Commonwealth games number one Australian qualifier -- couldn't compete due to UFC contract
185 - Romero, World gold medalist, Olympic silver medalist
205 - Daniel Cormier, US Olympic team captain
265 - Daniel Cormier, US Olympic team captain

What's interesting is that Khabib has no actual wrestling background and that Whittaker appears to be a high level amateur wrestler.

The Unified rules are extremely wrestler friendly. If you can turn it into a wrestling match, you'll probably win given the small time limits and lack of standups. The only real opposition comes from other wrestlers

The Unified rules are extremely wrestler friendly. If you can turn it into a wrestling match, you'll probably win given the small time limits and lack of standups. The only real opposition comes from other wrestlers
No time limits, no stand ups then :D I'm sure wrestlers won't mind.

Then add in knees on the ground to the head, headbutts, 12-6 elbows, and concrete floors. I'm sure wrestlers still won't mind :D

Fact check: Six out of nine male UFC champions are wrestlers. Holloway's base is kickboxing. Whitaker's is karate. Neither has a wrestling background.

Khabib refers to himself as a sambo fighter.

"We combat sambo fighters"

"We are Sambo guys"

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/k...e-in-the-eye-i-knew-that-i-broke-him.3848565/

Most UFC fighters are american, and nearly every american MMA-fighter has a wrestling background.

seems like wrasslin' is a good skill to have in mma

Yeah i mean alot of them are but i wouldnt classify holloway or whittaker as wrestlers. So idk what your point is? Wrestlers have always done well in mma.

Lol @ Whittaker being a “wrestler” and citing Aussie wrestling creds.

Being a “high level wrestler” in Australia is the equivalent of being a high level Soccer player from the US... the standards are just not there.

<36>
<36>
<36>

Back