Every Champ Except Holloway and Whittaker* are accomplished Wrestlers

DC: National Team Wrestler. International Level

Whittaker: Played Rugby as a kid, but since he has became an MMA fighter he won the Australian Nationals. Not a born wrestler.

Tyron Woodley: State wrestler in HS. All American in College

Khabib: European Pankration Champ, Multiple time Sambo champ, Wrestling since he was 8.

Max Holloway: Never wrestled. He has good takedown defense, but not known for his offensive wrestling.

TJ: State Wrestler in HS.

Cejudo. Olympic Gold Medalist. International Level

Wrestling is the single most important aspect of the game.
Maybe I'm crazy but I think Australian National champion is a little bit more than "state wrestle in high school". Otherwise i agree that wrestling is tge most important skill. I used to hate wrestlers and always cheered for the striker. Not anymore, now i enjoy all styles.

Rugby TDD > Wrastling

You guys are just starting to witness the power and skill of the Pacific Oceanian inhabitants...
Ray Sefo
Mark Hunto
David Tua
Joseph Parker
Dan "Da Hangman" Hooker
Plenty more in the past and many more for the future...

Ever heard of a guy called Jonah Lomu?
If you can bring a guy like that down you gotta have a few smarts…

Hespect to all the pretty boi Pommy wingers that have to mark an islander

And fuck the IRB for not supporting the Island nations financially. You guys make fuck tons of money from the Pacific Islands and give near on nothing back, Especially you French fuckers!

Bouns Herbs...

Last edited:
Unless you run up against an anti wrestler like Aldo.
Funny thing is that Aldo was more of a wrassler, technically, in Pancrase & some of his fights in Brazilian Orgs (Meca Vale Tudo,Shooto Brazil etc...)

Tyron Woodley wasn't particularly successful when he was just a wrestler but when he added boxing skills he excelled more than anyone expected. A strong wrestling base may get you in and around the top 20 but you need serious skills to crack the top 6.

Holloway is the only one on that list that hasn't shown elite TDD (yet). That's the most important aspect of MMA.

Whittaker: Played Rugby as a kid, but since he has became an MMA fighter he won the Australian Nationals. Not a born wrestler.

Khabib: European Pankration Champ, Multiple time Sambo champ, Wrestling since he was 8.

Max Holloway: Never wrestled. He has good takedown defense, but not known for his offensive wrestling.

Wrestling was their base but they have all evolved to be so much more than your classic wrestle-boxer. TJ's stand up is beautiful, Khabib has that lethal gnp, Woodley is catching people with slip-counter right hands, and even DC won his last fight by KO.

I think it was their base, but its not the be all and end all for MMA. Look at Aldo, Anderson Silva, BJ Penn, GSP, the list goes on fam

Khabib has accomplished nothing as a wrestler. He may be one of the best wrestlers in MMA, but he's certainly not an accomplished wrestler. Sambo is a different sport.

Boxers. Great punching but if that is all you know you are fucked.
Yup
K1 showed me this many times.
Which is why I really want to see Floyd Mayweather take 1 fight in the cage. He'll be choked out in round 1 even by a flyweight gatekeeper like Wilson Reis or something.

The only reasons people are striking more in MMA is because they are generally trained in BJJ, and wrestling as well, and can negate some of that advantage, so they need better striking because they're on their feet longer. Plus, the rules give fighters more chances on their feet. Without wrestling or BJJ, you're not likely to last long, where a wrestler or a BJJ guy can survive on closing the distance.
Anyone remember John Phillips Vs Charles Byrd at UFC fight night 127?
Doubt anyone does.
Well, as a Welshman, I was looking forward to seeing another guy from Swansea enter the UFC and see how he does.
It was painfully evident as soon as Byrd took him down, John Phillips has little to no wrestling experience.
It was actually pathetic looking.
On the same topic of Brits having no wrestling whatsoever, I also remember recently watching Molly McCann Vs Gillian Robertson.
Again, it was pitiful to watch. Gillian took McCann down with ease and choked her unconscious.

Don't care. Just tell me who the slut in your av is

True. Good Boxers stay in Boxing. While its standard is low in MMA, it also just covers the least amount of areas.
Kickboxers are varied punches and kicks, which is more like MMA striking.
MT guys are good in the clinch, and can strike anywhere.
Wrestlers, self explanatory.
BJJ, self explanatory.
Boxers. Great punching but if that is all you know you are fucked.
Apples - Oranges.
There is a reason that Boxing gloves are bigger than MMA gloves.
One is for striking, the other is for grappling! Contrary to the popular opinion the larger gloves are to protect the HANDS of the better strikers!!! They are NOT to pad the impact to the opponents face FFS!
Totally different defense striking with the larger gloves.

Most important components of Boxing are hands and knees. NO top boxer would EVER be allowed to compete in kick boxing by their trainers due to the potential damage to the knees!
When it comes to striking Boxers hands are far above kick boxers. No top KB champion has the hands to hang with a decent journeyman boxer, and they have proven that time and time again attempting to make the transition.
Kick Boxers are Kick Boxers because their Boxing skills suck!

MMA can't pay enough to make ANY top 20 ranked boxer in ANY WC put 4 oz gloves on and risk breaking their money makers!

Face it grappling gloves are for grappling, You don't have to worry about breaking hands that are not elite!

How do you determine that GSP is a better MMA wrestler than Jones, if Cormier is a better MMA wrestler than everyone GSP has faced, including GSP himself?

You pretty much explained why Gus took Jones down: Jones underestimated Gus' wrestling. That doesn't mean Gus' wrestling is better. He simply caught Jones off guard.
Gus took dc down too. Gus is a great mma wrestler! Proven it a lot in his UFC career. Not better than Jones or DC but proved he can compete at the highest level and dictate the fight. Its why despite having no marquee win on his resume, he still is top 3 in his division. Jon 48-47 btw.

The rules do not "greatly benefit wrestling". With no rules there would be no time limits, no stand ups, 12-6 elbows WAY more effective for wrestlers, knees to downed opponents, spine strikes, etc.
That is all just off of the top of my head, though I am sure there are many more.
Some rules do benefit wrestlers (such as enclosed space, scoring for takedowns, top control), but IMO if anything the rules benefit strikers more.

Just because you find wrestling boring does not make it any less "real fighting". If you hate it so much, go watch kickboxing. Oh... and in "real fighting", a pure striker with no TDD training gets taken down and pounded out easily by a pure wrestler with no striking training. I should know, Ive been there many times.

Sorry bro, wrestling is not a combat sport. It's a physical chess match. There is a reason wrestling was late to the game in MMA, and thats because it took them time to incorporate other techniques. Without BJJ training wrestling is a joke

Back