Every Champ Except Holloway and Whittaker* are accomplished Wrestlers

Legendary

Ꮥµpǝɹnøʌɐ
@Black
Reaction score
DC: National Team Wrestler. International Level

Whittaker: Played Rugby as a kid, but since he has became an MMA fighter he won the Australian Nationals. Not a born wrestler.

Tyron Woodley: State wrestler in HS. All American in College

Khabib: European Pankration Champ, Multiple time Sambo champ, Wrestling since he was 8.

Max Holloway: Never wrestled. He has good takedown defense, but not known for his offensive wrestling.

TJ: State Wrestler in HS.

Cejudo. Olympic Gold Medalist. International Level

Wrestling is the single most important aspect of the game.

While it’s far past the point of debate that wrestling is the most important art, atleast for the unified rules cage fighting version of MMA. TJs success has more to do with his striking.

If you are the better wrestler you dictate where the fight takes place.

This is obviously a huge advantage.

Wrestling reigns supreme in MMA.

Pretty sure most of us agree with that last statement. It's been that way quite awhile.

I don't think wrestling being a highly valued skill in mma, especially under the unified rules has been seriously disputed but you're not wrong.

In 2015 every champion except Jon Jones/Mighty Mouse (who occasionally fought southpaw as well) were southpaw striker-grapplers. I believe it was Werdum/Jones/Rockhold/Lawler/RDA/McGregor/TJ/DJ. The top of the game shifts around.

Last edited:
The fight starts standing. Isn't standup the most important aspect of the game?

Pretty sure Robert Whitaker was representing Australia in wrestling at the Commonwealth games until Dana said no... though I understand Australia isn’t known for its wrestling credentials.

Jon Jones isn't that accomplished although he is arguably the goat MMA wrestler

Wrestling bores me, flashy strikers are more fun to watch.

Pretty sure Robert Whitaker was representing Australia in wrestling at the Commonwealth games until Dana said no... though I understand Australia isn’t known for its wrestling credentials.
Australian grappling has a heavy emphasis on roojitsu.

tenor.gif

I'll show myself out.

We still haven't seen high level boxing in MMA.

We've seen high level
Wrestling
BJJ
Kickboxing
And MT

The boxing standard is still super low in mma

While it’s far past the point of debate that wrestling is the most important art, atleast for the unified rules cage fighting version of MMA. TJs success has more to do with his striking.

Not totally unrelated to his wrestling though. If his wrestling was a weakness, the approach to fighting him would be totally different. Conor is a perfect example of that.

most high level boxers in their prime will stay in boxing pursing bigger paydays rather than try to learn wrestling,judo, etc

We still haven't seen high level boxing in MMA.

We've seen high level
Wrestling
BJJ
Kickboxing
And MT

The boxing standard is still super low in mma

True. Good Boxers stay in Boxing. While its standard is low in MMA, it also just covers the least amount of areas.
Kickboxers are varied punches and kicks, which is more like MMA striking.
MT guys are good in the clinch, and can strike anywhere.
Wrestlers, self explanatory.
BJJ, self explanatory.
Boxers. Great punching but if that is all you know you are fucked.

A wrestler can diminish a strikers offense standing simply as a result of the threat of a take down. It's a really powerful base.

A wrestler can diminish a strikers offense standing simply as a result of the threat of a take down. It's a really powerful base.

Fedor Cro Cop. Mirko was terrified to go to the floor with him.

Back