Everlast Powerlock loose inner lining issue?

SeanSavage

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hey whats up everyone, I got myself a pair of Everlast Powerlock 14oz hook and loop gloves a couple months back, I have used them on and off as I have a rotation of gloves I switch between, anyways just wondering if anyone has a pair and has an issue with the loose nylon lining inside, I'm not sure if it's just my pair that got dealt a bad hand with quality control or what but just thought i'd ask. For what some people call a top of the line Everlast glove they are great but my issue is the lining inside.

Powerlocks are not Everlasts top quality glove. The top quality gloves are their fight gloves, and even within that subcategory, their MX line. Even their MX training gloves have odd shapes and fits once you make it past 16 oz.

Everlast Powerlock are not quality gloves. I've seen some powerlocks that are better, and some that are terrible. The issue is that it's always a tossup. Not worth buying full price, questionable at half price.

Also, the price has gone down. When these first came out, they were $150 for the training gloves. Now they're $100, and they have a $50 version. They're pulling a bait in switch. If there's a big price drop like that, it usually means something else is dropping, namely quality, if it was even there in the first place.

Everlast in general have been known for quality control issues.

I've had 2 pairs of Powerlocks in the past, with 1 of them having terrible stitching, and the other 1 being just fine.

You might have better luck with their newest model, the Elite. I have a pair in 16oz/laceup and they are quite good. Some of my friends picked up some Elite trainers with no issues as well.

Lastly, the Elites are easily one of the most comfortable pairs of gloves I've ever put on.

deh you like the elites? I got the 18s - very stiff, not real leather (I knew that going in) laces were stringy. They were pretty well made considering, I just really dislike the materials. Do they break in well? I've seen one cruiserweight pro using them.

Maybe I should just stick to getting 16s. Also, I wish they had used a better solution for the velcro on their elites.

The elite pro fight gloves are beautiful by the way, very high quality leather.

Thanks for the replies, These are the only pair of Everlast i've ever owned and purchased, I was lucky enough to have some Reyes handed down to me years back and pretty much been using Reyes ever since with the exception of 2 other brands I keep in rotation, also I am considering trying out the MX line at some point in the near future. Thanks for the responses.

deh you like the elites? I got the 18s - very stiff, not real leather (I knew that going in) laces were stringy. They were pretty well made considering, I just really dislike the materials. Do they break in well? I've seen one cruiserweight pro using them.

Maybe I should just stick to getting 16s. Also, I wish they had used a better solution for the velcro on their elites.

The elite pro fight gloves are beautiful by the way, very high quality leather.

Yeah I like em. I hear the velcro isn't that great on them though.

I use elasticated laces on mine.

They're definitely quite stiff for sparring, probably due to the perma-synthetic leather and stiff external padding, so I only use them for mitts/bagwork.

Fit wise, I felt there was no need for any break in. Very comfortable.

The padding has softened up only a little bit after a month of usage, whereas my Powerlock's padding softened up much faster in the same time frame.

I asked an Everlast rep if the padding was similar to their discontinued "Professional Leather" training gloves (pretty popular in the early 2000's, and one of my favorite gloves ever... the ones that were described as being designed by orthopedic surgeons), and they said it's pretty much the same thing.

Referencing these : Professional Leather hook and loop:
everlast+boxing.jpg

I really wish they would bring that model back.

It was real leather, crafted good (maybe hand crafted?), and had a durable padding system.

It's like they took that model , and made inferior cheaper versions of them (Powerlock and Elites) then discontinued.

If they made a Leather-version of the Elites, then maybe it comes close to it.

Last edited:
Everlast in general have been known for quality control issues.

I've had 2 pairs of Powerlocks in the past, with 1 of them having terrible stitching, and the other 1 being just fine.

You might have better luck with their newest model, the Elite. I have a pair in 16oz/laceup and they are quite good. Some of my friends picked up some Elite trainers with no issues as well.

Lastly, the Elites are easily one of the most comfortable pairs of gloves I've ever put on.
The stitching job on my Powerlocks particularly the left glove looks like trash, looks like whoever made the glove was hurrying before the end of the day was over at their sweatshop and quickly did it, then handed the gloves in lol

The stitching job on my Powerlocks particularly the left glove looks like trash, looks like whoever made the glove was hurrying before the end of the day was over at their sweatshop and quickly did it, then handed the gloves in lol
Why don't you just contact Everlast and ask them if they can replace it?

Here is what I received from Everlast:
rderpro Emails <[email protected]>
Feb 7
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me
cleardot.gif

Gloves are purposely manufactured with the interior liner slightly loose to allow for hand wraps, tape, gauze, or other protective materials. Unfortunately, the size of the users hand(s) may not fully suppress this material. If the liner is sewn in very snug and tight it may compromise the fit and function.

Let us know if you have other questions.

Have a good day,

Richelle

In addition, I did a review on them for MMA Gear Addict and we had 2-3 comments about loose liners or liners falling apart. Mine were the synthetic gloves.

Here is what I received from Everlast:
rderpro Emails <[email protected]>
Feb 7
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me
cleardot.gif

Gloves are purposely manufactured with the interior liner slightly loose to allow for hand wraps, tape, gauze, or other protective materials. Unfortunately, the size of the users hand(s) may not fully suppress this material. If the liner is sewn in very snug and tight it may compromise the fit and function.

Let us know if you have other questions.

Have a good day,

Richelle
Well that's the first and last Everlast product I buy.

i liked my powerlocks until the padding went flat, like completely flat.

check out the elites, like deh said. very comfortable and good protection. they do come stiff but you can break them in by flattening them overnight, which helps hold your fist in the right place.

i liked my powerlocks until the padding went flat, like completely flat.

check out the elites, like deh said. very comfortable and good protection. they do come stiff but you can break them in by flattening them overnight, which helps hold your fist in the right place.
the padding on mine have been great and they have broken in, my issue is the loose lining. it can get quite hot inside due to the looseness as it all bunches up. It is what it is, i'll keep them in my rotation until they fall apart.

the padding on mine have been great and they have broken in, my issue is the loose lining. it can get quite hot inside due to the looseness as it all bunches up. It is what it is, i'll keep them in my rotation until they fall apart.
It really is too bad the liner is crap, I actually like the gloves a lot, until I get some freakin nylon in between my fingers and then I rip them off and swear to never use them again. I had wondered if the real leather Powerlock gloves were the same or I got a crap stitch job because I got the synthetics.

It really is too bad the liner is crap, I actually like the gloves a lot, until I get some freakin nylon in between my fingers and then I rip them off and swear to never use them again. I had wondered if the real leather Powerlock gloves were the same or I got a crap stitch job because I got the synthetics.
I don't plan on ever investing in another Everlast product after this. I'm going to run these gloves to the ground until they can't be used any longer and that's that.

I don't plan on ever investing in another Everlast product after this. I'm going to run these gloves to the ground until they can't be used any longer and that's that.
Agreed, there are too many good options that provide much better customer service. My purpose for doing the review on those synthetic Powerlocks was to see if they might be the best glove in the $40-$60 price range. If it weren't for the liner they would probably be the best.

Agreed, there are too many good options that provide much better customer service. My purpose for doing the review on those synthetic Powerlocks was to see if they might be the best glove in the $40-$60 price range. If it weren't for the liner they would probably be the best.
#LinerGate

KO Fight Gear's gloves are $40-50 depending on sale status and are awesome for that price. Perfect starter gloves, real durable too.

Back