Ever heard of Gongkwon Yusul? Korean JiuJitsu -videos-

I'm sorry, but you are an idiot... no offence. :icon_lol: I guess english is not your first luanguage or something because your not understanding what I'm saying. Nefti said Dave quit Judo and never trained it again. I simply said that Judo is ingrained in Dave to the point where it's in everything he does, which is true for most anything you dedicate the majority of your life to.... especially if it pertains to grappling like Judo does. So he hasn't actually stopped training Judo. That's what I said..... that was my meaning. How in the world could you get anything else from that. I don't give a fuck about leaving one art or coming back or whatever other shit you keep talking. That was the point. I was addressing what Nefti said.

I dont know who is nefti and I dun care. Someone said a GKYS bb left the school forever to take bjj. And he said as if GKYS is bad or something just because someone stopped taking it to learn bjj. So I said, there are many other martial artists who leave their styles to go learn bjj. Example is Dave Camarillo. Yes, his judo is ingrained in himself and I know that but, that is not the main point I want to say to the guy that said "Someone left GKYS to learn bjj and never came back." I was just arguing to him that people change styles and never look back at old styles. And that old style taken earlier does not suck just because yuo left it.

You misunderstood the whole thing since you entered the arguement saying that I do not know that Dave still uses judo. He certainly does, but me and the guy who try to ridicule GKYS for some troll-like reason was not discussing about how much Dave uses judo. Dave's transition from Judo to bjj was just an example of how people learn one style and go one to next, regardless of whether they still use the old style or not.

Have you trained In this Art? I have you seem to not know what your talking about you can call Cho Sang Wook up in Yang San and ask about the half korean kid Trey if you dont believe me. GKYS is like this.

You warm up by doing stretches, pushups, hindu pushups, squats, sit-ups, then you do 3 step sparring but the other guy hits you if you dont block quickly enough and its pretty hard. After than you do some kickboxing, boxing drills with focus mats, in that gay line formation. After that you might do some lower leg kicks with your partner to toughen up the legs. that would consist of the striking classes we had. The grappling classes he would teach the armbar from mount when someone pushes you, he taught us the common americana then the armbar counter when someone reaches over to save their arm. Taught us basic ground game and shit that I learned from BJJ. Then after techniques we started sparring. One good thing about Cho Sang Wook was that he also took us out to eat and play at the batting cages some times.

I dont care if GKYS has a Bad name in the Korean Grappling community, I learned some shit that I used when I camee back hope such as the Americana with your legs from Kesa, or the near armbar from kesa or side control. Not all the Instructors are jokes man, they just suffer from the quick expansion. One thing that I dislike about it is the fact they had black belts who were 16-18 and had not even been training for 2 years.

All in all I would train in GKYS again because I believe with the right instructors it can be a very effective art and by tweaking the rule sets you will see vast improvements in quality control. If my Korean didnt suck so much I would call Master Kang my self and tell him bluntly that he is hurting the rep of his MA.

Ive been to bullshido page about GKYS. They did criticize its business-like ways to teach people, as they compared it with Gracie University that gives belts online. Martial arts today do such practices and I admit that fact. Both GKYS and Gracie Jujitsu are legit schools but need to fix that problem or their reputation will suffer.

Gongkwon Yusul sucks ass.

It's not an offshoot of BJJ. It's an off shoot of someone watching BJJ. i guess a few of the early UFC video tapes where Royce Gracie dominated must have made it over to korea early and the founder of gongkwon Yusul decided to try to beat them too the punch by quickly inventing his own crappy interpretation by learning from the videos and combining it with his other martial arts before BJJ and official UFC videos came over to Korea.

Kind of like those crappy imitation movies that get made and released in less than 2 weeks so they're available for rent/purchase before the real version is even in theaters.

you know the ones I mean "300: spartans" is to "300" as "Gongkwon Yusul" is to "BJJ in Korea"

Troll. Cry more.

just stating my opinion, like you keep stating yours over and over and over....

You misunderstood the whole thing since you entered the arguement saying that I do not know that Dave still uses judo. He certainly does, but me and the guy who try to ridicule GKYS for some troll-like reason was not discussing about how much Dave uses judo. Dave's transition from Judo to bjj was just an example of how people learn one style and go one to next, regardless of whether they still use the old style or not.

I havn't misunderstood anything. I understand exactly what your saying. My statement was completely outside whatever argument you two were having. I don't understand how you dont get that. :icon_conf

I havn't misunderstood anything. I understand exactly what your saying. My statement was completely outside whatever argument you two were having. I don't understand how you dont get that. :icon_conf

I understand exactly what your saying. My statement was completely outside whatever argument you two were having. I don't understand how you dont get that.

Out of all the posts you've made in this thread this is the one that I like the most.

1,000,000,000,000/1,000,000,000,000

AWESOME!!!

Thank you for agreeing with me on the fact that Mikey Triangles is being retarded.

Negative. You are the one wearing a helmet here.

Thank you for agreeing with me on the fact that Mikey Triangles is being retarded.

Mikey Triangles is just stating facts. they were opinions yesterday, but I wrote a book last night called, Gongkwon Yusul: the 'Knock-Off' Art. obviously now that there is a book stating them they are FACTS.

In my book it explains how the GKYS founder mimicked the moves of Royce Gracie in the first UFC tournament, and combined them with his "Yudo" and "Hapkido"in 1996 for the ultimate bootleg style in order to lock-in students before BJJ made it to Korea. It also goes on to tell how he and his students then made multiple internet accounts to go into forums and repeatedly spam the same shit over and over until even the most patient of posters got annoyed.

the main philosphy behind GKYS is "repitition with annoying dispositon".

these are FACTS that came out of a BOOK. You OPINION is now moot.

I'm think about writing another follow up book for this series called "GKYS.... just GKYS". hope you enjoy it!

Mikey Triangles is just stating facts. they were opinions yesterday, but I wrote a book last night called, Gongkwon Yusul: the 'Knock-Off' Art. obviously now that there is a book stating them they are FACTS.

In my book it explains how the GKYS founder mimicked the moves of Royce Gracie in the first UFC tournament, and combined them with his "Yudo" and "Hapkido"in 1996 for the ultimate bootleg style in order to lock-in students before BJJ made it to Korea. It also goes on to tell how he and his students then made multiple internet accounts to go into forums and repeatedly spam the same shit over and over until even the most patient of posters got annoyed.

I'm think about writing another follow up book for this series called "GKYS.... just GKYS". hope you enjoy it!

If I was wearing a hat, I will take it off for you sir

Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics. Even though you win, you are still retarded.

This pretty much sums up the last couple of days of this thread. Why the heck did a 2 year old thread need to get revived? :icon_neut
Maybe it was showing up too high in the search engine results, so some GKYS promoter/instructor decided to try for some improvement to it's reputation?

It explains why so many posts, all repeating the search phrase.

okay we have a bit of a break in arguing.... lets go on into more technique specifics..

I WENT TO GKYS SEMINAR JUNE THIS YEAR (they invite the Korean Grandmaster Kang)

couple of things I need to take note:

1. the seminar was all-day (including sparring etc)
2. striking? not so much, I get to spar with some of the brown belt students. just ok. I almost nail the guy on the jaw, never spar with such rules before.
3. grappling? some students are struggling to apply a good armbar. I am a white belt BJJ, but my blue belt fren does a lot tighter and better armbar than their brown belts.
4. non-members werent allowed to have a roll with any of their students. So I just watched the brown belts spar. IMO it was the sloppiest grappling ever. brown belts, but they pass guard straight to mount so easily, and kept on getting swept numerous times, like they have no base or control whatsoever. I even saw the black belt in side control then for no reason let himself pinned under north-south position, instead of going for guard.the guy on top doesnt have much control either, look a little like two guys doing Yoga.
5. personally, i am not impressed. and they have this instructors program. I met one of them last yer and he had red belt, by June he's a black belt/instructor

thats just my opinion.my background (blak belt tkd, 3 years muay thai, some boxing & sanshou, white belt bjj)

This art looks like it incorporates a lot of the flashy, and not very practical JJJ stuff IMO.

Arguing with Koreans is fun, isn't it Mikey?

GKYS is Korean, and it's impossible to convince a Korean person that something Korean isn't the best thing in the world of its kind. It's just how they are. Korean Pride!

Back