Ever have to give up a hobby?

I got in to indoor archery after completing a course. I only did it to make friends tbh.
1st few weeks you'd be allowed to use the club bows but then they pressure you to buy your own.
A half decent recurve bow is roughly £300 not invluding the aditional equipment.

I didnt consider this economically viable considering the other shooters were either elderly people or kids.

I have had the same few hobbies for years now. Working and and training, and power drinking on the weekends. I don’t see me ever stopping either as I love them both. But I’ll slow down the drinking at times. I don’t power lift or CrossFit or real MMA anymore because it’s just too hard on the body at my age.

I played drum kit in a death metal band. We were called Exophagy played a show in la then Roseville. Played a few times here too.

But yep drinking a lot, needing to drink a lot. Hocking cymbals, petals. Lost interest in drums anyway completely. When I used to drink.

Shit, that sucks. I used to play in a metal band. I eventually quit because nobody but me was really putting any effort into it and I didn’t have time to do all that because I needed to go back to school. It was definitely the right choice.

Ever have to give up a hobby or something you really enjoy due to an injury.? Were you able to let it go?

Yes.

SecondaryMagnificentHammerheadbird-size_restricted.gif

No.

Did BJJ for a year almost every day. After a weight lifting back injury I am out of the game. Although I do miss it, I don’t miss all the nagging injuries to my neck and shoulders and shit you get from grappling. Fuck that, actually I don’t miss it haha

Aerospace engineering. I twisted my ankle and gave it up for good.

I don’t think I’ve ever had a hobby as an adult. I’ve worked 70 hours a week since I left school. Looking through this thread got me like
7eAVx.gif

I have had the same few hobbies for years now. Working and and training, and power drinking on the weekends. I don’t see me ever stopping either as I love them both. But I’ll slow down the drinking at times. I don’t power lift or CrossFit or real MMA anymore because it’s just too hard on the body at my age.
I was like you once upon a time.

i just gave up downhilling not too long ago
shit's dangerous and i'm getting old

Man, if even 10% of my crashes in DH were as bad as they should've been I'd be a cripple. I try not to ride like an idiot too much now that I'm almost 40, but let's face it, half the fun of downhilling is riding way too fast and getting away with stupid shit.

Man, if even 10% of my crashes in DH were as bad as they should've been I'd be a cripple. I try not to ride like an idiot too much now that I'm almost 40, but let's face it, half the fun of downhilling is riding way too fast and getting away with stupid shit.
sold my giant glory, after i faceplanted at the hardest trail in Budapest.
stoppped being fun for me

I've only given them up by choice, not because I've had to. Not having kids helps.

Olympic weightlifting when I was 18 due to a herniated disk. It was an extremely sad chapter in my life. I really loved it. Time passed though and I formed new interests.

The hilarity of the situation was that when I started at 16 years old (nearly 15 years ago) Toronto had hardley any places to train and the only places you could go costed an arm and a leg and were very far in terms of travel time. Now there is a gym literally down the street from my house that specializes in Oly lifting for a fraction of the price.

Life is cruel.

hmm no not really... Ive had lots of hobbies or interests but if I stopped them was because I got bored or they just faded away from my life.... if anything what I feel is that from every hobbie or interest Ive had throughout my life I kept some knowledge or experience that I took with me and will forever be able to talk about those experiences...its made my life richer thats how I see it

All of them.

I never really had time in my young years, but I especially don't now.

It's sad.

<DCrying>

Yes to an extent. Mostly because I am way too busy with work and being a parent and husband

1. Powerlifting
2. Photography

Reason why I say to an extent is because when I do workout I can still do the big 3 lifts and train like a powerlifter. Most of it is just finding the time to actually workout. Now a days I'm happy if I can workout even once in a month. It got that bad. However even if I could workout consistently 3-4 days per week for 60-90 minutes I don't see myself doing it nearly close to the level I was at my prime and competing. Back then I was training like a madman with crazy volume. As for photography it's one of those things I can do anytime as long as I pick up a camera (or even use my phone), but not to the extend that I would when I was a true hobbyist or moreso when I was doing freelancing as a side job more than as an actual hobby. Don't got time for that. I think the biggest differene of why I don't consider it as a hobby anymore is because I really don't think about it or get excited about it like I use to. They were both basically obsessions during it's peak.

BJJ. Was done with my ex and I knew breaking up with her meant I had to drop it but I couldn't continue in that relationship anymore. The instructor even offered to let me continue training for free, and paid off the rest that I owed with his payment company. Amazing person to do that for me but I didn't feel like I could even look him in the eyes going to school for free.

That was 6.5 years ago. During that time I started lifting weights again heavily and added about 40 pounds to my body weight. After that I wanted to go back but was afraid of losing my gains because it was crazy hard for me to lift weights and do BJJ when I did it before. Got tired of lifting weights 4 days a week and said fuck it joined BJJ. It's been much easier to lift and do BJJ I think because my diet is 10x cleaner than it was back then. I've been back doing BJJ for a little over a year and I'm loving it. I remember I would have dreams of doing BJJ again and I'd wake up feeling like shit those dreams are gone now.

Back