Ever had a student or training partner snap?

Yeah. Never again.

We had a guy that like young boys train at our place for awhile. I always felt something was off about him. He trained there a few months and headed off to vacation in some 3rd world country and brought back pictures of him with mid teen age boys and bragged about how it wasnt against the law there to date them. It was a surreal situation.

Most recent one is with a dude who wanted to be a pro grappler. Had wrestled for 9 years, had been doing BJJ for 2-3 years, and was doing ok in general. We sparred and right after I swept him for the second time in the round (I'm only a recreative purple belt) he stopped, stood up, went straight to the locker room and then left the gym. He didn't come back after that. There were other factors in play (he switched gyms), but I like to think I broke him forever :D

Edit: just read the opening post. Dang, nope, not even close.

We have a guy that we kind of suspect that he has been going to prison for domestic violence. Here in Quebec we have a lot of week-end prison time, so he just talks about him being stuck in prison for the last two weekends... The way he talked about is separation from his girlfriend was cringy.

He was already a huge dick when we were rolling with him, he's a smaller guy and he's always complaining, trying shitty heel hooks when he has no control, almost kicking people... I used to roll with him like I do with the girls, no strenght, no pressure, only techniques... Now it's smash time!!!

Most recent one is with a dude who wanted to be a pro grappler. Had wrestled for 9 years, had been doing BJJ for 2-3 years, and was doing ok in general. We sparred and right after I swept him for the second time in the round (I'm only a recreative purple belt) he stopped, stood up, went straight to the locker room and then left the gym. He didn't come back after that. There were other factors in play (he switched gyms), but I like to think I broke him forever :D

Edit: just read the opening post. Dang, nope, not even close.

I had one like that. The guy started BJJ after a couple of years of wrestling (which is huge in Quebec because nobody wrestles). He had some success in the gym, managing to get good top position early from takedowns. But he never worked on some stuff like guard retention, escapes or even guard passing. When I was rolling with him it was very annoying because anytime I was hitting good sweeps or guard passes he switch to the coaching mode saying: '' good, now try to get top control, watch your posture...''

When I asked him if he was doing the next competition he just answered: '' Sure, it needs somebody to win it''.

We did our first competition together, and it didn't go well for neither of us. I learned a lot, took it well and put a lot of stuff in my head to get better. I stayed there for the remainder of the competition to learn as much as I can and to watch our top guys compete.

After is last fight my partner just came at me, said that it was the last time he lost in a competition and got away.

I saw him the next week at the gym, still doing the same stuff, after a couple weeks we saw him once a week, then a couple weeks without seeing him, then a month...

Now he comes back for 3 or 4 classes in a row and we don't see him for a month.

I think he was right, you can't lose another time in competition if you don't compete

upload_2018-9-14_9-17-10.png

Back