Even if you ignore Anderson failed drug tests, he's still not the goat...

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Fesaine, Dec 6, 2018.

1. JustBreed

JustBreed Orange Belt

Yeah it doesn't really phase me, but I understand how it bothers alot of people.

2. Maroli

Maroli Brown Belt

Shhhh, don't tell people that Anderson had holes in his game and that his offensive striking was the only standout aspect of his game (but that was wayyyy ahead of any of his competitors). His defensive guard is the next best part of his game. His striking defense is hilariously overrated on this forum because he did that thing with Griffin where he falls into the same pre-set bob and weave routine he's used multiple times against slow fighters. The guy was tagged by some pretty questionable strikers multiple times but had a godly chin so relied on that: Fryklund, Chonan etc all landed solid shots on him.

wildchild88 likes this.
  3. JKS

JKS 77+&--#rT....

I dont quite get when people call the division he fought in weak, but yet ignore the fact the the guys he did fight were top level MWs. I understand that MW dind't have the depth when Anderson got his belt, but if he's fighting top level guys then what difference does it make?? WW can have 25 top level fighters, while MW only has 10, but if both champs face the same amount of high level comp then what does depth matter?

I mean Anderson won the belt in 2006 and he first few fights were Franklin, Lutter, Marquart, Franklin and Hendo. That is 4/5 top level MWs, Lutter was average. The middle of his reign was weaker with Leitas and Maia, but then went Sonnen, Vitor, Okami, Sonnen which again are top level MWs.

Anderson and GSP fought pretty much an equal level of competition. Jones fought the best IMO

4. adnatal

adnatal Green Belt

I feel that the other GOAT candidates fought much better opponents than him, that's all. Rich Franklin was a guy who's main strength was striking and his striking was really not great imo...

5. Hellhammer84

Hellhammer84 Orange Belt

He may not be THE goat but he is certainly A goat at 185

6. JKS

JKS 77+&--#rT....

Many don't see Rich as a elite fighter, but his resume speaks for how good he is. I don't think Anderson resume is better than the other goat candidates either....I think its on par with GSP, better than Fedor but not as good as Jones. I just wanted to point out the the depth of the MW division is not really some thing that hurts his legacy because he fought all the best guys the division had to offer.

adnatal likes this.
  7. JoshTehV

JoshTehV Blue Belt

DC has been ever since he ko'd stipe , and its stipe now now Stipe because DC fucked his shit up

8. JoshTehV

JoshTehV Blue Belt

homeboy popped 2 or 3 times wtf you talkin bout

Arm Barbarian likes this.
  9. NoSmilez

NoSmilez Black Belt

My only critique with Jones is that he seemed to lose a lot of his fighting time to bullshit outside of fighting. Fighting isn't kind to folks who get older and eventually everyone makes the sacrifice to the JBG. I don't think Jones fought enough for his accolades to outweigh the eventual failures that will come later in his career. We are getting an older Jones with a bad hairline now. I hope he does perform well for his Gus fight and fight a lot more.
    I know Anderson has been busted for steroids as well but that is later in his career after his horrific leg break. Anderson did give us a lot of fights while he was "hot".

10. tasticles

tasticles Red Belt

I can shut this one down real quick. Did jones move up a weight class to fight anyone? Bye felicia

11. Soulkrusher

Soulkrusher Blue Belt

You gotta give Silva credit for always being willing to step in and save a card no matter who it’s against or how short notice.

12. snugglecakes

snugglecakes Purple Belt

He also had favorable matchups doing his run and as soon as the division started getting decent wrasslers who can actually get him down (not submission artists first... take down artists 10th like the luters of the world and all those sloppy brawlers his style was tailer made to destroy) he has problems right away... by first getting dominated for 4.5 rounds then pulling off a lucky ass sub and then shorts grab cheated in the Chael rematch on the way to that win.. and then he got “the crised” after 1 last free bum win vs a passed out in his car getting citizen arrested boner. Anderson has never faced an actual legit striker. Even TRTor just throws in a straight line with speed but nothing that’s actually technical. Hendo had pretty much completely lost his wrestlers ability by the time they fought so that defaults back to the sloppy brawler matchup that favors Andy.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  13. tenniswhiz

tenniswhiz Steel Belt

Guidelines like that won’t give guys like BJ and Randy, both Top 10 of all time, their due.

14. Bobbybackpack

Bobbybackpack Blue Belt

Jones is way better than Anderson. Was that hard to understand?

15. HughPhug

HughPhug Black Belt

Calm down sweetheart you'll give yourself headache

16. hassebas

hassebas Yellow Belt

The insane stuff Silva did before loosing is unreal... such dominance and confidence... al the never seen moves... truly a pionier and 1 of a kind... Jones is nowhere near the unreal stuff Silva did...

17. Blowing Dixie

Blowing Dixie White Belt

Without eye pokes and the threat of them Jones wouldn't have won against many of his opponents. He is the only one of the beforementioned GOATs that constantly relied on using banned techniques.
    Imagine if GSP or Fedor had went for multiple blatant groin kicks every fight. Would you still have called them GOATs? Because I wouldn't have.

18. Juventud

Juventud Black Belt

Clean Goat: GSP
    Roid Goat: Jones

Clean Wmma Goat: Gina/Ronda/Holly tied
    Roid Wmma Goat: Cyborg

19. surrealworlds

surrealworlds Green Belt

Potential GOATS w/PEDS
    J. Jones
    Fedor
    A. Silva
    GSP
    D. Cormier

Potential GOAT w/o PEDS
    Fedor
    GSP
    D. Cormier

Everything else is up for debate

20. dc007

dc007 mr. white belt

This. We have never seen a more dangerous fighter than Jones.