Even if BJ Loses Tomorrow, He's Still the Greatest LW fighter in the history of MMA

he's not goat LW ROFLLL

Bj was Conor before Conor..mad respect to the legend..just scrap!

It may be long gone, but that doesn't mean you should forget about it.

BJ Penn was truly great. What he accomplished in the sport was legendary. It's a shame that too many of you of newbies judge a fighter only by his most recent fights, as if fighters are immune to the ravages of time, age, injuries, and wealth. But be careful. You might find that your favorite fighters of today are judged even more harshly than Penn when they too start to age and lose.

When you say most recent fights. You understand he hasn't won a fight in over 5 years. Right?????

To the death BJ was awesome. But a lie.

Sean Shark was his best imho

Well hes certainly trying his best to tarnish his legacy, which is an absolute shame

In my mind (as you can see from my profile signature) he will still be the champ. He had a GREAT run at LW and had some great fights in other weight classes. He will always be a legend and will always be a pioneer. I just hope that he comes out without a KO or submission. He's got a heart of a lion and will NEVER give up which makes him who he is. As long as this happens (which I'll bet the farm on) he will be the best in my eyes. As far as the rest.... the sport has passed him by and the likes of Conor and Mighty Mouse. These guys are pound for pound the best but will NEVER go up as far as BJ to prove it. In the next few years I don't see anyone doing what he did by going up to 205 to fight a top contender. This is why he will always be the champ in my book.

When you say most recent fights. You understand he hasn't won a fight in over 5 years. Right?????

Yes, he hasn't been the same fighter for a long time. He's retired and un-retired and gotten in bar fights with his friends and had trouble with camps. He could get away with that when he was younger, but when he got to his thirties, the lack of focus and discipline began to matter.

BJ was a phenomenal athlete. People forget about his amazing accomplishments in BJJ. They forget how Freddie Roach said BJ had some of the best boxing he had seen in a MMA. They forget his amazing flexibility.

He'll be fighting at FW, so I suppose this makes sense.

He'll be fighting at FW, so I suppose this makes sense.

I don't mean LW as in the division. I mean that BJ Penn is the greatest lightweight fighter in the history of the sport, with lightweight being defined as anything below 170.

Lol no..he beat weak competitions at his time nooo..overrated<TrumpWrong1>

Even if he win..i still believe Takanori Gomi resume is more impressive.

Lol no..he beat weak competitions at his time nooo..overrated<TrumpWrong1>

Ridiculous. He fought the best of the best. GSP, Machida, Hughes, Sherk, Diaz, Gomi, etc. And yeah he lost a lot of those fights. But there was no challenge he didn't take up.

He's the Ronda of LW for sure

If he was Ronda, he would have never gone up in weight to fight numerous larger opponents. Ronda wanted nothing to do with Cyborg. Penn would have fought Cyborg if he was a girl.

I don't mean LW as in the division. I mean that BJ Penn is the greatest lightweight fighter in the history of the sport, with lightweight being defined as anything below 170.
Since you said below 170, eliminating GSP, there is no way BJ was better than Aldo. Winning two titles in different divisions is amazing, but BJ lost to Edgar when Sherdog was proclaiming BJ invincible at LW and Aldo had a run of over a decade being undefeated. I don't care for either guy, but Aldo outshines an overrated Penn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cartoonq123
Back