ESPN: Still 12 PPV's a Year, Only 10 Fights a year on ESPN Cable

Sounds the same to me except people won't be bitching about FOX cards, they'll be bitching about ESPN cards.

I think 12 PPV's is a massive mistake.

Writing is on the on the wall that fans aren't paying for a PPV just because its UFC anymore. They have been educated and only cherry picking events they want to see. Maybe they are banking on ESPN bringing in a new wave of fans that might support PPV more, but I think you'd have to be living under a rock to not know about the UFC and what it is. UFC has proving in the last year or two they have hard time putting out more than about 6 or 7 quality PPV events a year.

Its not a 30-year TV deal, its only 5 years. The UFC probably checked to see if anyone would be willing to pay them enough to take some of the PPV's off the market, and the answer to that right now is apparently no. In 5 years if the various TV networks change their mind, then they can reduce PPV in the future. Even for a "bad" PPV, if they can usually get about 150k buys, its still worth it to put that on PPV if the networks are willing to pay, say less than $5MM for those 5 fights. There may be an argument to take a short-term "loss" now for more exposure among the casuals, but they are probably betting that ESPN will be handling that part of their business anyway with pre- and post-fight shows, Sportscenter (which people actually watch unlike FS1), etc.

With pfl and bellator, we'll have about 1 billion mma events next year. Also LFA , rizin, one, and others...how can you justify charging for mma one offs like ppvs?

Unless it's a must watch event, I may only watch like 1-2 ppvs live now, just too much content...plus Dana white backyard fights, Dana looking for a fight, possibly Dana/ufc boxing in addition to existing boxing, golden boy mma with chuck, Conor boxing, Conor street fights with dollys...its too much

Its gotta be a big ppv for Buffalo Wild Wings to air.

That is simply not true. You are generally correct saying "sports bars" dont show all UFC PPV's, but then you managed to list the one chain of sports bars that does. It might not be on the main jumbo projection screen, and I might be stuck in a corner watching a TV set, but I can go to BWW for Mighty Mouse fights.

That is simply not true. You are generally correct saying "sports bars" dont show all UFC PPV's, but then you managed to list the one chain of sports bars that does. It might not be on the main jumbo projection screen, and I might be stuck in a corner watching a TV set, but I can go to BWW for Mighty Mouse fights.
The one that i visit hasent shown one in a long time.

The one that i visit hasent shown one in a long time.

Apparently I am lucky. I probably should have googled it before just confidently posting, but I just assumed all BWW's were similar to mine. Whoever owns my store must be a huge UFC fan or something.

Apparently I am lucky. I probably should have googled it before just confidently posting, but I just assumed all BWW's were similar to mine. Whoever owns my store must be a huge UFC fan or something.
The BWW's here usually have every UFC PPV. Hooters and some other sport bars don't subscribe to every PPV. You can go to this link and see which bars in your location have ordered an upcoming PPV:
https://bars.ufc.com/

So basically you are getting 30 UFC throughout the whole year for the price of 1 PPV.

If you are bitching about $5/month, you have some issues to worry about. Its $5/month. Are you fans of the UFC or not?

Cool, hope they stack those Espn cards like they (usually) did the fox cards.

This is basically the same deal they have with fox but now its with espn. I dont get all the bitching.

It's better because no need to fight pass which is more expensive than ESPN+. I would have liked less PPVs though. Most of them haven't been worth the price tag this year.

So basically you are getting 30 UFC throughout the whole year for the price of 1 PPV.

If you are bitching about $5/month, you have some issues to worry about. Its $5/month. Are you fans of the UFC or not?

Thats not quite true. ESPN+ will have the full card for 20 events. They will have the prelims for the 10 main cards that are on ESPN's TV channels though. (PPV prelims will be on TV)

This is going to go badly for UFC. Sure they will get their money which is important(the amount of money these networks are paying for shit like UFC and WWE are insane). But they will not get promoted. ESPN doesn’t care about shit except their gab fest “debate” shows and the NBA. How’s boxing doing? Terrible move. Should have tried to get on NBC. They have nothing outside the NFL

Why do people keep saying they get all 30 events on ESPN+??

I feel like 10 events on TV is a little light. The Fox deal has what, 4 on "big FOX" and 24 on FS1?

I'd like to see something like:

6 PPV
15 ESPN FN
12 ESPN+ FN
6 TNCS on ESPN+

That would make the overall number of events less, so hopefully better cards. The PPVs especially. Each one could have 2 title fights on it, and still have some title fights on cable But it would still be 2-3 events per month.

i read this sentence really, really wrong: "UFC Fight Night events consist of 12 bouts." (insert sheepish grin here)

Do you even Sherdog?

You're supposed to go on an angry, pointless rant. Don't forget to bring up the person's sexuality as well.

This is going to go badly for UFC. Sure they will get their money which is important(the amount of money these networks are paying for shit like UFC and WWE are insane). But they will not get promoted. ESPN doesn’t care about shit except their gab fest “debate” shows and the NBA. How’s boxing doing? Terrible move. Should have tried to get on NBC. They have nothing outside the NFL

#1) You act as if the UFC had other options, like they turned down some kind of massive offer from NBC. The alternatives may have been bad.

#2) For the kind of money ESPN is paying, of course they are going to promote the hell out of it. They already announced pre-and post-fight shows, new programming, they hired new MMA journalists, etc. For you to say they will not get promoted is just silly.

I’m not liking the part where I have to download some app and shit. Much easier to just flip to FS1.....but we’ll see

So long as most of the feature fights are on PPV, which is a model that has crashed into the rocks and rolled off a cliff, overall interest in the sport will continue to decline.

ESPN ratings and subscribers are in serious trouble. The UFC hasn't figured out how to attract new, young fans, and their core audience is out growing the product.

Long term something substantial has to change.

So long as most of the feature fights are on PPV, which is a model that has crashed into the rocks and rolled off a cliff, overall interest in the sport will continue to decline.

ESPN ratings and subscribers are in serious trouble. The UFC hasn't figured out how to attract new, young fans, and their core audience is out growing the product.

Long term something substantial has to change.

The sport with the largest percentage of millennial fans amongst their fanbase has trouble attracting young fans? If the UFC needs to be worried, then the NFL should be terrified.

Back