ESPN Rates Lomachenko Number One P4P Fighter

they did my boys dirty mang.
ESPN's P4P list is the one that I probably value the least next to BoxRec's. ESPN doesn't make their list easy to check in the first place. Their P4P list's URL is dynamic when it should be fixed for accessibility. They could also potentially decide to rank their own fighters (house fighters) higher if they wanted to show favoritism. The door is wide open for it to happen. They don't have as many panelists voting as the TBRB and BWAA do, either.

ESPN's P4P list is the one that I probably value the least next to BoxRec's. ESPN doesn't make their list easy to check in the first place. Their P4P list's URL is dynamic when it should be fixed for accessibility. They could also potentially decide to rank their own fighters (house fighters) higher if they wanted to show favoritism. The door is wide open for it to happen. They don't have as many panelists voting as the TBRB and BWAA do, either.
I mean, thats the same with Ring Magazine though and Goldenboy

they have valdez as a serious P4P contender lol

I mean, thats the same with Ring Magazine though and Goldenboy
Yes, the door has been wide open for them as well. I've talked about both before and their connections to fighters (as their promoters) and the networks themselves. What The Ring really wanted was Canelo rated P4P #1, obviously. So, they kept Golovkin rated #1 (no other major list, the four others, had GGG rated #1) hoping that Canelo would take his spot. However, Doug Fischer spoke up when Canelo tested positive for Clenbuterol and he was removed from their rankings altogether prior to the rematch. Canelo just reentered their rankings currently at the P4P #3 spot.
RATINGS UPDATE: CANELO ALVAREZ REGAINS RING MIDDLEWEIGHT TITLE, RE-ENTERS P4P RANKINGS

Last edited:
I don't think so. Alot of his wins are 'barely' wins. To be great you have to dominate the opposition, not get lucky points victories.

I guess Ali is not great then.

Roy Jones was great until he wasn't.

According to who? You don't get to decide certain wins are irrelevant.
Of course you do, it's the eyeball test. Crawford is rated highly because he has just marched through his opposition as much as the quality of his opponents. P4P has an element of perceived ability to it, not just achievements. You judge each win on how the boxer performed. That's why Deontay sometimes makes the P4P list because he certainly doesn't make it for the quality of his opposition.

P4P lists are not solely based on resumes
Exactly.
I guess Ali is not great then.

Roy Jones was great until he wasn't.
Of course Ali is great. He passes the eyeball test and he has some great wins against the best opposition, certainly better opposition than Canelo has faced.

And its the same reason that P4P RJJ is rated so highly. He doesn't have a plethora of great wins but his two best wins were very convincing against very good opposition.

Canelo has the best resume overall and a huge recent win. There's no question he gets the top spot IMO.

Sor Rungvisai deserves better. A 3-wins streak over former P4P number 1 Gonzalez and Estrada is a very impressive achievement.

Last edited:
Srisaket and Usyk at 8 and 9? Spence #5? AJ on the list? ooooffffff
How's AJ not worthy of being on the list? He's arguably the top heavyweight, has some good wins, good form and great power. Has knocked out all his competition except for Parker and if it counts (since it seems like it does for Loma), also a great amateur career, winning two gold medals. He's more worthy of being there than Spence IMO.

How's AJ not worthy of being on the list? He's arguably the top heavyweight, has some good wins, good form and great power. Has knocked out all his competition except for Parker and if it counts (since it seems like it does for Loma), also a great amateur career, winning two gold medals. He's more worthy of being there than Spence IMO.

Being the more or less consensus best fighter in maybe boxing's deepest division means more than what Joshua has amassed on a p4p list. Joshua at #10 isn't absurd, but I think several guys deserve to be ahead.

I mean, he's a very good fighter, but I don't see his accomplishments or skills as being particularly worthy when there are others who have done more. I don't have Spence on my list either, though he's making a case for himself.

Canelo has the best resume overall and a huge recent win. There's no question he gets the top spot IMO.

Sor Rungvisai deserves better. A 3-wins streak over former P4P number 1 Gonzalez and Estrada is a very impressive achievement.

Agreed 100%.

But to be honest for me personally, Loma and Canelo are the best boxers in boxing right now.

Loma, because his offensive skills and tricks makes him a fan friendly technician. With Canelo, very underrated P4P, showed he can do master defense and rope a dope, to completely abandon it out of pressure... that is the definition of a people’s champ. Canelo is imo, is one of boxing badass and complete fighters. His performance was too soo magical that even GGG detractors quit about 80% of the Clenelo tag lines. That’s real mysticism right there

Arguing off of quality of win, it's pretty much impossible to have Crawford over Canelo. I don't think it's unreasonable to say Crawford is a better fighter, and the fact he was lineal in two weight classes is impressive (Canelo has the same accolade), but Crawford's best win is probably Viktor Postol. Canelo has four wins better than Postol (Cotto, Trout, Lara, and Golovkin). The fights might have been close, but all of those wins were earned. I can see the argument for Lomachenko after he beat Linares as Linares was noticeably bigger and a half-decent champion (Canelo's resume is still far better on paper, but there is probably enough there, otherwise, to argue for Lomachenko), but it's hard to see the argument for Crawford at the moment.

As per usual, Sor Rungvisai is given the shit end of the stick.
I guess since I htink so highly of Crawford, I'll be the one to argue for him. Firstly, while it's true Crawford's resume is weak relative to SSR or Canelo, I think Crawford's resume is better than many are willing to give credit for. I'll start by saying that yes, Indongo, Diaz and many others look bad after they fight Crawford, but at the same time, Crawford took them all on when they were hot and he beat them all And he did it in a way which showed versatility and where he never really looked in trouble. Outboxing Postol the way he did really impressed me, and while I think Horn is mediocre, he was also supposed to be the bigger, stronger guy and Crawford beat him there too.

I'll say I apply more of the eye test than the others, but Crawford has passed every test so far with flying colors. Meanwhile, while Canelo has beaten some many name fighters, if you look at him post-Floyd, he's fought Lara, Cotto and GGG, with Lara and GGG 1 being fights that he could have (and in the case of GGG 1 should have) lost in my eyes. After that, we add in Khan, Smith, Kirkland, Angulo and JCC Jr., but none of those guys amount to much for me. 147 Khan would be impressive, but 160 Khan isn't anything to write home about, particularly given how chinny Khan is. Smith is ok but unmemorable. Kirkland, JCC Jr. and Angulo just straight up suck. If he beats Jermall, then he'll be #1 for me. I'm sold on Canelo now, but his post-Floyd resume seems to me to be a bunch of fighters who rank from shit to mediocre, then Lara, GGG and Cotto, and frankly, I wasn't hugely blown away by the Cotto win the way others were.

Lower. Who has he fought that sniffs the top 50 P4P?
Postol, Indongo, Gamboa. Maybe Horn.

I'll say this though, if you're running it entirely off of resume, then SSR and Canelo are the only viable options for the top 2. If SSR comes back and beats another SFlW titlist or something or Canelo comes back to beat a MW titlist, then it goes to that guy. Usyk would likely be third.

Ive been saying its Canelo and i think this win vindicates that.

At 28 he already has a storybook career with wins over great fighters or former great fighters and some with big names
Wins over Golovkin, Cotto, Trout, Lara, Mosley, Khan, Chavez Jr, and a young loss to Mayweather.
He'll be this generations most remembered fighter.

Meh, not to nitpick, but I wouldn't include punch drunk, slow AF Mosley or Lazy AF no discipline JCC Jr. on that list of accolades.

Lara, Cotto, GGG and Trout are legit wins however.

and I made a killing off Canelo to win ITD against Khan, so ...I guess that's a good win too.

Meh, not to nitpick, but I wouldn't include punch drunk, slow AF Mosley or Lazy AF no discipline JCC Jr. on that list of accolades.

Lara, Cotto, GGG and Trout are legit wins however.

and I made a killing off Canelo to win ITD against Khan, so ...I guess that's a good win too.
Their names still carry weight.

All in all, not a bad list...

Sor Rung deserves to be higher...

Lomachencko is okay and deserving to be # 1.

I have Canelo as a solid # 2 or # 3.

Back