Bradley
Ward
Canelo
Rigo
TC
Cotto

Voted by a panel of 10 members

Pretty solid list. I have no complaints

Remove Rigo's inactive, cherry picking, boring AF ass off this list. I would replace him with Danny Garcia.

Pretty solid list.

Pac is too high. Ward shouldn't be on there at all.

Remove Rigo's inactive, cherry picking, boring AF ass off this list. I would replace him with Danny Garcia.

Pretty solid list.

Wait, Rigo is a cherry picker? I don't think he should be on the list because of inactivity, but cherry picker? That's ridiculous. Anyway, I think Canelo should be ahead of Bradley. Kovalev ahead of GGG. Ward off the list due to inactivity. Inoue and Estrada could probably draw in.

ESPN is just following tradition. They've historically had terrible P4P lists. This list is no different.

Pac at 4th is simply laughable...

Since Marquez face planted him, he's beaten Rios, Bradley and Algieri and got washed against Floyd (10-2). How does that give him the no.4 spot? You get destroyed by Marquez and Mayweather, yet you maintain a top 5 spot?

Also Bradley shouldn't be anywhere near a P4P List let alone top 5.

Ward hasn't beaten anyone significant in a very long time, plus he's inactive.

Rigo at 8... I can't really argue against that because he hasn't been very active and he hasn't been fighting top guys. But skill wise easily the best. When fighters stop ducking him, and he starts getting more high profile opponents, he should easily take that top spot.

I'd take Bradley, Ward and Rigo off that list. Add Naoya Inoue and Danny G. despite the fact he hasn't look real impressive lately. He's still undefeated and has some good wins on his resume like the Khan KO and Matthysse.

ESPN is just following tradition. They've historically had terrible P4P lists. This list is no different.

Pac at 4th is simply laughable...

Since Marquez face planted him, he's beaten Rios, Bradley and Algieri and got washed against Floyd (10-2). How does that give him the no.4 spot? You get destroyed by Marquez and Mayweather, yet you maintain a top 5 spot?

Also Bradley shouldn't be anywhere near a P4P List let alone top 5.

Ward hasn't beaten anyone significant in a very long time, plus he's inactive.

Rigo at 8... I can't really argue against that because he hasn't been very active and he hasn't been fighting top guys. But skill wise easily the best. When fighters stop ducking him, and he starts getting more high profile opponents, he should easily take that top spot.

Wow..you and Dejulez are really going at it for worst poster of 2016 already!

Wait, Rigo is a cherry picker? I don't think he should be on the list because of inactivity, but cherry picker? That's ridiculous. Anyway, I think Canelo should be ahead of Bradley. Kovalev ahead of GGG. Ward off the list due to inactivity. Inoue and Estrada could probably draw in.

Cherry picker may have been a little harsh...but who has been his last prominent opponent?
Donaire. How long ago was that?

I know there are some that will say he is "ducked" and avoided.

Flip Kovalev and GGG. Take off Ward and Rigo, replace them somebody who has at least been active. The other guys can be shifted, but all deserve to be on the list.

Cherry picker may have been a little harsh...but who has been his last prominent opponent?

Anybody still saying that is being intentionally oblivious. He has been given great offer after great offer, and refused them.

I posted an article about it once when everybody was claiming he's basically blacklisted, and everyone just kinda disappeared from the thread lol

Flip Kovalev and GGG. Take off Ward and Rigo, replace them somebody who has at least been active. The other guys can be shifted, but all deserve to be on the list.

Anybody still saying that is being intentionally oblivious. He has been given great offer after great offer, and refused them.

I posted an article about it once when everybody was claiming he's basically blacklisted, and everyone just kinda disappeared from the thread lol

it's a bullshit claim...

and nothing excuses his lackluster, shit sparring session performance on the undercard of the canelo/cotto fight.

Given a golden opportunity to prove a point, make a point, get noticed...and that's what you deliver?
LOL

Fuck Rigo...and his fan boys.

I mean, he rather blatantly has been. He's been clearly the man in the division for almost three years and not a single elite fighter in his division has showed much of any willingness to fight him. "Cherry picker" isn't a harsh description so much as it is a ridiculous description.

I mean, he rather blatantly has been. He's been clearly the man in the division for almost three years and not a single elite fighter in his division has showed much of any willingness to fight him. "Cherry picker" isn't a harsh description so much as it is a ridiculous description.

Rigo has had several offers that would pay him huge sums of money for only a few fights, and he refused and remained inactive.

By doing that, he has become a mostly unknown fighter. If you ask 100 people on the street if they know who he is, And set the over/under at 1, I would take the under.

He is no victim. If he actually fought, he'd bring more money to the table, and he'd have guys lining up a mile long to fight him, just like every semi-marketable champion. I would not use the words ducked and avoided, I'd use the word ignored. He deserves to be ignored until he becomes an active champion.

Sorry, which great offers? When did Santa Cruz, Mares, Frampton, or Quigg (some of the top SBWs over the last 3-4 years) ever show any genuine interest in getting in the ring with him? Are you referring to the the #1 FW in the world who outweighs him by at least 10 pounds being willing to negotiate a fight with him at FW (and, as we've gone through, the terms to those negotiations are murky to say the least)? I mean, if that's the case, we shouldn't be calling Gennady Golovkin a ducked fighter because even though several MWs have clearly avoided him (just as several SBWs have undoubtedly avoided Rigo), Golovkin showed little interest in fighting the man at SMW even though he was open to negotiate (and the weight difference between Golovkin and Ward is smaller than the weight difference between Rigo and Lomachenko). That's not to say that Rigo hasn't priced himself out of promotional deals and so on, but why are we deciding to overlook the fact that the top SBWs haven't wanted anything to do with Rigo when it seems to the favourite past time of boxing fans to bitch about the same thing in other divisions? Seems like a double standard.

it's a bullshit claim...

and nothing excuses his lackluster, shit sparring session performance on the undercard of the canelo/cotto fight.

Given a golden opportunity to prove a point, make a point, get noticed...and that's what you deliver?
LOL

Fuck Rigo...and his fan boys.

lol, I can't think of any reason to bear any genuine antipathy to Rigo even if you think a couple of fights were boring. Aren't you someone that complains about fighter bashing a lot? That is unless you're still bitter that he schooled Donaire, which is probably the case.

Sorry, which great offers? When did Santa Cruz, Mares, Frampton, or Quigg (some of the top SBWs over the last 3-4 years) ever show any genuine interest in getting in the ring with him? Are you referring to the the #1 FW in the world who outweighs him by at least 10 pounds being willing to negotiate a fight with him at FW (and, as we've gone through, the terms to those negotiations are murky to say the least)? I mean, if that's the case, we shouldn't be calling Gennady Golovkin a ducked fighter because even though several MWs have clearly avoided him (just as several SBWs have undoubtedly avoided Rigo), Golovkin showed little interest in fighting the man at SMW even though he was open to negotiate (and the weight difference between Golovkin and Ward is smaller than the weight difference between Rigo and Lomachenko). That's not to say that Rigo hasn't priced himself out of promotional deals and so on, but why are we deciding to overlook the fact that the top SBWs haven't wanted anything to do with Rigo when it seems to the favourite past time of boxing fans to bitch about the same thing in other divisions? Seems like a double standard.

http://www.badlefthook.com/2015/11/...ndeaux-complicit-in-destroying-his-own-career

Manager Gary Hyde says he felt bad hearing the news that the WBO decided to strip Guillermo Rigondeaux of his world title belt, but he also faults both Rigondeaux and the people around him for putting him in this position. Hyde had been Rigondeaux's manager for a number of years, but the two appeared to have something of a falling out, with Rigondeaux opting to wait for his contract with Hyde to expire rather that to take some fights.

Considering that Rigondeaux isn't exactly in high demand -- being the ultimate high-risk/low-reward fighter -- passing on fights when very few were willing while also not having any network backing isn't exactly a recipe for success.

"It saddens me to hear that Rigondeaux has been stripped of his WBO world title and on hearing that the WBA are also considering stripping him," Hyde told Michael Woods of Ring Magazine. "Rigondeaux has worked his whole career to become the best fighter in the world. He was successful in doing this, winning two belts (as well as the RING championship), but he has surrounded himself with people who have ruined his career. No promoter or manager would touch Rigo with a 10-foot pole because these people are too difficult to deal with and they put hurdle after hurdle in front of every opportunity offered to Rigo. This is a nightmare situation for one of the best fighters in the world."

Rigondeaux is indeed one of the very best fighters in the world, but hardly anyone would fault you for not knowing that since the Cuban defector has fought only fifteen times in a seven year career. It also seems pretty clear that the "people" who have ruined Rigondeaux's career, as Hyde puts it, is a thinly-veiled shot at Caribe Promotions, a small-time company who scarcely even have a website. But Hyde doesn't absolve the fighter himself from responsibility.

"Rigo has to take some of the blame for destroying his own career," he said. "He has refused many multi-million dollar opportunities I offered to him over the last couple of years. He needs to get rid of these reptiles and get fighting again because not only will he lose his world titles outside of the ring he will also be forgotten."

As a sad matter of fact, Rigondeaux, now 35 years old, could well turn out to be one of the very best fighters of this generation who might soon fade from the memories of even dedicated fans, disappearing as quickly as he arrived on the scene -- all without so much as a whimper.

"Frank Warren wanted to pay $1.8 for three bouts in year one of a contract, plus three bouts at $700,000 per in the second year of a deal. Again, no OK from Rigo. Plus, Rigo would have netted more if he fought 19-0 Irishman Carl Frampton, and the gate would have reflected some 60,000 butts in seats, quite possibly. It leaves Hyde chagrined, he admitted. He's tried, he said, to convince the Cuban that these deals aren't chicken feed, but the boxer still isn't coming to the table."

lol, I can't think of any reason to bear any genuine antipathy to Rigo even if you think a couple of fights were boring.
His refusal to be an active champion is off-putting. His whiny fans who refuse to see that he's ruined his own career are off-putting. His arrogance to believe he's worth more than the millions he's been offered is also pretty bad, considering he's clearly not and it makes his fans complain more.

The better question, is what is sympathetic about him at this point? He's a primadonna and brings nothing fun to the sport. I would prefer he goes away so we don't have to waste time talking about what he could have been if he had the work ethic to earn it.

Back