ESPN is Dying

Pitier of Fools

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I know that the "UFC is dying, Bro" this is kind of a running joke on Sherdog, but the fact is that ESPN is dying...which makes me wonder how ESPN's deal with the UFC will end up affecting the UFC.

First, here are some sources from 2017 that detail ESPN's financial trouble:
https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-04-28/espn-can-t-afford-to-go-on-like-this

http://www.businessinsider.com/espns-layoffs-spell-trouble-for-live-sports-2017-3

https://www.fastcompany.com/4030219...e-for-espn-and-the-cable-bundle-as-we-know-it

And here's an article from last month with a pessimistic outlook of ESPN+:

https://www.zacks.com/stock/news/299355/should-disney-investors-worry-as-espn-plus-underwhelms

Now it would appear this deal with the UFC is a last-ditch effort by ESPN to salvage what's left of its business in the face of declining viewership and ad revenue. I'm not sure how wise it is for the UFC to put all of its eggs in this basket.

I can’t wait till they use Stephen A Smith for the postfight shows, and use Skip Payless for the prefight PPV shows.

Absolute garbage.

I can’t wait till they use Stephen A Smith for the postfight shows, and use Skip Payless for the prefight PPV shows.

Absolute garbage.

Skippy the clown is no longer on ESPN with Stevo the loudmouth.

the UFC is a last-ditch effort by ESPN to salvage what's left of its business in the face of declining viewership and ad revenue.
really? "last-ditch effort"? that's your takeaway after reading all about this topic?

yes, cord cutting is real. yes, 10 and 5 years ago everyone thought live sports was the one thing that might save cord cutting, and 2 and 1 years ago people are less sure of that.

but can you find a reasonable middle ground between "ESPN will take over the world" and "ESPN is dying, and this one deal is their last ditch effort before bankruptcy"?

here's a hint; UFC isn't as big as soccer, and they aren't dying. similarly, ESPN isn't as strong as they've ever been, but they're also not seconds away from bankruptcy, and this isn't a last ditch effort of anything.

Last edited:
really? "last-ditch effort"? that's your takeaway after reading all about this topic?

yes, cord cutting is real. yes, 10 and 5 years ago everyone thought live sports was the one thing that might save cord cutting, and 2 and 1 years ago people are less sure of that.

but can you find a reasonable middle ground between "ESPN will take over the world" and "ESPN is dying, and this one deal is their last ditch effort before bankruptcy"?

here's a hint; UFC isn't as big as soccer, and they aren't dying. similarly, ESPN isn't as strong as they've ever been, but they're also not seconds away from bankruptcy, and this isn't a last ditch effort of anything.

It is amazing how far some go to be negative lol

Fox was never Dana’s friend

LOL, fast step forward from ESPN buying UFC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cord-cutting

"In broadcast television, cord-cutting refers to the pattern of viewers, referred to as cord cutters, cancelling their subscriptions to multichannel subscription television services available over cable, dropping pay television channels or reducing the number of hours of subscription TV viewed in response to competition from rival media available over the Internet such as Amazon Video, Hulu, iTunes, Netflix, Sling TV, and YouTube."

t0xWON3.gif

New term learned.

It is amazing how far some go to be negative lol
i recently heard someone say on a podcast "President Trump doesn't have the capacity or subtlety to champion a policy that he cannot explain in a 280 character tweet". but we already knew that he is merely the real life manifestation of an internet comments section.

so i know most of the internet lacks capacity and/or subtlety. but i still find myself surprised.

and BTW, before people call me a commie, the podcast was conservative. specifically, Bill Kristol's 'The Daily Standard'.

Last edited:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cord-cutting

"In broadcast television, cord-cutting refers to the pattern of viewers, referred to as cord cutters, cancelling their subscriptions to multichannel subscription television services available over cable, dropping pay television channels or reducing the number of hours of subscription TV viewed in response to competition from rival media available over the Internet such as Amazon Video, Hulu, iTunes, Netflix, Sling TV, and YouTube."

t0xWON3.gif

New term learned.

Really?

It's cool not getting a ridiculous bill every month when you only watch ~10% of the channels you pay for.

Really?

It's cool not getting a ridiculous bill every month when you only watch ~10% of the channels you pay for.

it turns out that 110 of those 120 channels you pay for and don't watch cost Comcast almost nothing. but when providers tested 'a la carte' approaches and customers find out that the 10 channels they actually want cost 90% of their bill, they just get even more pissed off.

so no one saved money and customers got even more angry. so cable companies didn't move forward with it.

i found that interesting. one of those "be careful what you wish for" deals :) cheers.

PS. btw that was from over 10 years ago. today with technology and apps, pricing has changed. Apps changed everything. HBO, Netflix and ESPN+ will cost $22. YouTube Live costs $40. but for most people, a $59 cable bill is still a perfectly fine way to go.

<mma4>

This is totally true. It is also more than any network besides premiums like HBO. It is in real trouble. Disney is keeping it afloat.

5a29a145a3b47410148b4671-750-563.png

58bedeebd7e1be36098b48e5-750-563.png

network-costs.png

29993935-14486500120591962-Evan-Buck.jpg

CableChartsFinalWrap.png

Absolute garbage.

Skip has been on Fox Sports for years now. ESPN can't afford him.

lol

Back