escaping the high full mount in MMA question

MMouse

Now you enter...the shredder
Banned
Reaction score
In MMA with strikes in involved, when your opponent successfully get's the high full mount. Is there any way to escape? Or it's just a matter of preventing from yourself there in the first place?

For example here Machida vs Shogun 2

0:21

Thanks in advance

Yes there is a way to escape. The better the guy on top the harder it is going to be. May have to try to give up your back for a second and then turn back the other way.

Putting your feet in their armpits a la Anderson Silva vs. Travis Lutter can work. Failing that I tend to give my back for a second and try to turn back into deep half on their first hook.

Knee him in the butt so he posts his hands on the ground and then do the good old elbow escape.

Easier said than done, but it's the only technical escape from that position, the other options are hail maries.

Good answers. Aside from anderson silva, lutter. Are there videos or fights that have good example of escaping the high full mount?

Good answers. Aside from anderson silva, lutter. Are there videos or fights that have good example of escaping the high full mount?
There isn't a safe high percentage escape from the high full mount, it's like escaping a back mount being flattened, you don't want to be in that position, ever.
Instead of being worried escaping the worse position possible you should be able to prevent it, don't let the opponent get his knees under your armpits, simply have your elbows close to your body.

This video is pretty much everything you need to know how to escape the mount in mma.

I remember Felipe Arantes reversing position against Godofredo Pepey using the feet under the armpits/torso escape that was mentioned before and finishing the fight seconds after, but that is not very high percentage and doesn't work well if you are not flexible and the opponent is not standing high.

86m3YoY.mp4

Last edited:
thanks a bunch^^^

Sounds like a place you don't want to even get to but if there the only thing you can really do is walk your shoulders back while you do your best to cover your face. You have to get back to a normal mount before you can even try escapes.

Related to the armpit escape, but more offensive.

This is my first instinct and I think it's the most ideal for MMA. Way better than the feet in armpits.

It forces your opponent to stop punching. It takes them off balance. It gives you a way back to your feet. My advice would just be to not over commit to the heel hook. If it's not there, do your tech stand up and gtfo of there.

No problem, and if you compete in mma get your Hokuto Shinken on point!
Too deadly to compete. Touchbutt and people explode.

Nanto is banned due to eye stabbin' and projectiles

i learned a pendulum escape from braulio (saw him do it to his brother in training). works a treat

A good hip bump and turning to your back and or creating a scramble is the most common defense.

Back