Escaping from Side Control When They Block You From Completing the Shrimp is Annoying. Do This...

Going to rewatch this every time I come home from a demoralizing roll in which I get stuck in side control. I really like the monkey bars analogy. Your videos are so good, thank you!!!

Going to rewatch this every time I come home from a demoralizing roll in which I get stuck in side control. I really like the monkey bars analogy. Your videos are so good, thank you!!!

Hope it helps! thanks a lot! :D i use that analogy so much in my gym i'm sure my students are sick of hearing about it hahaha

Is this really a huge issue? I mean getting to the position at :33 is the hard part of escaping side control. Once you've got that nearside knee in, the hard work is over.

Is this really a huge issue? I mean getting to the position at :33 is the hard part of escaping side control. Once you've got that nearside knee in, the hard work is over.

i think so, i see a lot of people get that far and then get re-passed back into side control because they can't free the bottom leg

I was drilling this escape over the weekend and a question came up. What if I can only get my foot on the person's head, would pushing off my partner's head with my foot be allowed in competition?

i think so, i see a lot of people get that far and then get re-passed back into side control because they can't free the bottom leg

Semantics, but if they're getting "re-passed," then by definition they've achieved a guard (what is getting passed), and have therefore escaped side control.

To be normal, I see your point that it's an oft encountered response to this particular situation. But if you've gotten to that phase of problems, you've won the moral victory of escaping side control.

I was drilling this escape over the weekend and a question came up. What if I can only get my foot on the person's head, would pushing off my partner's head with my foot be allowed in competition?

i reckon so

Semantics, but if they're getting "re-passed," then by definition they've achieved a guard (what is getting passed), and have therefore escaped side control.

To be normal, I see your point that it's an oft encountered response to this particular situation. But if you've gotten to that phase of problems, you've won the moral victory of escaping side control.

well, i use re-passed in a loose sense in terms of the rules. However, personally i would not consider just getting your shin in alone to have concluded an escape because your options are still incredibly limited in that position

Back