Equipment Review: Zebra Home Training Roll Out Mat

slideyfoot

Artemis BJJ Co-Founder
@Green
Reaction score
For reference, I'm 5'7 and about 66kg. Clearly I don't make a very good mat model, but that should at least give you some idea of the mat proportions.

Zebra%2BHome%2BTraining%2BRoll%2BOut%2BMat.JPG

Zebra%2BHome%2BTraining%2BRoll%2BOut%2BMat%252C%2BRolling%2BOut.jpg

Zebra%2BHome%2BTraining%2BRoll%2BOut%2BMat%252C%2BRolled%2BOut.jpg

Short Review: The Zebra Home Training mat (5 x 10 feet and 3.5cm thick) is light and easy to transport, with enough padding to safely practice BJJ, though I'm not sure I'd recommend using it for heavy takedowns. The mat is quick to set up, as it rolls out for immediate use. Storage in the attic would work (if you are sure the 45cm circumference roll will fit through your hatch), but otherwise you would need a space at least five feet high to store them regularly. To spar on these comfortably you would want at least two, but for drilling and light sparring, one is good enough. There is no fastening system: to secure two or more together you have to use tape.

Full review, with more pics here.

I have never used Zebra, yet, all of the Swain/Dollamur roll-up mats end deformed at the edges (not laying flat) after repeated transportation. Have you had any trouble with this?

I have never used Zebra, yet, all of the Swain/Dollamur roll-up mats end deformed at the edges (not laying flat) after repeated transportation. Have you had any trouble with this?

The sample I was shown at the shop did do that, at the far edge lengthways, rising up a little after being rolled out. It was slight, but noticeable. However, I didn't notice the same problem on the one I had, but then unlike the sample, that hasn't been travelling around to various trade shows.

If it did, I imagine it wouldn't be a major issue for me, because it would be right at the top. The main time where I could see it being a problem is if you had several mats and you wanted more than 10 feet, so laid them end to end. That rising edge would then have to be taped down, as it would otherwise (I assume, as I haven't been able to test this) be a tripping hazard.

It's worth noting that there is also a commercial version of this mat (the Zebra product blurb says clearly this one is only meant for home use, though I imagine you could use it for a small club that didn't need much space), where I would guess they would roll out further than 10 feet to avoid that rising edge becoming a problem. But again, I'm guessing.

Your choice in t shirts really sucks

Nice review and I have one quick question for you Mr. Lennon. What was it like working with Ringo Starr? :)

Back