Equipment for longevity

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by theranch, Nov 1, 2017.

1. theranch White Belt

theranch
    Made a thread recently about gloves for the best hand protection and ended up buying a set of Winnings which im very happy with. But I've been involved in the assistant coaching side of things for a few years and starting to make some money and look at career options so i was wondering if anyone knows good gear for looking after your joints at a decent price?

2. deh707 Orange Belt

deh707
    For even more hand protection, you can always add the Winning NG2 knuckle guards to go along with your Winning gloves.

That's about as protective as you could get.

theranch likes this.
  3. Ryyonvin Orange Belt

Ryyonvin
    I've heard hitting an aqua bag over a conventional bag is easier on your joints. Can't attest to this first hand though. From a diet perspective it's important to have Omega 3's, calcium, Vitamin D and Turmeric as these can all help keep your joints healthy.

theranch likes this.
  4. theranch White Belt

theranch
    Owner of our gym has become a convert to the Aqua bag trend so will get the chance to try one out soon. Thanks for the supplement advice. Looking to prolong my career in combat sports as well as i can.

Ryyonvin likes this.
  5. StRatoCastR Gear Tester/Reviewer

StRatoCastR
    I always hated how the aqua bags felt and rebounded. Felt like hitting a water balloon, and feels... off. I much prefer the old style High quality heavy bag. Out slayer makes a pretty good one for those on a budget.

6. theranch White Belt

theranch
    They do indeed feel a little like hitting a giant rubber dog ball. But so far my poor sore hands haven't been as banged up after using them. Although that has also coincided with switching from pretty poor quality gloves to Winnings.....

7. OkieHitMan White Belt

OkieHitMan
    ringside soft fill for the win....traditional bags are hard. Don't have to be ringside soft fill could be outslayer or another brand. However, glove protection is only the start..I am 40 now. Still work the bags for exercise and to keep myself defense ready if need be. My hands really thanked me with the soft fill bags. I to don't care much for the aqua bags..because I don't like to bounce off a bag when I hit it. Feels like punching one of those red balls you used to play handball with as a kid.

theranch likes this.
  8. StRatoCastR Gear Tester/Reviewer

StRatoCastR
    Yes okie hitman is correct soft fill bags are the way to go if u are having discomfort.

I do believe the cheaper bags are very hard and tend to settle causing it to feel and look like a bag filled with cement.

High quality bags will not suffer from the diaper droop look

theranch and OkieHitMan like this.
  9. theranch White Belt

theranch
    Unfortunately i don't have much control over the bags used at the gym, i can make the suggestion though thanks for the info. So in the meantime i will continue the hunt for the most protective gloves, handwraps, focus mitts and the like.

10. StRatoCastR Gear Tester/Reviewer

StRatoCastR
    Welll lucky for you that hunt can be cut very short. There is a library of reviews on sherdog on a TON of brands on the equipment you listed. Money will be the main issue

theranch likes this.
  11. theranch White Belt

theranch
    It always is unfortunately. But it's the balance of cost Vs protection and longevity. As you say I'll take a look at some of the reviews.

12. magicrat Yellow Belt

magicrat
    Yes u can hit an aqua bag at 100% force without injury....... it gives and bounces a little bit when you hit it

13. sage14 White Belt

sage14
    My personal experience tells me that correct technique and not overdoing it while hitting the bag but also when holding the pads...

Also listen to your body if you have aching or painful joints, rest and train around it- instead of throwing countless heavy shots, then focus on things that will not contribute to the pain, like focus on form, speed, etc while hitting(or holding them) the bags/mitts/pads.... Plan your coaching wisely - if you have lets say alot of students(that all hit hard)in one day, it would not be smart to focus on power shots with all of the students.... I have learnt the hard way that it can contribute to longer restitution periods.

Regarding diet and supplements, follow a healthy diet which is anti-inflammatory.

Mikkel Kessler one of the best supermiddleweights in boxing in recent times, was about to quit boxing on the height of his career because of body conditions that was worsened by inflammation, until one day where he got advice from a physiotherpist who became his personal fitnesstrainer. The advice was to quit inflammtion promoting foods and nutrients like sugar and higly processed foods. After he quit the goods his condition improved.

Regarding choice of gear- chose gear that has good shocking dispersing qualities. Winning gloves are the way to go when punching. Good wrapping technique is also important. Get som good mitts that will take the blows from the heavyhitters. Get some high quality air mitts there is a reason that you see most heavyweights hitting larger focus mitts with thicker padding.

Good luck mate.

theranch and Ryyonvin like this.
  14. theranch White Belt

theranch
    Thanks for the advice i'll keep it in mind. I do my best to to mix up what tools and techniques i do when helping coach people as i apparently live in a land of giants and well over half our members are heavyweights which is great fun as a Welterweight sized pad holder. That's interesting the more i read about sugar and inflammation the more i think it must be the key. i'll take a look at some good quality air mitts, do you have any experience with different brands?

15. Ryyonvin Orange Belt

Ryyonvin
    I use Ringside air mitts and they hold up well when the heavy hitters throw their shots. They typically go on sale so I recommend them if you're on a budget.

theranch likes this.
  16. theranch White Belt

theranch
    Black friday around the corner so they definitely sound worth a look

17. CJ1 White Belt

CJ1
    Thanks for a good topic for discussion. From my experience, Winning CM-50 (which is their soft type mitt) works extremely well from a puncher's perspective, and I trust the feeder/holder feels just the same way, but be mindful that Winning quality usually demands Winning prices.

I had a chance to try Title's air mitts after using the Winning's (with the same holder, who by the way likes to call for power shots) but was sadly disappointed after 2 rounds and quickly went back to using the Winning's during the same session, and believe me, there was a significant difference (to say the least) in terms of protection.

Re. Aqua bags, they have less of a rebound effect and seem to be softer by not using as much water (too much water, and it can be just as bad as some of the hardest heavy bags IMO).

Hope this helps provide a little more helpful information to the issue being discussed.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017 at 8:19 PM
    theranch likes this.
  18. theranch White Belt

theranch
    Yeah i would love a set of CM-50's but as you say Winning quality calls for Winning prices. That's disappointing to hear about the Title mitts. Thanks for the info about the aqua bags that's definitely something to play around with.

CJ1 likes this.