Encompassing Athleticism and Fighting

Cardio:
- 30 min bike LISS - 13km
- Shadowboxing

Misc:
- Quick mobility warmup
- Prone leg curls with plantar flexion
8x10kg, 8x10kg, 8x10kg
- Supine clamshells with band (unilateral)
- Sidelying clamshells with band
- Squats with bands and pause + kickback for medius
- Sidestepping with band
- Psoas March with bands (controlled eccentric)

BW:
- Beginner shrimps (2nd): 5 reps each leg
- Chinups: 6-7 reps
- Diamond pushups (2nd): 6 reps
- Hanging straight leg raises (2nd): 8 reps
- Diamond pike pushups (2nd): 7 reps
- Inverted rows: 8 reps
x3 sets

Went training today with a classmate. I just got some decent shoes for squatting for the first time in my life lol. I've thrown my Nike Free's out because they are wrecked. I have only squatted like twice in the last 8 weeks so I didn't know what to expect at all. Decided I wanted to try the shoes today and see where my level is at. They felt a little wonky at first, but better as the weight got heavier. Anyway!

Cardio:
- 30 min bike LISS - 13km

PL/Weightlifting:
- Squat -
- Bar
- 10x60kg
- 6x90kg
- 5x110kg
- 1x120kg
- 1x130kg
- 1x140kg
- 1x145kg

I was very surprised that I repeated my PR from about 2 months ago. It was tough, but still. Guess I haven't lost any strength eventhough I haven't worked on it at all. That's neat! One thing though, I'm going to have terrible DOMS for days lol. Whenever I don't squat for a while and squat heavy I'm toast. Oh well.

BW:
- Chinups: 6 reps
- Diamond pushups (2nd): 7 reps
x1 set

Misc:

- Shadowboxing
- Some bagwork drills
- Some partnered shadowboxing
- Pushups and a few chinups

Squat 145kg:

Some crisp work:

Someone working out hard in the background lol.

Last edited:
Cardio:
- 30 min bike LISS - 12km

BW:
- Beginner shrimps: 5 reps
- Chinups: 7 reps
- Diamond pushups (2nd): 8 reps
x3 set

Misc:

- Mobility drills
- Prone leg curls 3x8 at 10 kg
- A few activation drills for glutes
- Walking A/B skips
- A skips
- Boxing drills
- Shadowboxing
- Bagwork

First time trying out skips so I'm like bambi on ice.

I was a little bored so I decided to record the exercises and make this little compilation haha:

Went training today before going to the movies. I haven't deadlifted at all in at least 6 months, but wanted to see where it's at just for fun today.

Cardio:
- 30 min bike LISS - 12km

PL/Weightlifting:
- Deadlift -
- Bar
- 10x70kg
- 5x110kg
- 1x110kg
- 1x110kg
- 1x140kg
- 1x140kg
- 1x160kg
- 1x180kg PR

Sooo, that was a little funny lol. Haven't touched DL in I don't know how long and pulled more than I ever have. Not by much, but still. Huh. I felt like I had more in me, but I felt it in the lower back too, so I took the small PR and stopped there. Form is rusty.

BW:
- Beginner shrimps (2nd): 5 reps
- Chinups: 7 reps
- Half rep dips (2nd): 4
- Diamond pike pushups (2nd): 8 reps
- One leg elevated Inverted rows (2nd): 4 reps
- Side plank 30 sec each
x3 set

Misc:

- Mobility warmup
- Light shadowboxing
- Ankle and shoulder band rehab/prehab
- Walking A skips
- 1x5 CMJ

Here's a few vids of the deadlifting.

140kg:

160kg:

180kg:

Last edited:
I'm not trying to be a dick, but I'm also not going to beat around the bush...

Your squat is a mile high and your deadlift form is likely to get you injured.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but I'm also not going to beat around the bush...

Your squat is a mile high and your deadlift form is likely to get you injured.
True on both accounts. The squat a few posts ago was high. I also haven't deadlifted in about 7 months, and haven't trained them regularly for over a year, so my form is rusty as hell. Never was any good at it to begin with. Just wanted to see where my max was at. Feel free to give helpful advice.

These squats a few months ago were better. As long as I'm hitting about 90 degrees, that's where I want to be.

Squat 130kg:

Squat 145kg:

Cardio:
- 20 min bike LISS - Had to hurry to the rack because there were a few people who wanted to use it.

PL/Weightlifting:
- Romanian DL -
- Bar
- 10x60kg
- 8x60kg
- Deadlift -
- 5x110kg
- 5x110kg
- 3x130kg
- 3x130kg

Bar was slipping out of my hands. My grip strength is shit atm apparently. I have a hard time using my glutes and hamstrings on the DL, so I think I'll keep doing some Romanians for a while with slowed eccentric and isometric pauses. It felt like I got a lot more glute activation. I use my back naturally on DLs.

BW:
- Beginner shrimps (2nd): 6 reps each side
- Chinups: 6-7 reps
- One arm elevated pushups (3d): 4 reps each side (these were a bitch)
- Hanging straight leg raises (2nd): 5 reps (trying to get legs further up before next progression)
- Decline pike pushups (3d): 4 reps
- One leg elevated Inverted rows (2nd): 5 reps
- Side plank (2nd): 30 sec each
x3 set

Misc:

- Mobility warmup
- Light shadowboxing
- Band work for posture and external rotation (helps my neck actually and helps me activiate serratus and trap 3)

Feel free to give helpful advice.
That's not a very good angle if you want a form check, but the most important thing is to keep your lower back in a neutral position. Even at the lighter weights, you're not even setting up that way, so that's where you need to start. Focus on that and review video of it (directly from the side, if possible) to be sure of what you're doing. Start with your lightest warmup sets and video everything and see at what point (if at all) your form then breaks down. Once you're able to do your working sets with a neutral lower back, you should post another video and get some feedback on what tweak in order to optimize your pull for your leverages.
These squats a few months ago were better. As long as I'm hitting about 90 degrees, that's where I want to be.
Obviously, it's up to you on how deep you want to squat, but the crease of your hip below the top of your knee is the standard minimum depth. You're above that.

That's not a very good angle if you want a form check, but the most important thing is to keep your lower back in a neutral position. Even at the lighter weights, you're not even setting up that way, so that's where you need to start. Focus on that and review video of it (directly from the side, if possible) to be sure of what you're doing. Start with your lightest warmup sets and video everything and see at what point (if at all) your form then breaks down. Once you're able to do your working sets with a neutral lower back, you should post another video and get some feedback on what tweak in order to optimize your pull for your leverages.

Obviously, it's up to you on how deep you want to squat, but the crease of your hip below the top of your knee is the standard minimum depth. You're above that.
That's the thing, I have tried recording and setting it up. My hip flexion is pretty bad and I can't get into a proper starting position with my lower back completely neutral. Sure it can improve, and has improved, but I don't know if I can ever get rid of it. Doesn't seem like I'm build for it. The funny thing is, that if I pull sumo I have no trouble keeping my lower back neutral at all, as my hips are opened up and it frees some range of motion. I'd much rather pull conventional though. I'll keep working on it, if it doesn't happen for me then I might have to switch to sumo/semi sumo permanently. I'll be working in some Romanians for a while and see if it helps.

In regards to the squats, meh. I really don't care. I don't have the ROM to bouncy in the hole and I really don't want to either. As long as I hit about parallel with my 90-100% reps I'm fine. I've tried forcing myself lower with that weight and I start getting pain. I'd much rather be tight during the whole movement.

Last edited:
That's the thing, I have tried recording and setting it up. My hip flexion is pretty bad and I can't get into a proper starting position with my lower back completely neutral. Sure it can improve, and has improved, but I don't know if I can ever get rid of it. Doesn't seem like I'm build for it. The funny thing is, that if I pull sumo I have no trouble keeping my lower back neutral at all, as my hips are opened up and it frees some range of motion. I'd much rather pull conventional though.
If that's the case, I would either pull off blocks or stick to sumo.

I can see no advantage in pulling off the floor with lower-back flexion.

That's the thing, I have tried recording and setting it up. My hip flexion is pretty bad and I can't get into a proper starting position with my lower back completely neutral. Sure it can improve, and has improved, but I don't know if I can ever get rid of it. Doesn't seem like I'm build for it. The funny thing is, that if I pull sumo I have no trouble keeping my lower back neutral at all, as my hips are opened up and it frees some range of motion. I'd much rather pull conventional though. I'll keep working on it, if it doesn't happen for me then I might have to switch to sumo/semi sumo permanently. I'll be working in some Romanians for a while and see if it helps.

I agree that you don't look like you're built to deadlift, but I'd be really surprised if it was actually hip flexion that's keeping you from getting into position.

How is your hamstring flexibility? I think that would be more likely to be the problem, and is likely coupled with a lack of ability (body awareness) to properly fire your spinal erectors to hold things in place.

I'm certainly no expert though, so hopefully someone (Miaou?) will chime in if I'm off base.

If that's the case, I would either pull off blocks or stick to sumo.

I can see no advantage in pulling off the floor with lower-back flexion.
Yeah I know what you mean. I'm being stubborn. I'll keep and eye on it, see if I can fix it, and if not I'll switch to semi sumo or rack/block pull.

I agree that you don't look like you're built to deadlift, but I'd be really surprised if it was actually hip flexion that's keeping you from getting into position.

How is your hamstring flexibility? I think that would be more likely to be the problem, and is likely coupled with a lack of ability (body awareness) to properly fire your spinal erectors to hold things in place.

I'm certainly no expert though, so hopefully someone (Miaou?) will chime in if I'm off base.
It's not my hamstrings. Surprisingly I have excellent hamstring flexibility, I can touch the ground with palms flat in front of me (never stretched them). I highly doubt hamstrings would pull my pelvis down like that even if they were tight though. Hip extension is also quite good. However, my hips are stiff, and my internal rotation, abduction and flexion is poor/very poor. I can't remember the degrees, but I've been measured a few times during class and it's terrible. Feels like a hard endrange/bone contact on flexion too, or so I've been told.

I have been working on it for some time and I'm not sure it's a soft tissue issue. It's either capsular from inactivity/pain (been struggling with SI joint and anterior hip pain for some years, although it's almost gone now), or structural most likely. Everything points to me having retroverted hips, but I can't say for sure.

Anyway, I'll keep working on it, and it has gotten better. Thanks for the input!

@Sano You can also try trap bar deadlifts. It's been helping me in regards to a similar issue i had the last time i pulled over 300.

@Sano You can also try trap bar deadlifts. It's been helping me in regards to a similar issue i had the last time i pulled over 300.
Hey my man!

I actually tried the trapbar for the first time ever like a month ago. Felt a little weird, definitely different, but that's another option yes. Seems like it would transfer a little better to most activities too.

I've not given up on the conventional completely, but I'll put it on the backburner for now and work other variations.

Last edited:
Cardio:
- Jump Rope + shadowboxing for about 20 min

BW:

- Beginner shrimps (2nd): 7 reps each side
- Half rep dips (2nd): 5 reps
- Hanging straight leg raises (2nd): 6 reps
- Decline pike pushups (3d): 5 reps
- One leg elevated Inverted rows (2nd): 5 reps
- Side plank (2nd): 35 sec each
x3 set

This was pretty rough today.

Misc:
- Mobility warmup
- Band work for posture and external rotation
- A few sets of overhead presses unilaterally with dumbbells (focus on activating serratus anterior) and some curls.

I really wanna try this soon:

I was with a few classmates at the gym at my school, and as we were about to start, some guys walks in and tells us that the whole room has to be rearranged and that they have two trucks outside with new equipment. So I thought what the hell and I helped them carry it indoors, before working out. The faster they were done, the faster I could get to my workout. Didn't take more than about 45 minutes.

Cardio:

- Jump Rope for about 15-20 min
- Shadowboxing

BW:

- Beginner shrimps (2nd): 7 reps each side
- One arm elevated pushups (3d): 4 reps each side
- Hanging straight leg raises (2nd): 6 reps
- Decline pike pushups (3d): 6 reps
- One leg elevated Inverted rows (2nd): 6 reps
x3 set

Misc:
- Mobility warmup
- Circuit of bandwork for external rotators, clam with band, HIT/explosive shadowboxing and lateral raises with small dumbbells
x3

Was actually very spent after this session today.

Last edited:
I really wanna try this soon:

I'm a big fan of that exercise. Feels great on my shoulders and also stresses the forearms heavily because grip is so important.

I'm a big fan of that exercise. Feels great on my shoulders and also stresses the forearms heavily because grip is so important.
Yeah It makes sense how it would theoretically help your shoulders out. I'll play around with it soon!

Cardio:
- Running/walking/shadowboxing for about an hour.

Last edited:
Not sure if you've seen this or not, but maybe some of this stuff can help with deadlifts

Back