Emulation on Television : Any best all in one solution?

Quinton Overeem

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Hi folks, I'd like to play any console from Snes to PS2 (or at least PS1) games on my tv with a unique hardware system.

I'd like this hardware to not be a PC, that I can use like a console. I also want to use controllers, saves controller configs for each console. I want NO compatibility issue or bug.

I already use emulation on my PC and on my PSP so I know the basics.

What are the best solution, sherbros?

Hi folks, I'd like to play any console from Snes to PS2 (or at least PS1) games on my tv with a unique hardware system.

I'd like this hardware to not be a PC, that I can use like a console. I also want to use controllers, saves controller configs for each console. I want NO compatibility issue or bug.

The only way you are doing that is with a PC.

Raspberry Pi, with retro pi. Can do up to PS1 relatively comfortably I believe. I've only used it for SNES and Mega Drive so far though.

Raspberry Pi, with retro pi. Can do up to PS1 relatively comfortably I believe. I've only used it for SNES and Mega Drive so far though.

lol so basically a PC. Just use a PC I have no idea why you wouldn't want to do that. I think Kodi has a nice setup for emulation and all that.

PC. at best you could use an nvidia shield but it won't play ps2, i've seen videos of it running gamecube and saturn but i could never get them running right.

The only way you are doing that is with a PC.
I'm seconding this. You ask for the grail solution, but then rule out the grail.

Your best chance outside a PC is the $300 version of the NVIDIA Shield TV (this more expensive version has 500GB of space for storing profiles and games).

lol so basically a PC. Just use a PC I have no idea why you wouldn't want to do that. I think Kodi has a nice setup for emulation and all that.

A £40 pc that you can stick in your pocket, that you can sit under you tv and takes up very little space. And if you don't want the hassle of setting them up and downloading/installing retro pi / roms you can usually buy one that is set up and fully loaded for about £60-80. Show me a PC that would fit that profile for £40 or less.

A £40 pc that you can stick in your pocket, that you can sit under you tv and takes up very little space. And if you don't want the hassle of setting them up and downloading/installing retro pi / roms you can usually buy one that is set up and fully loaded for about £60-80. Show me a PC that would fit that profile for £40 or less.

If money is an issue sure go this route. For about $160 you can build a very small HTPC that can do the same and way way more. Like emulating Zelda BOTW.

If money is an issue sure go this route. For about $160 you can build a very small HTPC that can do the same and way way more. Like emulating Zelda BOTW.

Mine is literally used as a retro games console. I've got a relatively decent spec PC that I use for anything else, gaming, video editing and such. But there's no chance I'd carry that around. If you want something that is just for playing roms I don't think there's a better option.

If you are just wanting to play up to playstation then the raspberry pi is the way to go. Anything higher you will probably need a pc. However if you want to play N64 then you would probably want to look into the nvidia shield TV.

There is also an emulation console called the dreamcade replay that just ended funding on kickstarter. It is can play N64 as well as all the older consoles but won't be available till December at the earliest and will be about $120.

I've been looking for the same thing as well

As for glitches and bugs, I've never experienced emulation without them. Specially when you get to N64 and higher. and I've played on many of my friends set ups.

I think a cheap laptop can run ps2 games. I know you said no pc, but I can't fathom why. You can plug it into your tv and use any USB controller

I find that Rasp Pi some cool stuff.
You can do a lot with that.

Back