"empty deep half guard" ? Has anyone seen this?

mataleaos

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I have no idea what to call this. Nate Orchard uses it a lot. Check the match below from 3:08-3:30 and again from 8:53-9:18. The 2nd one ends up more of a scramble.

It's almost like a Homer Simpson or a classic deep half sweep except he doesn't have a leg trapped. So it's almost like a double unders pass but from the bottom?

Anyone ever have success with this?

So it's almost like a double unders pass but from the bottom?

I think that's the best way to describe it lol.

Just taking the whole 'go out the back door' to it's logical conclusion you know?

This is a 10th Planet thing that is really annoying until you get used to it. I train with a 10th Planet brown belt a fair amount, and when we first started training he'd catch me with this shit all the time. Rarely sweeps you, but it's really good for disrupting the flow of your attack and reguarding.

Reminds me a sweep I use from bottom mount- garbage man sweep / escape. Only difference is I use one of the arms to catch his arm (from under his leg) and insert my knee in, and pendulum up on top.

It was from some old DVD and I can't find it on youtube, but it works really well and seems to even catch high ranks off guard.

This is a 10th Planet thing that is really annoying until you get used to it. I train with a 10th Planet brown belt a fair amount, and when we first started training he'd catch me with this shit all the time. Rarely sweeps you, but it's really good for disrupting the flow of your attack and reguarding.
It's not Kevin Berbrich is it? He's a 10p brown belt that does this a lot too.

At the last EBI Kevin was doing this and getting himself all the way into turtling and sliding right into brabo chokes. He did it twice in his first match but wasn't able to finish either choke. It would've been a highlight reel sequence if he did. The first choke was a little bit lose but the 2nd one happened with like 10 seconds left and it seemed like the guy got saved by the bell.

We need a witty 10th planet code name to make the technique easier to remember and to have something that the coach can yell without the opponent being forewarned.
I suggest the "Deep Throat".

I have no idea what to call this. Nate Orchard uses it a lot. Check the match below from 3:08-3:30 and again from 8:53-9:18. The 2nd one ends up more of a scramble.

It's almost like a Homer Simpson or a classic deep half sweep except he doesn't have a leg trapped. So it's almost like a double unders pass but from the bottom?

Anyone ever have success with this?

It is not a sweep.

It is a reversal.

We use to call it the back door escape...cool name and very ironic indeed .

Back