Elon Musk launches Neuralink, a venture to merge the human brain with AI

I will never, ever do that

I'd hold you down and let them do it to you. There's not a damn thing you could do about it either. You'd struggle but my superior strength and technique would keep you pinned while they do their thing. Also, I might let those prison guys do stuff to you too.. you know, the ones that did stuff to Derek Vineyard.

Will this make it so anyone can become an expert in anything?
It's certainly within the realm of possibility. Most knowledge and skills are products of neural pathways that have been developed. It may be theoretically possible to download and upload knowledge, skills, memories, etc. You may even be able to try them out to see if you like it. Ever wanted to go skydiving? You can download the memories of someone who has, experiencing all the sights, sounds, feelings, etc. that they felt. The possibilities seem almost endless.

I am 100% for this.Where do I sign up?

the shit is transfering yourself to a PC, Robot or some shit not as great as your own body.

Being chipped sounds sketchy to me. Perhaps it's because I've watched too much TV, or because I've done too much people watching.

I mean, we could end up with a Luther/Braniac, and that's something nobody wants.

389637-171584-brainiac.jpg

So yea, while there's a really fascinating and idealistic upside to this that sounds nice, the potential evil that can be done with such technology seems something worth being hesitant about at this stage in our spiritual evolution. If you allow yourself to be chipped, whoever has their hands on the controls of said chip's operational functions, controls you. And people cannot be trusted.

Just don't connect the chip to anything external and use a faraday cage around your head. Magneto knew what he was doing.

Tony Stark should NOT create Ultron

..again.
If Tony Stark doesn't create Ultron then Hitler will. Ultron is an inevitability. So, who do you want to have it first?

This technology, general artificial intelligence, offers infinite intelligence, infinite power, infinite technological advancement, will cost pennies, and will be able to be made anywhere by anyone. There's no stopping it. There's only hoping that you're the one in control of it, if anyone can control it at all.

In all honesty, this is just the next stage of evolution. Humanity is at its end and you pretty much just have to accept it. There's nothing you can do about it. It's just the natural state of things.

If I believed in god or a higher power, I'd say this was his plan for humanity: to be a stepping stone between the animal kingdom and artificial intelligence. Our purpose has been fulfilled and we're not needed anymore. So, we're going to get deleted.

The only way an obsolete program avoids getting deleted on your computer is by updating itself to remain relevant. So, if you want to survive, that's what you should focus on. There is no alternative. There is no happy ending here. It just is what it is and you adapt or die.

Last edited:
This whole thing reminds of Arthur C Clarke's Childhood's End.

ChildhoodsEnd%281stEd%29.jpg

"
Men called them Overlords
They had come from outer space—
they had brought peace
and prosperity to Earth
But then the change began.
It appeared first in the children
—frightening, incomprehensible.
Now the Overlords made their announcement:
This was to be the first step
in the elimination of the human race
and the beginning of—What?

—Original back cover quote, paperback edition"

Earth and the Overlords[edit]
In the late 20th century, the United States and the Soviet Union are competing to launch the first spaceship into orbit, for military purposes (book written in 1953 before Sputnik). When vast alien spaceships suddenly position themselves above Earth's principal cities, the space race ceases. After one week, the aliens announce they are assuming supervision of international affairs, to prevent humanity's extinction. They become known as the Overlords. In general, they let humans go on conducting their affairs in their own way. They overtly interfere only twice: in South Africa, where sometime before their arrival Apartheid had collapsed and was replaced with savage persecution of the white minority; and in Spain, where they put an end to bull fighting. Some humans are suspicious of the Overlords' benign intent, as they never visibly appear. The Overlord Karellen, the "Supervisor for Earth," who speaks directly only to Rikki Stormgren, the Secretary-General of the United Nations, tells Stormgren that the Overlords will reveal themselves in 50 years, when humanity will have become used to their presence. Stormgren smuggles a device onto Karellen's ship in an attempt to see Karellen's true form. He succeeds, is shocked, and chooses to keep silent.

The Golden Age

Humankind enters a golden age of prosperity at the expense of creativity. Five decades after their arrival, the Overlords reveal their appearance, resembling the traditional Christian folk images of demons: large bipeds with cloven hooves, leathery wings, horns, and tails. The Overlords are interested in psychic research, which humans suppose is part of their anthropological study. Rupert Boyce, a prolific book collector on the subject, allows one Overlord, Rashaverak, to study these books at his home. To impress his friends with Rashaverak's presence, Boyce holds a party, during which he makes use of a Ouija board. Jan Rodricks, an astrophysicist and Rupert's brother-in-law, asks the identity of the Overlords' home star. George Greggson's future wife Jean faints as the Ouija board reveals a star-catalog number consistent with the direction in which Overlord supply ships appear and disappear. With the help of an oceanographer friend Jan Rodricks stows away on an Overlord supply ship and travels 40 light-years to their home planet. Due to the time dilation of special relativity at near-light speeds, the elapsed time on the ship is only a few weeks, and he arranges to endure it in drug-induced hibernation.

The Last Generation[edit]
Although humanity and the Overlords have peaceful relations, some believe human innovation is being suppressed and that culture is becoming stagnant. One of these groups establishes New Athens, an island colony in the middle of the Pacific Ocean devoted to the creative arts, which George and Jean Greggson join. The Overlords conceal a special interest in the Greggsons' children, Jeffrey and Jennifer Anne, and intervene to save Jeffrey's life when a tsunami strikes the island. The Overlords have been watching them since the incident with the Ouija board, which revealed the seed of the coming transformation hidden within Jean.

Sixty years after the Overlords' arrival, human children, beginning with the Greggsons', begin to display clairvoyance and telekinetic powers. Karellen reveals the Overlords' purpose; they serve the Overmind, a vast cosmic intelligence, born of amalgamated ancient civilizations, and freed from the limitations of material existence. The Overlords themselves are unable to join the Overmind, but serve it as a bridge species, fostering other races' eventual union with it.

As Karellen explains, the time of humanity as a race composed of single individuals with a concrete identity is coming to an end. The children's minds reach into each other and merge into a single vast group consciousness. If the Pacific were to be dried up, the islands dotting it would lose their identity as islands and become part of a new continent; in the same way, the children cease to be the individuals which their parents knew and become something else, completely alien to the "old type of human".

For the transformed children's safety - and also because it is painful for their parents to see what they had become - they are segregated on a continent of their own. No more human children are born, and many parents die or commit suicide. The members of New Athens destroy themselves with a nuclear bomb.

Jan Rodricks emerges from hibernation on the Overlord supply ship and arrives on their planet. The Overlords permit him a glimpse of how the Overmind communicates with them. When Jan returns to Earth (approximately 80 years after his departure by Earth time) he finds an unexpectedly altered planet. Humanity has effectively become extinct, and he is now the last man alive. Hundreds of millions of children – no longer fitting what Rodricks defines as "human" – remain on the quarantined continent, having become a single intelligence readying themselves to join the Overmind.

Some Overlords remain on Earth to study the children from a safe distance. When the evolved children mentally alter the Moon's rotation and make other planetary manipulations, it becomes too dangerous to remain. The departing Overlords offer to take Rodricks with them, but he chooses to stay to witness Earth's end, and transmit a report of what he sees.

Before they depart, Rodricks asks Rashaverak what encounter the Overlords had with humanity in the past, according to an assumption that the fear that humans had of their "demonic" form was due to a traumatic encounter with them in the distant past; but Rashaverak explains that the primal fear experienced by humans was not due to a racial memory, but a racial premonition of the Overlords' role in their metamorphosis.

The Overlords are eager to escape from their own evolutionary dead end by studying the Overmind, so Rodricks's information is potentially of great value to them. By radio, Rodricks describes a vast burning column ascending from the planet. As the column disappears, Rodricks experiences a profound sense of emptiness when the Overlords have gone. Then material objects and the Earth itself begin to dissolve into transparency. Jan reports no fear, but a powerful sense of fulfillment. The Earth evaporates in a flash of light. Karellen looks back at the receding Solar System and gives a final salute to the human species.

I'd hold you down and let them do it to you. There's not a damn thing you could do about it either. You'd struggle but my superior strength and technique would keep you pinned while they do their thing. Also, I might let those prison guys do stuff to you too.. you know, the ones that did stuff to Derek Vineyard.

I would <{cuts}>

SpaceX and Tesla CEO Elon Musk is backing a brain-computer interface venture called Neuralink, according to The Wall Street Journal. The company, which is still in the earliest stages of existence and has no public presence whatsoever, is centered on creating devices that can be implanted in the human brain, with the eventual purpose of helping human beings merge with software and keep pace with advancements in artificial intelligence. These enhancements could improve memory or allow for more direct interfacing with computing devices.

Musk has hinted at the existence of Neuralink a few times over the last six months or so. More recently, Musk told a crowd in Dubai, “Over time I think we will probably see a closer merger of biological intelligence and digital intelligence.” He added that “it's mostly about the bandwidth, the speed of the connection between your brain and the digital version of yourself, particularly output." On Twitter, Musk has responded to inquiring fans about his progress on a so-called “neural lace,” which is sci-fi shorthand for a brain-computer interface humans could use to improve themselves.
These types of brain-computer interfaces exist today only in science fiction. In the medical realm, electrode arrays and other implants have been used to help ameliorate the effects of Parkinson’s, epilepsy, and other neurodegenerative diseases. However, very few people on the planet have complex implants placed inside their skulls, while the number of patients with very basic stimulating devices number only in the tens of thousands. This is partly because it is incredibly dangerous and invasive to operate on the human brain, and only those who have exhausted every other medical option choose to undergo such surgery as a last resort.

This has not stopped a surge in Silicon Valley interest from tech industry futurists who are interested in accelerating the advancement of these types of far-off ideas. Kernel, a startup created by Braintree co-founder Bryan Johnson, is also trying to enhance human cognition. With more than $100 million of Johnson’s own money — the entrepreneur sold Braintree to PayPal for around $800 million in 2013 — Kernel and its growing team of neuroscientists and software engineers are working toward reversing the effects of neurodegenerative diseasesand, eventually, making our brains faster and smarter and more wired.

http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/27/15077864/elon-musk-neuralink-brain-computer-interface-ai-cyborgs

Satan is smiling.

Why can't we just stop.

Just give me a sex android, screw this other shit.

We all know Musk is striving for this....
IMG_1018.JPG

If Tony Stark doesn't create Ultron then Hitler will. Ultron is an inevitability. So, who do you want to have it first?

This technology, general artificial intelligence, offers infinite intelligence, infinite power, infinite technological advancement, will cost pennies, and will be able to be made anywhere by anyone. There's no stopping it. There's only hoping that you're the one in control of it, if anyone can control it at all.

In all honesty, this is just the next stage of evolution. Humanity is at its end and you pretty much just have to accept it. There's nothing you can do about it. It's just the natural state of things.

If I believed in god or a higher power, I'd say this was his plan for humanity: to be a stepping stone between the animal kingdom and artificial intelligence. Our purpose has been fulfilled and we're not needed anymore. So, we're going to get deleted.

The only way an obsolete program avoids getting deleted on your computer is by updating itself to remain relevant. So, if you want to survive, that's what you should focus on. There is no alternative. There is no happy ending here. It just is what it is and you adapt or die.

99124221did_not_read.gif

Back