Elite Sprinters and the 40-yard Dash

was that white guy this year the fastest white guy at the combine ever?

i think he had a flat 4.3
Kevin Curtis had IIRC a 4.35
i think Crouch ran a 4.36 at some pt before the combine where he was slower, but i could be wrong or maybe that was handtimed
Matt Jones was probably a bit more impressive w/ a high 4.39 or 4.4 being so damn tall
Tim Dwight i think was injured at the combined and ran bad, but i think ran a 4.35 prior and was successful in collegiate track so makes sense

pretty suspect after that, and other than that white guy that won the 400M after Michael Johnson (jeremy wariner i think?) not recalling too many fast white guys haha

So ESPN is running a feature, "The 20 Most Dominant Athletes of Our Time", and Usain Bolt was listed at #10. I cannot fathom how anyone could assemble a compelling list of a nine athletes all deserving to be ahead of him, but okay. We'll see.
http://www.espn.com/olympics/story/...spn-list-most-dominant-athletes-last-20-years

*Edit*
Oh, yeah. Here is the full list:
http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/st...on-james-most-dominant-athletes-last-20-years
LOL@Peyton #3. WTF kind of designer street drug has taken over in Bristol, these days?

Anyways, in the article, it said he had a 40-yd Dash time of 3.99s. Incredulous, I went to look that up, and I found a bunch of articles (not just the one that was sourced) that were trying to extrapolate his 40-yard time from looking at his best splits for the 100m between 30m and 40m. Obviously, this isn't totally fair to Usain, since he's not bursting for a pure 40, but subtracting time based on that fair argument cannot be reliable. This time isn't real.

nfl3.jpg

So another Google turned this video up. Impressive:

The thing is that Usain may not even be the best 40-yd dash runner due to his height. Sprinters already knew over 100 years ago that top speed wasn't even reached until the 40-yard mark. Obviously we would look to the 60m champions.

Usain's best split ever at 30m is 3.78s (ran three times including his 2008 and 2012 gold medal races). Apparently Michael Greene (JAM) in 1996 was .01s faster at that mark with 3.77s, but because at that point they've only traveled 32.8 yards, it's tough to believe he would still be ahead by the end of the dash; we know for a fact that Usain had already eclipsed him by 40m.

@senri, have any of these 60m or 100m champions taken a detour recently to specialize in the 40-yd dash training for a little bit just to see what they are capable of? Or at least taken some runs on a track like the guys above?

You just know that either LeBron James.. or one of the Williams sisters will be #1 on that list.

James would be a solid choice but lol if it's a broad.

i think Crouch ran a 4.36 at some pt before the combine where he was slower, but i could be wrong or maybe that was handtimed
Matt Jones was probably a bit more impressive w/ a high 4.39 or 4.4 being so damn tall
Tim Dwight i think was injured at the combined and ran bad, but i think ran a 4.35 prior and was successful in collegiate track so makes sense

pretty suspect after that, and other than that white guy that won the 400M after Michael Johnson (jeremy wariner i think?) not recalling too many fast white guys haha

Yeah, what's up with the athletic white dudes all the sudden? Where are they coming from?

Hand-timed, so it's not the same, but I think that was "official" according to the measurements of the time. Think he hit a 4.08, unofficially.

Factor that in and neither matches a 4.22 for the average person timing (+0.14s-0.19s).

lol

Lawdy, a 4.08 is insane. I remember watching him play tho, and it was incredible how big and fast he was. If that dude got even a wink of daylight he was gone. Bo would get my vote as maybe the best pure athlete I've ever seen in terms of size/speed/strength combo.

Another one, and this is a little odd (not for the NFL tho I guess) is Urlacher -I'll never forget a game the Bears played against the Falcons when Vick was in his prime, Vick took off on a run along the sideline and Brian caught him from behind. Vick turned around and looked at him (most likely to see who it was too) and mouthed 'what the fuck', Brian just smiled lol.

I think Vick later commented on how insanely fast Urlacher was after the game too.

Yeah, what's up with the athletic white dudes all the sudden? Where are they coming from?
Probably all the steroids and hormones pumped into our beef starting to manifest

Europe uses more natural beef and not alot of athletic fast guys despite providing much of our white ancestrage

Coincidence?

Probably all the steroids and hormones pumped into our beef starting to manifest

Europe uses more natural beef and not alot of athletic fast guys despite providing much of our white ancestrage

Coincidence?

Used be all they has was Jason Sehorn and Jason Williams. Now they're like, everywhere.

Bo is a freak no doubt. Even among the beautiful ebony entities among us, still he is a rare being. I would have loved to taste his flesh during his prime...
He's still alive bro, you could find him and probably score some gravy of his essence if you were properly deferential to his heat.

With Bo it was really about a guy that size running that fast. It was like watching a truck that could outrun a sprint car. Bo could have beat John Ross' time carrying Ross on his back. (more or less a joke but you get what I'm saying;))

Bo was a once in a lifetime guy. I was obsessed with him when I was a kid. I had his shoes. ha

How about these motherfucking Asians in our skeleton program? I'm surprised nobody else has freaked out about that. I was like, "Goddamn! Nathan Crumpton is no fucking joke! Where the hell did this guy come from?"

2.jpg

After all, in that video, he goes out and runs a 4.29s 40-yd dash with both ends electronically timed. That's faster than anybody this year at the NFL Combine (4.32 was the top time), and that' faster than all but eight men in the last 13 years of the Combine; half of those eight ran a 4.28s, btw.

He mentioned that he also has a broad jump over 11'. Only four guys at the NFL Combine did 11'1" or better this year. Only fifteen guys in NFL Combine history have done 11'3" or better.

He also said that he can hit 30m in "just over three and a half seconds" despite that his PR in the 100m was just a 10.8s (can't tell you how many fat guys I've met on barstools who boasted to have ran faster than that in their youth, you know, before taking an arrow to the knee, merely because they are ignorant enough to believe sub-11s times aren't very fast, and that they're making a credible claim).

How about these motherfucking Asians in our skeleton program? I'm surprised nobody else has freaked out about that. I was like, "Goddamn! Nathan Crumpton is no fucking joke! Where the hell did this guy come from?"

2.jpg

After all, in that video, he goes out and runs a 4.29s 40-yd dash with both ends electronically timed. That's faster than anybody this year at the NFL Combine (4.32 was the top time), and that' faster than all but eight men in the last 13 years of the Combine; half of those eight ran a 4.28s, btw.

He mentioned that he also has a broad jump over 11'. Only four guys at the NFL Combine did 11'1" or better this year. Only fifteen guys in NFL Combine history have done 11'3" or better.

He also said that he can hit 30m in "just over three and a half seconds" despite that his PR in the 100m was just a 10.8s (can't tell you how many fat guys I've met on barstools who boasted to have ran faster than that in their youth, you know, before taking an arrow to the knee, merely because they are ignorant enough to believe sub-11s times aren't very fast, and that they're making a credible claim).

Black curly hair. Suspected Blasian atm

Black curly hair. Suspected Blasian atm
Fair enough, but those curls could just as easily come from a white racial heritage while the dark hair is the dominant gene from his Asian ancestry.

In the surfer picture he strongly resembles Colin Kaepernick, to a degree, but in the posted video, my assumption was that he's part Japanese/Korean/Islander and part European in ancestry.

I wish we had these sorts of measurements for rugby players, I think americans sometimes go a bit overboard with the raw numbers, but some of this stuff is obviously interesting and makes for fun comparisons. Jonah Lomu was the nearest thing we had to Bo Jackson in terms of someone that big and powerful, but who was also incredibly fast and athletic...though he was bigger than Bo, and presumably slower. He was asked to sign for the Dallas Cowboys in the 90s so we could have got his measurables then. He ran a sub-11 second 100m at 6"5 and 120kgs or so, not sure how he would have done in the 40.

I want these kinds of measurements for soccer players too, so I can compare.

2.jpg

Wait is that this guy?

More impressive than all of the mentioned runners is that Darrell Green ran 4.2 at 40 yrs of age and 4.4 at 50 yrs of age.

http://www.espn.com/blog/sportscent...-darrell-green-is-still-faster-than-all-of-us

his speed was insane. I remember him running down twenty year old receivers from behind in his early forties like they were standing still.

Another one, and this is a little odd (not for the NFL tho I guess) is Urlacher -I'll never forget a game the Bears played against the Falcons when Vick was in his prime, Vick took off on a run along the sideline and Brian caught him from behind. Vick turned around and looked at him (most likely to see who it was too) and mouthed 'what the fuck', Brian just smiled lol.

I think Vick later commented on how insanely fast Urlacher was after the game too.
yeah especially crazy for a 230-240 pound guy. He returned in college too.

EDIT apparently more like 260 yikes

Last edited:
If you look at the best times for the 200m vs 100m, it appears that you actually reach top speed post-100m (for instance when Michael Johnson got the world record for the 200 meters at the 1996 Summer Olympics, his time of 19.32 was comparatively faster than Donovan Bailey's world record 9.84 set at the same Olympics). But sport-specific, 40 yards is probably the best measure of speed and explosiveness on the football field.

his speed was insane. I remember him running down twenty year old receivers from behind in his early forties like they were standing still.

The most impressive thing that I remember (and it's an indictment of just how old I am :( ) was him running down Eric Dickerson when Dickerson was clear of everyone. No one ever ran him down. It won the game because they held the Rams to a FG.

If you look at the best times for the 200m vs 100m, it appears that you actually reach top speed post-100m (for instance when Michael Johnson got the world record for the 200 meters at the 1996 Summer Olympics, his time of 19.32 was comparatively faster than Donovan Bailey's world record 9.84 set at the same Olympics). But sport-specific, 40 yards is probably the best measure of speed and explosiveness on the football field.

It's still anaerobic and you have a running start the second 100m.

It also tends to not be the person who gets the fastest speed, but the person who decelerates the slowest.

Damn. That's incredible.

But to know that Bo Jackson actually matched that (almost!) at 225 lbs while he had the skill to compete professionally in two of the major 3 ball sports....

[<dunn]

Bo really did know.

Bo Jackson has been named Greatest Athlete of all time by ESPN sports science. He's so legendary that it doesn't even seem real. Bo is the only man in history to ever be named to an NFL Pro Bowl and to an MLB All Star game during the same season. That means Bo was one of the best football players in the world while simultaneously being one of the best baseball players in the world. How is that even possible?

For anyone interested this is a short 3 minute clip highlighting some of the things Bo Jackson would do. He has been unmatched in sports history as far as pure athleticism.

wasnt don beebe supposed to be really fast?

Back