Elias Theodorou's Striking

ArtemV

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
What do you think about it?

I really don't understand how he wins, he throws a lot non-effective kicks and somehow gets the win over fighters who can't get close enough to land effective shots.

How does it work? He is by far, one of the worst MW strikers with almost no boxing.

I remember his fights with Brad Tavares that he somehow thinks that he won and his fight with Thiago Santos, which he thought was close... but it was Theodorou who tried his hardest to take Santos down with shitty takedowns and couldn't get Santos down, then in the second and third, Theodorou was gassed and Santos beat him up with hard knees.

I don't understand it, even his head kicks do very little, how far can a guy get with egregious kicks, worse boxing and footwork that involves dancing around and spamming round kicks to the body and legs...

What do you think about it?

I really don't understand how he wins, he throws a lot non-effective kicks and somehow gets the win over fighters who can't get close enough to land effective shots.

How does it work? He is by far, one of the worst MW strikers with almost no boxing.

I remember his fights with Brad Tavares that he somehow thinks that he won and his fight with Thiago Santos, which he thought was close... but it was Theodorou who tried his hardest to take Santos down with shitty takedowns and couldn't get Santos down, then in the second and third, Theodorou was gassed and Santos beat him up with hard knees.

I don't understand it, even his head kicks do very little, how far can a guy get with egregious kicks, worse boxing and footwork that involves dancing around and spamming round kicks to the body and legs...

U answered the question yourself, he throws alot, he moves alot and has awkward timing/movement....

most guys in mixed martial arts don't have the footwork, distance mgmt, accuracy or combination striking to make him pay for it; esp given the danger he presents on the ground, many allow him to work cus they don't want to risk getting in a scramble or worse taken down clean

U answered the question yourself, he throws alot, he moves alot and has awkward timing/movement....

most guys in mixed martial arts don't have the footwork, distance mgmt, accuracy or combination striking to make him pay for it; esp given the danger he presents on the ground, many allow him to work cus they don't want to risk getting in a scramble or worse taken down clean
I just don't understand how, they have absolutely nothing to fear about his game... what danger does he present on the ground? I respect that he won the ultimate fighter, but he has such an ugly and ineffective game... why should anybody be scared to engage with him? Santos didn't care at all and walked through his bs and hit him hard, same with Tavares.

It's funny because by watching him you wouldn't realize that he has a 14-2 record. It doesn't make much sense.

But as Devante said, his awkwardness is certainly a puzzle that can be difficult for some people to solve.

I've always found it easier sparring (boxing) or rolling with people who have experience and are doing most things 'technically correct'. When they're not doing things as you expect them to, it is almost like a new layer of complexity.

Santos didn't care at all and walked through his bs and hit him hard, same with Tavares.

That's the key right there. Some people are wired to go forward, and some people can adjust. But there are many fighters out there that have a great deal of difficulty in adjusting their strategy (Alvey is one of them).

I never pay attention when he fights because his fights are like watching paint dry = boring af.
- I agree with op I have no clue how that guy can keep winning and keep he's contract.

Back