Elbows

Silver tongue samurai

Ronin
@Blue
Reaction score
Iv recently fallen in love with using my elbows in sparring (semi thanks to @shincheckin and his Corbett thread(Watched both McKinnon fights last night wow) it is a weapon that people are having a lot of problems with because of the distance they are used.

mainly iv used the lead up elbow to enter clinch range, the rear overhand elbow after getting them use to a cross coming, collapsing a stiff arm to an elbow and iv even thrown a combination with three elbow strikes including a reverse elbow ala Silva

What are some elbow techniques you guys use or if you have any tips on throwing them it would be appreciated

Iv recently fallen in love with using my elbows in sparring (semi thanks to @shincheckin and his Corbett thread(Watched both McKinnon fights last night wow) it is a weapon that people are having a lot of problems with because of the distance they are used.

mainly iv used the lead up elbow to enter clinch range, the rear overhand elbow after getting them use to a cross coming, collapsing a stiff arm to an elbow and iv even thrown a combination with three elbow strikes including a reverse elbow ala Silva

What are some elbow techniques you guys use or if you have any tips on throwing them it would be appreciated

generally speaking you dont come in with a elbow, its better to set it up with your hands first. not that you cant or that it impossible to come in with a elbow, but for the most part it needs to be setup with your hands first, which could be a hand or trap. maybe i should make another video on elbows, i forget or think that alot of the stuff i know is basic stuff or common knowledge, when in reality it may not be.

generally speaking you dont come in with a elbow, its better to set it up with your hands first. not that you cant or that it impossible to come in with a elbow, but for the most part it needs to be setup with your hands first, which could be a hand or trap. maybe i should make another video on elbows, i forget or think that alot of the stuff i know is basic stuff or common knowledge, when in reality it may not be.

Found this lil gem in my quest for knowledge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSPk5ntAG9E

Id watch that. About to binge the five you just gave me as well haha

Found this lil gem in my quest for knowledge

Id watch that. About to binge the five you just gave me as well haha

those 2 fought each other, i think corbettt KO the first time they fought in like 10 seconds into the first round

I like using the jab to spear elbow. It works well since I tend to pump jabs and I end up masking it well.

Obv in the clinch its money. Even a light shot that doesn't do jack still stings

I like using the jab to spear elbow. It works well since I tend to pump jabs and I end up masking it well.

Obv in the clinch its money. Even a light shot that doesn't do jack still stings

Found i can land them well on bang bros that like to just shell up and come forward

Found i can land them well on bang bros that like to just shell up and come forward
Pretty much anything outside of raw strength and aggression works on bangbros, esp. something highly technical like clinch work

If you want see guys get wrecked with elbows, watch Muangthai's fights.

Wrist control, rolling elbow.

See Jouban vs Saunders for example.

You guys use elbows in sparring ? :O fucking hell guys hahah
Here’s me using my 16oz and using inside knees, you guys are savages

You guys use elbows in sparring ? :O fucking hell guys hahah
Here’s me using my 16oz and using inside knees, you guys are savages
Yep. I wear elbow pads when I do. I actually have a spare, years back I got the sizing wrong and coincidentally it fits on my main training partners perfectly.

samething, i use elbow pads when sparring, but i still only aim to lightly tap with them, its too easy to cut guys even with elbow pads on. I have done it twice in sparring unintentionally.

Yep. I wear elbow pads when I do. I actually have a spare, years back I got the sizing wrong and coincidentally it fits on my main training partners perfectly.
I wasn’t even aware of such equipment. Makes sense to have, hittting pads doesn’t really give you the true flow of the combo

I wasn’t even aware of such equipment. Makes sense to have, hittting pads doesn’t really give you the true flow of the combo
Its good, but still not the same as bare. Even a good pad where its snug yet feels loose, I still feel the circulation getting cut off in the latter rounds

Have you guys ever seen this Rambaa said he invented it and they dubbed it the "pistol whip" elbow.

I think it should be called the manlet elbow since he came up with it because he was shorter than his opponents. looks pretty sick and you can get some good power from it
http://8limbs.us/muay-thai-technique/brutal-work-rambaa-somdet-m16-elbow-never-seen

i have used it a few times a few differetn fights. but it didnt land clean so it wasnt effective, not saying its not effective, just that when i did it, it wasnt. more practice.

How do you use them in sparring? Headgear? Elbow pads? Stopping before you hit? Or just going to the body?
<{vega}>

Back