Elbow in the throad during rolling, normal?

You're trying to choke the other guy unconscious. Outside of causing injury and being unsanitary (as opposed to simple discomfort), manners are an orthoganal concept to grappling.
I do not disagree with that. Even non-technical choke is, technically, a choke. :) I am just saying that there are better, more efficient ways to do the same. Speed and pain do work, and they have their place at judo tournaments, for instance. In bjj sparring there is really no need for that.

I do not disagree with that. Even non-technical choke is, technically, a choke. :) I am just saying that there are better, more efficient ways to do the same. Speed and pain do work, and they have their place at judo tournaments, for instance. In bjj sparring there is really no need for that.

Sure. Everyone should try to be more efficient all the time. However, perfect technique isn't always possible, and giving up positions that are "good enough" is a bad habit unless you totally outclass your opponent. The most overall efficient option available to you might be to finish an imperfect choke by applying unpleasant amounts of pressure.

You're trying to choke the other guy unconscious. Outside of causing injury and being unsanitary (as opposed to simple discomfort), manners are an orthoganal concept to grappling.

I have no idea what "orthogonal" means but besides that I agree with this post

There's this new girl that's a beginner white belt that has a very nice proportionate curvy body, she likes to smash her boobs in my face when I'm playing half guard. But I'm not complaining.

go on..

There's this new girl that's a beginner white belt that has a very nice proportionate curvy body, she likes to smash her boobs in my face when I'm playing half guard. But I'm not complaining.

<14>

This is a very popular quote and I know a Gracie said it, but it's kind of dumb. I can submit a child by gripping their forearm really hard until it hurts. That doesn't make it good Jiu Jitsu.

I'd say it's a good quote if you add some nuance. If it works on adult world champion level black belts of equal size consistently it's good jiu jitsu.

So pressure passing, which causes pain and if you are doing it correctly sometimes makes your opponent want you to pass isn't technical? Putting a shoulder or forearm into the neck isn't the proper way to pressure pass? Please do tell the proper technical way to pressure pass without a little bit of discomfort and pain? Please tell me how a good pressure passer is not technical?

When I first started there was a guy that used to cover my mouth and nose with his hand. I started doing it too until someone said it was "rude jiu jitsu".

When I first started there was a guy that used to cover my mouth and nose with his hand. I started doing it too until someone said it was "rude jiu jitsu".
lol, I had a black belt just smother me one time. I would try and move my head to either side to try to even get sips of air but he wasn't having it. He gave a little bit of room and I think ok here is my chance. He was just adjusting my face so he could crush my nose and block my mouth from breathing. It was no fun I tell you. It was just as rude as him going knee on belly until I tapped and him asking why did you tap? Lol. I told him. Dude, I can't breathe with that sort of pressure. He just laughed at me.

lol, I had a black belt just smother me one time. I would try and move my head to either side to try to even get sips of air but he wasn't having it. He gave a little bit of room and I think ok here is my chance. He was just adjusting my face so he could crush my nose and block my mouth from breathing. It was no fun I tell you. It was just as rude as him going knee on belly until I tapped and him asking why did you tap? Lol. I told him. Dude, I can't breathe with that sort of pressure. He just laughed at me.

We had a black belt who loved to smother people after the third roll or so, when everyone's uniforms were soaked. He'd mount, and then if you were defending the chokes he'd cover your mouth and nose with his gi top fabric. It feels like what I imagine the first few seconds of waterboarding are like. When you started to panic, he'd let you squirm enough to open up the neck and then cross choke. It was horrible. Effective, but horrible.

We had a black belt who loved to smother people after the third roll or so, when everyone's uniforms were soaked. He'd mount, and then if you were defending the chokes he'd cover your mouth and nose with his gi top fabric. It feels like what I imagine the first few seconds of waterboarding are like. When you started to panic, he'd let you squirm enough to open up the neck and then cross choke. It was horrible. Effective, but horrible.
AH yes the "abusive" black belt.

;)

So pressure passing, which causes pain and if you are doing it correctly sometimes makes your opponent want you to pass isn't technical? Putting a shoulder or forearm into the neck isn't the proper way to pressure pass? Please do tell the proper technical way to pressure pass without a little bit of discomfort and pain? Please tell me how a good pressure passer is not technical?
You can add oil check to the list. Some people say it helps guard passing.

If I put my forearm across guy's neck while passing I am not driving it into the neck. I do not want him to feel pain and start fighting and turning into me. I hold it loose enough so he can start turning away and I can finish the choke.

I find ironic how a guy calling himself 'napdonttap' makes a thread like this.

So whats what, either ur a 'ard kvnt or ur a soft kvnt m80.

i do not trainb bjj but went to a couple of classes under Ryan Gracie team here in São Paulo and the instructor used to encourage you to always make the situation more and more unconfortable for the opponent. That means using elbows, shoulders and whatever to dificult their breathing and cause discomfort. Especially if you are a girl rolling with a guy. We used to call "dar um abafa" or "amassar o oponente". That would translate to "stifling" or "smash the opponent".

I think is a good strategy to use on competitions.

Depends if it has a purpose or not. If it's "I'm gonna push on your throat/face/jaw with my forearm because I don't know what else to do from top half guard" - that's bad because it serves no purpose and can be countered. If it's keeping a strong lapel grip while you stack pass or use your breadcutter/papercutter choke, that's a good thing.

Make sure you burp the worm before training with the aforementioned young madam, or you could suffer an uncomfortable situation in class...

Good roll of thumb, if it's done to you, do it to them. For ex: if i'm about to enter the circle of our ex-heavyweight wrestler who's a cop, I know he's gonna do elbows on throat, cover my mouth, wrench my neck, grab my shorts, basically everything but bite me....so I WILL see to it that I do the same. Same can be said if i'm rolling with one of our smooth purples, i'll keep it a gentlemen's game, until THEY ramp it up (if they even do) I like rolling like this. it forces me to play a bit differently and keeps me tons of sparring partners cause they know what to expect from the roll.

Back